Port Perry Thai

Contact 905-982-0101

14500 Simcoe St Unit 8, Port Perry, Ontario, Canada, L9L 1V4

Serves meat, vegan options available. Thai food, has a vegetarian section on the menu and several other dishes are available in veggie versions. Fast service. Accommodating of food allergies. Vegetable and tofu curry, vegetarian delight, eggplant Thai style, ginger tofu. Inexpensive lunch combos.

Category: Ovo, Thai, Beer/Wine, Delivery, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by thekalekitten

Good Selection for Vegans and Customizable - Edit

I live in Port Perry, and nearly seven months after going vegan, I decided to give Port Perry Thai a try! I absolutely love Thai food, but I never went to the restaurant with my parents (they eat meat, and the sight of it is quite off-putting for me), so I decided to order takeout the last time they went. The staff are very friendly from my experience, and they were very willing to customize an order to suite a vegan diet. They have a vegetarian section on their menu, but I find it's always best to ask to make sure of which items are vegan and which are not. Also, some non-vegetarian options can be made vegan, and some of the vegetarian options (ex. vegetable pad Thai) that are traditionally made with fish sauce and/or eggs can be made without them, as long as you specify. I ordered a vegetable pad Thai, green curry, and eggplant delight, and all the dishes were fabulous! Full of flavour, filling, but they seemed quite light (not sitting heavy in the stomach), which I love! I'm assuming they don't use too much oil, which is great. I'll definitely be back more times to try new things and I'll update my review the next time I go :)
Updated from previous review on Saturday November 29, 2014

UPDATE: I went back again with my Mom two days ago, after being worried that I might have consumed fish sauce in all the vegetable dishes I had ordered (from another review). To confirm, again, there is NO fish sauce in most of the vegetable entrees, except for the cashew nut tofu on the vegetarian menu. There is no egg either. I confirmed both extensively with the owner, and he was very kind to explain everything to me. There are quite a few appetizers you can order vegan (including spring rolls and sticky rice with peanut sauce -- I definitely recommend the latter; it is AMAZING), you can "veganize" the vegetable pad Thai (ask for no fish sauce or egg), and most of the vegetarian menu dishes really do not have animal products in them! Even for dessert, you can order the sticky rice with mango and the banana fritter with jack fruit -- just confirm that there is no dairy in either, to be sure (I was told they pour coconut milk over them).

Pros: Friendly Staff, Excellent Food, Vegetarian Menu Section

Cons: Lots of Meat on the Menu, Some Options can't be Veganized

Not even vegetarian friendly - Edit

After seeing a positive review for vegan food at this restaurant on happy cow I decided to stop in with family for lunch. I explained to my server I was vegan and asked which dishes could be made excluding dairy, egg and any kind of fish or oyster sauce. She proceeded to tell me that almost every dish on their menu contained fish sauce except the curry and the sauces were pre-made. I explained I was unable to have spicy food because of digestive issues and she shrugged and walked away without a response. On my way out the door I happened to grab their take-out menu which includes their "vegetarian" dishes listed, yet they all contain fish sauce so are clearly not vegetarian at all. I don't know if I showed up on a bad day or if she was a new server but the restaurant was completely empty of any other employees or customers. Thumbs down experience. I'm adding a picture of the menu for reference.

JazzyCow 05 Mar 2015 - I'm sorry to hear that (I'm assuming it was my review you were basing your trip off of)! My parents go there a lot, but they aren't vegetarian or vegan. They asked me to come along once to order takeout just to see if there were vegan-friendly items. Maybe I did just come on a good day, because the chef was there, and he was very friendly and accommodating. He said he could make the green curry and vegetable pad Thai without eggs or fish sauce, so I'm surprised they said the sauces were pre-made. I'm sorry you had a bad experience based off my review :( Port Perry is quite limited for vegan options, so I thought it would be nice to give a review of a place I thought was quite vegan-friendly (based off my experience)...

Return to Port Perry Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Port Perry Thai closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.