Pomegranate Cafe

480-706-7472

4025 E Chandler Blvd Ste 28, Phoenix, Arizona, USA, 85048

Serves vegetarian, vegan, and raw food since 2010. Has fresh juices, smoothies, fair trade coffee, and pastries made in-house. Happy hour Tue-Sat 3-6pm. Open Tue-Thu 8:00am-8:00pm, Fri-Sat 8:00am-9:00pm, Sun 8:00am-4:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Organic, Juice bar, Take-out, Bakery, Fusion

First Review by KHARAMA8

amazing vegan spot! - Edit

Couldn't believe the cheese on the mushroom slider was not real cheese. Seriously had to ask 3 times to make sure!

Found on Happy Cow - Edit

I was visiting Phoenix and searched happy Cow for a new place to eat
Found Pomegranate Cafe on Happy Cow, and tried it out
It was GREAT !!
I asked what was good, they recommended the Monte Cristo.. WOW
One of the best sandwiches I've ever had
I cant wait to return to try out their deserts and more of their menu

Pros: Good food, friendly staff, good selection & a shop with many items for sale

Great service, great area, even better food. - Edit

Updated Nov 2016: While we still love the Pomegranate Cafe, great desserts, great atmosphere and staff, and my partner still loves the wraps she gets, and could eat here multiple times per week, the use of eggs and cheese on the brunch menus almost made us hurl. While we understand being diverse enough to be profitable is a real challenge, the odors created by cooking such items was extremely off-putting.
We'll still go back, but it won't be during those brunch offerings.
Wonderful staff, pleasant location, fantastic food all three times we have visited so far, and great and creative desserts. While their smoothies aren't the greatest vegan smoothies I have ever had, that's a small gripe.
We have tried a few different dishes, from the various o burgers and wraps, and all of those were really good. Great sauces and sides, although the sides perhaps are not always roasted properly (root vegetables), they were still good.

Pros: Great food, Great atmosphere, Great staff

Cons: Not in downtown Phoenix, Smoothies not the greatest, Serves eggs and cheese

so nice, ate there twice. - Edit

We went for breakfast, even my omni husband liked it. It's a perfect place for those folks in transition to vegan or vegetarian. We returned later in the same day for dinner as were we still near by. It certainly is a favorite!!!

Exciting Menu - Far Away - Edit

Written on the menu in all caps "EVERYTHING ON THE MENU IN VEGAN", then directly under it: "we offer farm fresh eggs and organic cheese on some items". Underneath those excerpts you will find "WE CARE ABOUT THE EARTH" written at the bottom...
What is the point there? Please make the leap and go full vegan if you are even going to write that on your menu. Very put off by that being stated in the same sentence. I would be more willing to make the long trek to south valley if they would at least lower the prices.

Pros: Huge menu, Very flavorful

Cons: Very Pricey, Not fully vegan, Location

The Gila Monster! - Edit

UPDATE: It had been a couple of years, but I finally returned after being enticed by their summer 2016 menu, which includes hush puppies. Jamaican Curry Wedges, a TuNut Sandwich, and the POM Banana Split, amongst much more. The Tu-Nut Sandwich is a deliciously healthy option. It comes with potato salad, which is their seasonal side for the summer. The banana split was pretty yummy, but the ice cream seemed frost bitten and the brownie had nuts. Luckily, I'm not allergic, but it needs to be mentioned/noted on the menu. The Gila Monster Nachos were the winner. A HUGE portion and it was very flavorful. Excellent dish. I suggest going during happy hour to get it for $8 instead of the normal $12 price tag. They are even pricier nowadays, with entrees ranging from $12-$15! It's a bit ridiculous, but the food is fresh, mostly organic, and of high quality. We also had great service experience this time, so it appears that customer complaints are being heard.
-------

1st visit: ordered the French Toast w/ a side of tempeh bacon. (Very tasty; very good) Also got the BLT (no T for me) w/ extra aioli sauce (b/c when you find vegan aioli you need/want more) for later. This was so flavorful, fresh, and delicious. It's cut in half, and it is enough to either share or save the 2nd 1/2 for later (or not). Definitely something I'd recommend. Also got a piece of split strawberry cake. Very good! The lady who helped me was so nice and friendly. I left with a smile on my face.

2nd visit didn't go as great and I thought I'd never go back... However, Cassie rectified the situation and all is well. Got the California Love wrap and it was very good. Again, huge wrap, so I had enough for lunch the next day. Had a cupcake. It was ok. I personally like my cupcakes much more moist, but the icing was delish. You're looking at an average of about $10 per dish. Not cheap, but not the most expensive I've seen either. There are seats inside and outside as well. Free wifi. Plenty of parking. Check the hours before heading out b/c they are not open late. If you're traveling here for the first time and you come from I-10, once you're on Chandler and you pass 44th St, start looking to your left for an Arby's and McDonald's; you'll want to turn left into the strip mall entry by McDonalds. Go straight, pass the Trader Joe's, and Pomegranate is a couple doors down on the left.

