Portfolio Coffeehouse

562-434-2486

2300 E 4th St (at Junipero), Long Beach, California, USA, 90814

Serves meat, vegan options available. A coffee shop in the heart of Long Beach's Retro Row offering vegetarian and vegan sandwich and salad options, vegan breakfast burrito and mac & cheese, in addition to coffee, tea, and juice. They carry soy milk and often carry vegan muffins and sweet breads. The Wild Chive, a vegan soul food vendor, offers brunch at Portfolio at weekends. Open Mon-Fri 5:30am-9:00pm, Sat-Sun 6:30am-9:00pm.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Non-veg

First Review by TB

excellent brunch food - Edit

There's now a Sunday brunch which is delicious and so welcomed. The Monte Cristo was fabulous, and the breakfast sandwich had a perfect touch of smokeyness. The service isn't completely there yet though, it seemed they were overwhelmed with the brunch crowd that came in, and the food took a long time to come out. Delicious, yes and the dishes around us all looked equally spectacular, but the wait and lack of seating could be improved. Try to avoid getting the center table, which is a low coffee table and lower than your knees, it makes for uncomfortable dining. We ended up putting the dishes on our knees and turning to the side to be closer to the table. Talking sideways to the other guests and eating from your lap detracted from the good food, it would be fine if just grabbing coffee or hanging out, but not for a nice brunch.
Glad the delicious vegan brunch is available now but for the amount paid, I would prefer a smoother experience.

Updated from previous review on 2017-03-27

Pros: excellent, beautiful, ample dishes, many options

Cons: slow, no parking, potentially uncomfortable seating

Good Coffee, Vegan Treats - Edit

Of Portfolio's more substantial food options, I have only ever had a salad, which was perfectly fine, but I'm inspired to write a review because for the last 6 months or more, they have been offering vegan baked goods, which isn't super common. I was in today and they had vegan chai-vanilla cupcakes and a vegan apple tart with almond butter. Other times they have vegan banana bread, cranberry muffins, and so on. Everything I've tried has been awesome. I believe they are baked by a Portfolio employee who is doing vegan baked goods as a little side business of her own. I think it's cool that she is being the change she wants to see in the world, and that the Portfolio owners are willing to stock her stuff, so I try to buy something whenever I'm there to support the cause and keep the vegan baked goods flowing. Portfolio's sister coffee shop, Berlin (also on 4th, closer to downtown) sometimes has a few vegan items as well.

Pros: vegan baked goods, excellent coffee, soy milk

Return to Long Beach Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Portfolio Coffeehouse closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.