First Review by MyVeganJoy

Delicious Healthy Organic Macrobiotic Food - Edit

We love Potala. (And what seems like its sister restaurant - Shangri-La.) Potala is always such a lovely escape into its peaceful and kindness-filled setting, and food that you can feel is made with love. We appreciate a lot that we can trust the kitchen with choosing truly healthy organic ingredients and meals for us with none of the overstimulating or fake stuff. Always a good experience, always delicious and always a happy tummy afterwards. Thank you.

Pros: Delicious, Organic, Seasonal and Local

Surprisingly Delicious! - Edit

The first time I went here two years ago I was a meat eater. I went with a vegan friend on his birthday. When I looked at what was written on the menu board I had no idea what most of it was and it didn't look at all appetizing. I was quite pleasantly surprised and just keep cooing about the place to any vegetarians or vegans I knew. Then I never went back for 2 years. But I certainly about it all the time, thing was badder food choices won out I wasn't ready yet to make the better choices. Now I've been there 4 times in about a week and a half. I still don't know what most of the food is but I have confidence that I'm going to love it and I always get surprised again each time I eat there.

Pros: Heathy, Location, Prices

Cons: They don't deliver.

Delicious and unique - Edit

The staff told me it's a combination of Indian and Korean cuisine, but it definitely felt more like South Asian than Korean. They have one menu of the night and if you order the medium or large plate, you get a plate full of five different dishes and a bowl of soup. The flavors were fantastic, and it's all very reasonably priced. Very casual, comfortable space, with their own parking lot. And it's ALL organic and vegan. Yummy.

Pros: All organic and all delicious

Cons: No choice with the menu so if you're a picky eater

Delish! Vegan cheesecake? Darn tooting! - Edit

This is a vegan establishment and it has very tasty dishes that bring a lot of healthy flavor to each item. The menu is limited so don't go in with a hankering for something special. You get what they have prepared for the day! But if you're a vegan / veggie lover I'm sure the dish will be satisfying and enjoyable! It comes with a little salad, some rice, and cooked veg. Dessert is extra to the meal but worth it, very creative and yummy!

Best of Berkeley - Edit

This place was an incredible find. The daily meal is listed on a board and all you have to do is decide how large a plate you want. Since the salad was listed to include a dressing with olive oil in it, I opted out of that but had everything else. I ordered the medium plate and my boyfriend had the large. First course was a lentil soup that was flavorful and good. Then came a plate filled with about 5 other items, each very tasty and filling. My non-vegan boyfriend said he'd come back anytime (they had beer too, which made him happy). Although I am sugar free right now, their desserts looked divine.

Pros: great meals, peaceful ambiance, Willing to modify

NoGo people can eat here - Edit

I loved eating organic food at this restaurant. It is so wonderful to find Tibetan Buddhists finally understanding the vegan message. Now the idea of Green Tara works. For NoGo people (No Onion No Garlic) the meal is simple, clean and delicious. I will eat here every time I go to the Bay area when I am able. I love the Feng Shui of the building. A really great experience.

Pros: Vegan Tibetans, Simple Food Organic, Evolved clientel

Cons: bigger portions for more money is needed

great for pure people - Edit

Like other reviewer said simple, plant based, unprocessed whole food. Perhaps it's good for me but I get bored without spices. as an animal rights activist I wonder about the reputation that this type of vegan food makes, Perhaps it's undeserved, but this food can affirm the notion that food without animal bodies/products is bland or tasteless.

Pros: pure, simple

Cons: bland, boring

Health vegans will love - Edit

Not all the vegans I've brought here like it. It's earthy, honest food. Not deep fried, not processed, not fake meat.

However, health-nuts (vegan or not) seem to always love it. I also love it. It's so refreshing to eat a filling plate of veggies and beans and actually taste the suffer flavors of all the plant-based components. The soup and teas are a nice touch.

Pros: staff, not greasy, has parking

Cons: quiet (also pro), religious vibe, most fixed menu

One of our favorite restaurants - Edit

Delicious organic vegan food. They serve a full or medium meal that comes with soup and tea. The medium is usually enough for me. The menu changes, but a sample meal would be split pea/carrot/spinach soup, brown rice, sauteed cabbage and other veggies, beans of some sort, collard greens and a mixed salad. They have nice dressings and sauces. There is also the simple meal option that usually has brown rice, black eye peas, steamed veggies and collard greens.

Pros: Delicious!, organic, fully vegan restaurant

Cons: limited selection

Best vegan restaurant in Bay Area! - Edit

This place is amazing, particularly if you are health conscious and/or have a sensitivity to gluten. All organic ingredients, all gluten-free, and no processed, fried, or sugary foods. They also have a "simple meal" menu option with no oil or salt, just the delicious flavors of the carefully prepared legumes, green and root vegetables, and brown rice. Best and healthiest vegan restaurant in the Bay Area.

Pros: inexpensive, organic, gluten-free

Cons: none

Delicious & macrobiotic (vegan) - Edit

Potala is an incredibly beautiful food-as-art-form place. I always thought macrobiotic would be dull (I'm paying how much for beans and a pickle?) until I wound up on a trip to Paris eating at a couple of astoundingly good macrobiotic places. So that won me over. And Potala is as good as any place I ate in Paris - the food is both down-to-earth and exquisite.

You can get a full plate of food for $13.95 (it's worth a little extra!), a smaller plate for $11.95, or a simple plate for $8.95. It's always the food of the day, something different every time...a set of dishes arranged to go together perfectly. It doesn't really describe it to say that we had mung bean veggie with tahini soup, followed by a plate composed of a little mound of some kind of tender quinoa with carrots and parsley that had been cooked in a broth and surrounded by piles of a melting slowly cooked vegetable medley (broccoli, carrots, burdock, cauliflower), some kind of weirdly divine kidney bean in sauce, steamed collard greens in a luscious basil parsley sauce, a little bit of some kind of pickle, and a mixed green salad with "vinegar dressing." Then a little pudding-like thing of yam and carrot that was quite good too.

This place is a winner!

Pros: Kind waitstaff, delicious food, feel great afterward

Return to Albany Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Potala Organic Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3341 times since Nov 2011.