Poor Richard's

• Veg-friendly
Contact 719-632-7721

324 1/2 N Tejon St, Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA, 80903

Serves meat, vegan options available. A blend of student coffee shop and hip deli, the menu features some vegan options. Vegan cheese is available for pizza. Entrees priced between $5-15, large portions. Vegans should ask about ingredients.

Category: Lacto, Ovo, Fast food, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by tempest

Best vegan pizza in town, kid friendly in the back - Edit

They have a wonderful whole wheat crust pizza that you can get with Dyia Cheese... very yummy. Newly added to the menu is a selection of soups and they always have one vegan option. Only one of the salads is vegan and it's not organic (bummer) but we love this place for an easy casual dinner to take our kids out for pizza and have ourselves a beer while they play in the kid-friendly area in the back of the restaurant.

Pros: Great pizza!, Kid friendly, casual

Cons: Not organic

Underrated here! - Edit

Sure, Poor Richards has some flaws as others have pointed out. But this is still one of my favorite places in town. The vegan pizza gets expensive if you want toppings, which is my main issue with them. But the pizza is delicious, and they have several other vegan options with more than fair prices. Additionally, their coffee and bar selection and prices are both good. I really also just love the atmosphere, and even though it gets a little crowded when it's busy, it's got a really cozy vibe.

Pros: Tasty vegan pizza and other vegan option, Great atmosphere, Good drink variety

Cons: Expensive pizza, A little cramped when it's busy

Pricey but yummy - Edit

I love pizza with a serious passion and finding this place with vegan pizza was awesome. They also have gluten free options for their pizza. It costs to add Daiya cheese as well as to have gluten free crust. It also costs to add topping more then the typical sauce and cheese. The fancy toppings are the same price as the typical pizza toppings, which is good. Overall, the pizza was delicious and the service was good. They also have a nice beer and wine menu.

Pros: Delish food, Open late

Cons: Pricey

Great Vegan Pizza - Edit

My husband and I ate at Poor Richard's twice while visiting Colorado Springs and were not disappointed. Both time we got pizza by the slice with Daiya cheese and wheat crust. The topping selection is good (no extra charge for fancy toppings such as kalamata olives, roasted garlic, portabellos, etc) and the crust is tasty. It's not cheap, but not crazy expensive. There is an up charge for vegan cheese. There are also non-pizza vegan offerings that look good, including vegan nachos, tofu/brown rice bowls, soups, and salads; but we didn't try except for a hummus plate (which was only so-so).
Nice backyard patio seating. Beer is also sold.

Pros: Vegan pizza by the slice, Separate vegan menu, Outdoor seating

Cons: Bit pricey for pizza

Best Local Pizza - Edit

Poor Richard's is a very vegetarian-friendly restaurant and is continuing to improve its options for vegans. Yummy meals include the house-made veggie burger, an original veggie ruben, amazing salads, and great whole wheat pizzas with many topping options. For locals, it is also a great option to order a whole pizza to go (though you have to pick it up). Atmosphere is funky and relaxed, but sometimes noisy or with limited seating.

Overall, a great pizza place!

Pros: Good food, Casual atmosphere, New vegan/gluten-free menu

Cons: Sometimes crowded/noisy, Occasionally slow

Nice Surprise - Edit

I went to Poor Richard's with some vegan friends who like it, though I was hesitant after reading some of the reviews on here. Turns out that they've switched to Daiya brand vegan cheese, and replaced the honey in their crust with brown sugar! (though the gluten free crusts do contain egg)

It appears that they've attempted to combat the "deer in the headlight" response by printing off a list of their vegan and gluten-free options, though it was buried in the menu holder on their counter.

The pizza was great! We ordered it on their whole wheat crust, with zucchini, broccoli, sun-dried tomatoes, kalamata olives,and vegan cheese. It was a little pricey, but well worth it--it was enormous and delicious. I'll definitely go back.

Pros: Great food, Vegan options, Large portions

Cons: Not an everyday price

They finally listened! - Edit

I recently went to poor richard's with some friends thinking that I would just get a salad or something to snack on while they all ate (I am vegan and they are vegetarian). When we got there another one of my friends was working the register who is also a vegan. She told me that they had just gotten new cheese for the pizza that is VEGAN!!! so I got a slice, and it was pretty good. The only thing I do not like about this place is the prices. It is very expensive for being what it is...pizza!