Pros: Mostly vegan and organic, Large portions!, Free wifi

Cons: Price

Healthy and Tasty - Edit

This is probably my favorite place to eat in the valley because they offer food that's a perfect blend of tasty and healthy. And the menus are really creative and varied.
I think the following help set the restaurant apart:
• baked goods/dessert
• fresh juices
• raw/vegan/organic/local/gluten-free/non-GMO/vegetarian offerings
• catering
• lots of specials/seasonal
Other restaurants may look the same on paper, but Pomegranate Cafe really does all of these things well.
They've expanded in their Chandler location a couple of times, but I hope they open a northern location next!

Pros: Tasty and healthy, Prepared with care, Laidback atmosphere

Cons: Sometimes you have to wait

best Plant Based meal is a long time - Edit

Great food, service and selection....expand to Downtown Gilbert:)

Is Anybody PC Anymore? - Edit

A word to the wise, enjoy a meal at Pomegranate Cafe off the happy hour menu. Otherwise, be prepared to shell out about $12 per plate; a fresh juice alone cost me $9. I walked in and asked for juice right away, and then took a seat to peruse the menu. Despite the slow service, I wasn't too bothered. My juice eventually found its way to the table. I pushed aside water and guzzled that sucker down. Aahhh. I could feel, see, hear, smell, sense, taste, perceive the essence of life coursing through my veins. That must be the feeling Popeye gets after eating spinach (mmmm, love those greens). That was the best part of my afternoon. I wasn't too impressed with the food, but the owner contacted me later and offered a comp and apology that the item I ordered was over-ripe. Despite my mis-order, overall PC's dishes are very colourful and look beautiful. I would like to return and try a wrap and/or salad next time.

Pros: Raw options, Menu variety

Cons: Far

To Live For - Edit

The food and beverages are fantastic with a great combination of flavors and textures. The staff are extremely polite, knowledgeable, attentive, and transparent about the food. The atmosphere was relaxed and the decor was comfortable and welcoming. Some of the prices are a bit high, but I guarantee you will not walk out disappointed.

Pros: Informed Staff, Outdoor Seating

must experience - Edit

this place is amazing, great customer service, super friendly and patient with my picky-ness. beautiful vibes in this place and their food! I drive 30 mins to come here and is totally worth it. their raw menu selection is delicious with lovely presentation. home made vegan cheeses, awesome smoothies and impressive desserts! all time favorite

My favorite! - Edit

My omni Husband absolutely loved it here! He had nachos which were made with walnuts and the taste was incredible. I had the Santa Fe tacos with the Watermelon Jalapeño Lemonade (crazy combo but had to try it). The atmosphere is cute and there are misters that cool the outdoor dining area. If you can only make it to one vegan place in AZ, this is it!

Pros: Delicious, Super friendly staff, Creative pairings

soooooo gooood! - Edit

Came here for breakfast, staff was so friendly! Got the gluten free pumpkin French toast and avocado sandi (sand which) everything so far is delicious! Can't beat fast and friendly service :)

delicious, cute & very fresh and healthy - Edit

The salads are very tasty (try with tempeh on side!) and hugh! And my cereals with fresh fruits were delicious. The soup was good, but unfortunately not hot.. Very healthy food :)
I think the prices are a bit too high (when I compare it wirh other good vegetarian restaurants, I mean a smoothie for $8 - $10!).

Pros: nice staff, very fresh & healthy, delicious

Cons: prices

Love this place! - Edit

I've been here twice, 1X for each trip to Arizona. I loved the food both times. The salads are excellent as well as the smoothies. I look for the healthy vegan restaurants and this one is it. I went there after running a race so it was a great place to re-fuel. They also have many tasty desserts!

Pros: delicious, healthy

Good Food, Cute Location - Edit

Pomegranate Cafe can be a little tricky to spot if you haven't been there before, because it's a fairly small place just behind Trader Joes. The dishes are tasty, and the deserts are especially amazing!

They're on the pricier end, although in my experience the daily special has been pretty reasonable. Their customer service is great: my friends and I went one time over an hour after the daily special price was supposed to end, but they still let my friend get it for that price.

Another nice thing about Pomegranate is that even though they are only a vegetarian place, most dishes are vegan, and everything defaults to vegan in the instances where there is the option to be vegan or vegetarian.

They also support the community in that they will let activists come and give presentations at the cafe.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday November 12, 2013

Pros: Taste

Cons: Pricey

Delicious!! - Edit

I love this place...I have been twice. The first visit I had a butternut squash soup...very good. Yesterday I tried the Green Bandito Burrito with tempeh instead of tofu. I will have a hard time trying something else on the menu after devouring that. The prices are reasonable...I'd probably stop by 3-4 times a week if it were closer to home. The staff is has been friendly and helpful. You will not be disappointed.

Pros: Have serve tempeh, Good portions, Reasonable Price

Cons: Far from my home

Great lunch! - Edit

I really liked the food here. My friend and I shared two of the "bowl" meals (The Bountiful Bowl and the Green Garden Protein Bowl). They were so good... I wish I could eat food this good every day, but I live about 20 miles away! I thought the bowl meals were the best value on the menu... the other items were priced a little high for me. When you enter, just take a menu and sit down to decide, then walk over to the counter to order & they will bring the food to you. Lots of parking available as it's in a shopping center.

Pros: Flavor!

Return to Phoenix Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Pomegranate Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.