CLOSED: Porter Cellar Bar

Contact 01225-424104

14 George Street, Bath, England, BA1 2EN

Serves meat, vegan options available. Nov 2012 reported to include meat on the menu and no longer pure veg. A laid-back pub that also serves food and features comedy some nights. Vegetarian alcoholic drinks marked on menu. Moles Club, which is part of the same building, hosts live music. AUG 2013 REPORTED SHUT DOWN/CLOSED.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by Smiler13

Reasonable food, poor atmosphere - Edit

By in large it was a rather quiet night in bath when we went, party of 3, food was good not great, could have been slightly more generous and warm. Music stopped another patron had to politely remind staff to turn the atmosphere back on.

Pros: Mostly good food, Friendly staff, Good veg menu

Cons: Atmosphere , Atmospheric light to dark, more lamps?, Meal size

Now serves meat - Edit

Visited today for lunch and reading through menu was horrified to find out they were serving beef burgers! I was told there was only one meat dish on the menu but I will only eat in veggie places. Shame this place has gone down this route.

Contributions +33

Tasty good food - Edit

My husband and I went for lunch here on the 12th May 2012.

We both had the veggie burger (vegan), which was very tasty.

We found the atmosphere in the pub a little lacklustre and grimy, but this is still a great place to get a vegan burger, right in the centre of town.

Pros: Vegan food on the menu, Good value

Cons: Pub feels a bit run down

Nice place for a drink or a meal - Edit

During our week long visit to Bath, I ended up visiting the Porter Cellar Bar three times. The food was fresh, seasonal and delicious. I was pleased to have a good selection of vegan options to choose from. The variety of beers was great, and the atmosphere was cozy and inviting. The staff was friendly and patient with my questions. I really like the eclectic selection of music that played during my visits too.

Pros: great food, nice outdoor space

Bad now =[ - Edit

The Porter was taken over a few months ago by a new manager who had not managed a pub or gastro pub before. The manager made a decision to make the pub entirely vegan, and a lot of excited press releases came out about this.
The manager then changed his mind. The food available to vegans is now things like a simple falafel dish, some hummus and olives. I ordered the chips as a bar snack (listed to come with 'sea salt and cracked black pepper). They came ice cold and coated in a fine black pepper powder which was definitely not 'cracked', and table salt. I asked for some ketchup from the server, who I never saw again.
The staff do not know what beers are veggie/vegan, or anything about the wines. The pub is losing its veggie focus, which is a real shame considering all its years as a great veggie hangout.

Disappointing for vegans - Edit

The pub is nice and the staff is very friendly, but the choice for vegan dishes is very limited and many dishes were not avalaible the day we visited. I had a salad and fries with hummus.

Pros: nice pub, friendly

Cons: not enough vegan choice

The Porter - Edit

Very disappointing experience. Staff did not know which meals were suitable for vegans and so had to order from limited items identified as vegan on the menu. Clearly the menu was not marked up thoroughly as a green salad was not vegan?? Had mushroom pie and mash and onion gravy. What actually arrived was a mash pie with a couple of mushroom pieces mixed in it on top of a bed of mash surrounded by onion gravy. No sign of any veg. Needed a big scoop of peas at the very least! And a pie with mushrooms in it and not mash. Mash pie and mash is a bit bland. And for £6+ not exactly good value. NO vegan dessert options. Overall very diappointing.

Pros: none

Cons: poor quality food, unknowledgeable staff, poor value

Porter-Bella - Edit

Tres bien, very good, bardzo dobre, sehr gut etc etc. I love this pub. It's grubby, smelly at times and well used. It's British and serves ale but above all it serves fabulous pub grub in the veggie way. This is traditional UK pub grub such as toasties, baked potatoes, lasagne and sandwiches but with a lot more imagination than non veggie pubs who try and cater for veggies. A great place to relax, get drunk, eat veggie food and have a conversation with the many different type of people who come here. One day I'd love to go to the Sunday night comedy club.

Pros: pub grub, beer, atmosphere

A great place for a quick, cheap bite - Edit

I've been here 4 times now this year, when visiting Bath. Every time I've been has been for a quick lunch, and I have taken my three children in too. Quick, polite service, were happy to make smaller portions for my children, the food was very good, and a great menu choice that caters for all (Including fussy children!). Will be back again soon!

Pros: Great Value, Large portions, Quick service

Cons: Place needs abit of an update

It's OK but nothing great - Edit

The selection of vegan items is good and it is good value but the place could do with a good clean and the fact that the seating area was not clean (mugs and glasses left on the tables - even though it was not busy and there was 3 members of staff on duty).

Pros: good value, great vegan selection

Absolutely fantastic place - Edit

We were initially skeptical about pub grub, but the bartender was extremely nice and altered the Jacket to make it a vegan baked beans on a potato and then did the chili oil free!!! We couldn't believe when the nice chef brought it out it was perfect!!! We had stopped by the night before and they stop serving after 9pm so be aware of that! Pizzas are only after 5pm, too. We were very impressed with our food, the fun of being in a great pub, cool selection of beers/wines all marked if they are vegan! Outdoor seating in a very fun area where you're above street level. HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend! Don't miss this fun, tasty and healthy experience!

Pros: healthy vegan food, super friendly and helpful, great pub experience!