Pros: new vegan options, fun

Cons: too pricey, could use more vegan options

The best vegetarian ruben sandwich I have ever had - Edit

I asked for it with soy cheese instead of swiss cheese - it was awesome!! The service isn`t the friendliest but there are both vegan and gluten-free or wheat-free options on the menu. the portions are large but you can order a half sandwich if you like.

Huge pizza, commensurate price - Edit

I also discovered after the fact that the soy cheese pizza is not vegan. Bummer! The pizza was probably 24 inches in diameter and enough for two meals- luckily there were take-out boxes. The toppings are pricey- under $2 each and by the charge it looks like soy cheese counts as one! The crust is thin and crunchy and very good. The atmosphere is casual.

Pros: Large portion, Soy cheese, Yummy crust

Cons: Price, Not vegan

Not so Vegan Cheese - Edit

This is a really cool place. There is a book store, a coffee shop (with live music), and a restaurant. They even have a little kids shop with kids toys/books. They have a wonderful selection of teas. The staff were friendly and helpful. I asked about Vegan options and they lit up and said, "Oh, we can make anything Vegan by substituting Vegan Cheese!"... I was so excited! YEAH! This opens up so many possibilities for me! I chose to get two slices of pizza (they had a nice selection of toppings, broccoli, mushrooms, tomato...) - I took a few bites and thought to myself... "Oh, no! They forgot and used COW cheese instead of soy..." - I had my NON VEGAN friend taste it to tell me if it tasted like regular cheese to her... she said she could tell the difference, so I felt better and kept eating... thinking that they must have a really good cheese substitute. But after a while, I began to wonder if there might be casein in this cheese I was eating. It was "acting" too much like real cheese. By this point, it was too late, I had eaten nearly all of my pizza. But just so that I could report back here with correct information, I went up to the counter and asked what kind of cheese was used on the pizza. They went to the kitchen and came back saying "Soya Kaas". I vaguely remembered that Soya Kaas does in fact contain casein. I went online later and confirmed that to be the case. What a bummer! I'm going to have to write them and ask that they switch their soy cheese to a better alternative w/o casein! What's the point of having a cheese alternative if us Vegans can't eat it! That being said... I think if they could get casein free cheese on the menu, this would be a great place for meat eaters, vegetarians, and vegans alike. Until then, in the words of the previous poster "Vegans Beware!" : O)

Pros: Tea Selection, Atmosphere

Cons: Casein in the soy cheese

Great! - Edit

I love poor richards and have had almost everything vegetarian on the menu. Fresh pizza is excellent and very generously sized slices. salads are loaded w/ veggies, homeade balsamic vinagarette. Hummus is excelent, veggies are fresh. Bread is always fresh, several kinds to choose from. Sandwitches and burgers have all impressed me , love the homemade veggie burgers. You can create your own salad, sandwitch/burger or pizza. The atmosphere is wonderful... kids play & book room, cafe/bookstore, awesome toy store all attached, also a back patio.

Pros: homeade veggie burger, back patio, atmosphere

What's a vegan? - Edit

Instead of helping me come up with something I could eat, they just named off all the stuff I couldn't. When we finally settled on a veggie burger patty, the patty had rice in it that was undercooked, and the wrap they put it in was dry and cracked.

Pros: coffee

Cons: limited menu, bad service

Vegans beware - Edit

When I told the cashier that my wife and I was vegan, she looked at us as a cow looks at an oncoming train. She was unable to identify vegan options on the menu and was reluctant to provide satisfactory ingredient lists for their menu items. After ten minutes of fruitless discussion, they called over a vegan employee who was able to set us straight. That being said, the veggie burger was excellent, and the hummus was above average. When eating here, bear in mind that all pizza crusts contain honey and the pita bread contains casein.

Pros: Location, Atmosphere

Cons: Staff

Return to Colorado Springs Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Poor Richard's closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2447 times since Aug 2007.