Power House Living Foods

• Vegan
Contact 250-591-7873

200 Commercial St (at downtown), Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada, V9R 5G7

Raw food restaurant and juice bar that's vegan, gluten-free, and does not use processed ingredients. Free Wi-Fi. Also an outlet at 6560 Metral Dr.

Category: Vegan, American, Organic, Western, Juice bar, Take-out, All Raw

First Review by Profound_Raincloud

Steep but healthy food - Edit

Well, definitely a hip, clean place with casual music and bright colours and lots of fruit everywhere.
I guess they focus mainly on smoothies since the range of different creations is pretty long, whereas food seems to be less in demand, but I might be wrong.
I was there twice and ate a raw pizza once with a smoothie and a piece of raw cake afterwards. The second day I tried a raw burger and another smoothie.
Almost needless to say that raw pizza and raw burger are quite different from "real" pizza & burger. But it was prepared creatively and tasted good.
The service was friendly and food was ready fairly quick. However, things are pretty pricey there, especially the cakes. As someone already mentioned below: 10 bucks for a really small piece of cake are pretty fancy.
Overall experience was good.

BEST Raw Food! - Edit

Hands down my most favorite place to visit when I go to Nanaimo! Irresistible "mylkshake" is out of this wooorld, a definite must have. Kale chips alone are worth a trip in. I'm pretty sure I've tried everything on the menu, and there is nothing I haven't absolutely loved from first bite. The desserts, the snacks, the drinks, the food, you will not be disappointed. Love you Power House!

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly Staff, Good Vibe

Unbelievably Expensive - Edit

I know it's raw and all, but this is the most expensive smoothie/dessert place I've ever been to in my life. $10 for a small piece of cake? $11 for a smoothie? Holy crap. Was it good? It was certainly fine, but my smoothie was just average, and the cake was solid. No rush to go back.

Amazing! - Edit

Amazing restaurant. Even though I'm vegan, I've never stopped at a raw food place, thinking it couldn't be very good. Healthy, sure, but probably not tasty. Power House has changed my perspective on Raw food completely and I'm so sad I was just traveling through so won't be able to eat there again. I ate an early dinner, and came back the next morning for an amazing smoothie. I had a hard time deciding, but settled on the falafel wrap. It's beyond my comprehension how you can make a wrap taste good with no flour type ingredient and the fact that it's raw. And same with the falafel... it's not cooked? Amazing flavor. The macadamia nut hummus was incredible too. Also, if you're lucky enough to be there when the owner Toni is there, be sure to say hello. Her love for raw food is infectious. But if you miss her, the staff also seem really passionate about their menu. And the desserts are fantastic too. So many delicious vegan, raw choices, was hard to choose. I picked the strawberry shortcake and Nanaimo bar, and shared them with my vegetarian and omnivore hosts, and they both loved them.

Pros: Amazing food, Incredible variety of vegan, raw food, Delicious desserts!

Cons: Close early (6pm)

Best Falafel on the Planet! - Edit

Raw foodies: Here is your samadhi/mecca/bardo! The totally raw food falafel wrap was exquisite and well-priced. Other wraps, juices, and the thai raw noodle salad were perfection!
Both sites in Nanaimo get crowded but staff and customers are likeable and, sometimes, show great enthusiasm for the fare.
Do save room for the Nanaimo Bar!
Giving both sites in Nanaimo 5(+) happy cows.

Pros: Food taste/quality/presentation, Prices, Tiny space--gotta love your neighbor

Cons: Blenders/juicers are loud, Tend to run low/out of items, Tiny space--gotta love your neighbor

Fresh and tasty - Edit

I've only eaten here once, but I will go back any chance I can get! I had the lasagna and caesar salad, which I had doubts would be good raw, but it was delicious! The cashew cream was so tasty!! I also had a taste of my mother's Pad Thai dish and it was very good too. The smoothies are also really good. It's a bit pricey, but the food is good quality and presented beautifully.

Pros: Delicious and fresh, raw and healthy

Cons: A bit pricey

Fresh, Fresh, Fresh! - Edit

Love the principles of this place.
Amazing smoothies, food and RAW goodies. Their cheesecakes and pies are drool worthy.
Food presentation is stunning.
Happy Cow is lying on the inexpensive part however. Ranges high on my scale. I understand Vegan, and especially Raw food prices are high but some places have made it slightly more affordable. PowerHouse has not, but the food is great and the quality pristine so worth it IMO
Didn't get a 5 star from me just because it is more a juice bar with limited menu.

Pros: crazy fresh, Raw, beautiful location

Cons: expensive, limited food menu

Delicious, but expensive - Edit

The food is great and so is the location if you're in or passing through downtown. I love the burger, but my favourite is definitely the pizza. It does not seem like a lot of food, but it is very filling. The cashew cheese on the pizza is out of this world amazing. The only downside is the price, which is not unlike other raw food eateries. A regular smoothie and an entree dish will set you back around 25 bucks.

Pros: Food, Friendly Staff

Cons: Cost, Wait Times

Our favourite place to eat in Nanaimo! - Edit

We live in Duncan, but we love Power House Living Foods so much that we have no problem driving 45 minutes just to eat there. I've had the pad thai salad and the lasagna with caesar salad and both were delicious and well presented. As far as dessert goes I've only tried the hazelnut cream pie, but that's because it's so good that I can't bring myself to order something different. For our baby we ordered the gazpacho, and it was so good that I ended up eating half of it for her.

Pros: Delicious food, Good Atmosphere, Great service

Cons: Not kid friendly

Honeymoon on the Island - Nanaimo - Edit

I'm in Nanaimo for my Honeymoon! I stopped into Power House Living Foods for lunch today and as usual scrutinized the menu for nightshade free fare. Then asked the dreaded question which of these items have no nightshades or can be made nightshade free! I was told, yes of course we can do nightshade free :) and recommended to try the Sweet Onion Veggie Wrap and the Power House Salad.

Both were amazing! The wrap itself was made of sweet onions! It was filled with fresh veggies and a cashew sauce. The power house salad was also delicious, the dressing was quite tasty! Everything was very fresh!

Service was good! We didn't have to wait along time for our food and the waitress brought us ice water with fresh cut oranges, which was a nice touch.

The hubster had never tried kale chips, they allowed us to sample the two different kinds they had. We bought bag to munch on for the rest of the trip. Best kale chips I have ever had!

Tomorrow I am going back for the raw Nanaimo bar and I can't wait!

Pros: Very Fresh, Friendly Staff

Return to Nanaimo Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Power House Living Foods closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3114 times since May 2012.