Best vegetarian food I've ever had - Edit

I've traveled extensively and must say this is the best vegetarian food I've ever had. The falafel were absolutely fantastic! Everything was delish and we were so pleased that I would travel to Bath again just to eat here.

Pros: Friendly staff, Fantastic food, Lots of options and specials

Cheap, Bland, but Fun - Edit

Wow a veggie pub. In Bath. The staff here were very fun and friendly, I got the vibe that it is sort of a punkrock type pub. The menu was small but looked good, especially with the fabulous five-pound special that included a drink.

Unfortunately, all of the things I wanted that were vegan were unavailable (they said the cook was in the process of changing the menu). They also didn't have much for me to drink (I don't drink alcohol), in fact, I ended with nothing.

My friend got the chili platter which was good for five pounds including a drink, with a few tortilla chips on the side. It was very bland and it was the least chili-like chili we had ever seen. Read: tomato sauce for spaghetti with a can of kidney beans added to the pot.

Overall, fun, cheap, and friendly. Don't come here expecting a huge delicious meal if you are vegan though.

Pros: cheap, friendly staff

Cons: bland, menu items unavailable, so-so food

vegetarian pubs exist? - Edit

a vegetarian pub! finally i've found one. brilliant food. great drinks. live music, sports on the screen. it's a pub but finally i can look at the menu and choose from the entire thing!!! bath is brilliant for veggies! take a lunch here and then dinner at demuths!

Pros: food, atmosphere, value

Cons: bit far from the edge of town

Get a chef ! - Edit

After reading pretty good reports, my husband and I ate here last Friday. Well,I am afraid the people who had previously sent in favourable reports must have a very low expectation of their food. My husband's vegetables were extremely over-cooked and smelt stale and his lasagne tasted as if it had been in and out of the microwave all day.
My crepes tasted as if they had been cooked in ancient grease!
Pile it high sell it cheap!
If they charged a bit more for the food they could then employ a decent chef.
We noticed most people were only drinking - I wonder why?
It was very busy and noisy, but then it was Friday evening.

nice veggie pub - Edit

We went to porters on saturday lunch time whilst visiting bath. I heard someone say they have recently changed the menu. There is alot more on the menu in there then there was on the website & theres a special board. We had the falafel & salad & the mushroom & spinach pasta. It was very tasty & fresh. Ive never been in a veggie pub before its a nice idea. The prices are reasonable.

Pros: good food, nice ales

Cons: kids allowed

Not a lot vegan - Edit

Very basic pub grub with very limited range of main courses for vegans (chilli, pasta). Tasty enough but not mind blowing. No vegan desserts. Really only ok for lacto/ovo vegetarians or vegans who are desperate.

Pros: Cheap, Good size portions

Cons: Very limited vegan choice, A little grubby

Welcoming pub - Edit

Very pleasant to find a pub with multiple vegan choices on the menu. The pie I had seemed as if it might have been a Clive's pie rather than one made on the premises (I didn't ask though) but anyway it was none the worse for that. Other half had shepherd's pie that seemed homemade. We went slightly after the lunchtime peak and there was plenty of room and we were able to relax and read the papers.

Pros: Trad pub with veg*n grub, Great location

Cons: Food fairly basic but who cares?

OK for pub food - Edit

I wandered into Porter's one day and thay gave me a menu. I asked "what's vegan?" and they proceeded to explain to me what a vegan was...slight misunderstanding there :) I ordered a pint of cider and the food came out relatively soon. I asked for the Shepherds pie. Was ok, lentil based filling with a potato crust on top in a ceramic dish, some chips and a side salad. Was ok, a little dry, side salad was pretty innocuos.

So wasn't mindblowing, not somewhere to go for a culinary experience. If you are looking for something filling, and a pint of beer on the side, then you should be ok.

Pros: Range of drinks, Informal

Cons: Utilitarian food, Not overly comfy

Great Pub! - Edit

Expect a pub, and add great veggie food. Simple.

The food comes in large, yummy portions - it's not fancy, but tastes great. The goat's cheese tart is highly recommended - it comes overflowing with toppings, with couscous and side salad.

It's so nice to relax in a pub and have an entire vegetarian menu. There should be more like it.

We visited late on a midweek afternoon, and it was not overly busy.

Pros: Large Portions, Great Value

Cons: Smoking

Good value gorgeous grub - Edit

I happened upon this place as I was wandering Bath at the weekend, a visitor to the city. It was Sunday lunchtime and I was hungry so I went in for a cider and sat by the window, browsing the menu. Wow. Loads of delicious-sounding vegetarian dishes - I didn't know what to pick! If only there was one of these restaurants in my town...

Anyway, I eventually chose falafel and the barman told me I'd made a good choice. Yep, he wasn't wrong. When it arrived, the two women sitting near me eyed my plate with envy, asking what I'd ordered. They admitted they wouldn't be able to manage it all by themselves though; they'd have to share. No such problem for me though - I happily devoured the lot!

The plate consisted of: falafel in warm pitta bread with salad, hummus, tzatki and couscous. Delicious and very filling! Excellent value for money - a great-sized portion.

The atmosphere was laidback, the barmen were friendly and the place seemed to fill up fast. I guess my only complaint was the smoking but, hey, you can't have it all.

Pros: Good value grub, Delicious tastin veg food, Relaxed friendly vibe

Cons: Smoking, Could prob. fill up fast, Not one near me!

Return to Bath Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Porter Cellar Bar closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 668 times since Aug 2007.