Contact 804-353-7678

1323 W Main St, Richmond, Virginia, USA, 23220

Serves meat, vegan options available. Offers separate vegan, vegetarian, and gluten free menus; ask the host. Choices include peppered cashew cheese appetizer, tofu bahn mi, bbq tofu entree, kale salad with smoked king mushrooms and cashew cheese, romaine salad with vegan blue cheese, brussels and fingerling potatoes. Seasonal menu. Mon-Sun 3:30pm-2:00am

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Organic, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by susanh

Postbellum - Edit

Edit: since my last post, they have changed the chef and menu. There are still vegan options, but less than there used to be. Most of the items I wrote about previously are no longer on their menu. They post the menu on their site, so I suggest looking at that before you go.

I've been here several times for dinner and brunch and it's been great every time. My favorite items are the vegan nachos, mock duck wings, and the pickle plate. They make vegan cheeses and dressings in house.

Original post: This is definitely one of the top places in Richmond I would recommend for vegans. Especially for brunch since those options can be limited and Postbellum's is so good.
Updated from previous review on Friday September 25, 2015

Pros: Vegan specific menu, Multiple vegan brunch options, The nachos!!

Cons: Can be loud on busy nights

sophisticated but good - Edit

I had the tofu entree (a little spicy but good, and VEGAN) and the apple pie (too bad it wasn't gluten free). The place is a little dark (you don't really see your food) and noisy. It was saturday night. Nice space though.

Pros: vo, vegan o, gfo, tasty

Cons: noise, dark

few options but incredible. - Edit

There aren't a ton of vegan options despite the separate vegan menu, but they have really perfected what they do offer. Expensive but completely stellar and creative vegan dishes. Love the truffle fries.

The waitress said they always have one vegan dessert.

Great Innovative Veggie Options - Edit

My new favorite non total veggie restaurant in Richmond. Whatever they do to the smoky mushrooms, tofu, and grits, they should keep it up because its delicious. Its always consistent and they also have a great beer selection! They also are thoughtful and take the time to print up separate menus with vegan and vegetarian options

Great restaurant - Edit

Just got back from an excellent vegan meal. We had the peppered cashew cheese to start and tofu banh mi for dinner and both loved it. This was a great find and wish we had time to go back again.

Do ask for the vegan menu since it makes things easier.

Pros: Friendly and attentive staff, Fresh, local produce

Cons: A bit on the noisy side

A Vegan Treat in Downtown Richmond! - Edit

Decided to try Postbellum as it’s in walking distance to Richmond’s Landmark theater where we had a program to attend Saturday night. Arrived at 6PM and were amazed to find it practically full but luckily got the last high-top table in the bar area. A great beer list and a good selection of wine as well. Separate menus for gluten-free, vegetarian, and a vegan- which I ordered from. I chose the Kale salad with cashew cheese and smoked mushrooms, and the tofu banh mi, (a Vietnamese sandwich) which based on the price, I thought would be small… wrong! The filling was wonderful and while I’m not a white bread fan I did eat the sandwich “as is” since I was really hungry. My carnivore date ordered a pork dish and the waiter gave him my dish by mistake; he didn’t even realize he was eating tofu till I pulled it away from him! Spicy and delicious!! The salad was wonderful and the kitchen prepares its own smoked mushrooms which are served in a wide variety of dishes … those mushrooms are absolutely meaty and to die for. I can’t imagine how early one has to arrive to be sure of a table (no reservations taken unless it’s for a party of 6 or more I think) … and a noisy crowd. Anxious to return and get more of those mushrooms and try another vegan dish or two. What a wonderful addition to Richmond’s growing restaurant scene … so unusual to find a vegan menu in the city with such innovative choices.

Pros: separate vegan menu, interesting and innovative items, big portions/reasonable priced

Cons: noisy, no reservations/hard to get a table

Return to Richmond Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Postbellum closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2519 times since Nov 2013.