Pomegranate Cafe

• Friend
Contact 480-706-7472

4025 E Chandler Blvd Ste 28, Phoenix, Arizona, USA, 85048

Serves vibrant food and drinks made from scratch with vegan, vegetarian, and raw sourcing local and organic produce. Features fresh juice, smoothie, fair trade coffee bar, and makes healthy pastries in-house. Happy hour Tue-Sat 3-6pm. Est. 2010. Open Tue-Thu 8:00am-8:00pm, Fri-Sat 8:00am-9:00pm, Sun 8:00am-4:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, American, Organic, Juice bar, Take-out, Bakery, Fusion

First Review by KHARAMA8

so nice, ate there twice. - Edit

We went for breakfast, even my omni husband liked it. It's a perfect place for those folks in transition to vegan or vegetarian. We returned later in the same day for dinner as were we still near by. It certainly is a favorite!!!

Exciting Menu - Far Away - Edit

Written on the menu in all caps "EVERYTHING ON THE MENU IN VEGAN", then directly under it: "we offer farm fresh eggs and organic cheese on some items". Underneath those excerpts you will find "WE CARE ABOUT THE EARTH" written at the bottom...

What is the point there? Please make the leap and go full vegan if you are even going to write that on your menu. Very put off by that being stated in the same sentence. I would be more willing to make the long trek to south valley if they would at least lower the prices.

Updated from previous review on 2016-08-18

Pros: Huge menu, Very flavorful

Cons: Very Pricey, Not fully vegan, Location

The Gila Monster! - Edit

It had been a couple of years, but I finally returned after being enticed by their summer 2016 menu, which includes hush puppies. Jamaican Curry Wedges, a TuNut Sandwich, and the POM Banana Split, amongst much more.

The Tu-Nut Sandwich is a deliciously healthy option. It comes with potato salad, which is their seasonal side for the summer.

The banana split was pretty yummy, but the ice cream seemed frost bitten and the brownie had nuts. Luckily, I'm not allergic, but it needs to be mentioned/noted on the menu.

The Gila Monster Nachos were the winner. A HUGE portion and it was very flavorful. Excellent dish. I suggest going during happy hour to get it for $8 instead of the normal $12 price tag.

They are even pricier nowadays, with entrees ranging from $12-$15! It's a bit ridiculous, but the food is fresh, mostly organic, and of high quality.

We also had great service experience this time, so it appears that customer complaints are being heard.

1st visit: ordered the French Toast w/ a side of tempeh bacon. (Very tasty; very good) Also got the BLT (no T for me) w/ extra aioli sauce (b/c when you find vegan aioli you need/want more) for later. This was so flavorful, fresh, and delicious. It's cut in half, and it is enough to either share or save the 2nd 1/2 for later (or not). Definitely something I'd recommend.
Also got a piece of split strawberry cake. Very good!
The lady who helped me was so nice and friendly. I left with a smile on my face.

2nd visit didn't go as great and I thought I'd never go back... However, Cassie rectified the situation and all is well. Got the California Love wrap and it was very good. Again, huge wrap, so I had enough for lunch the next day. Had a cupcake. It was ok. I personally like my cupcakes much more moist, but the icing was delish.

You're looking at an average of about $10 per dish. Not cheap, but not the most expensive I've seen either.

There are seats inside and outside as well. Free wifi. Plenty of parking. Check the hours before heading out b/c they are not open late.

If you're traveling here for the first time and you come from I-10, once you're on Chandler and you pass 44th St, start looking to your left for an Arby's and McDonald's; you'll want to turn left into the strip mall entry by McDonalds. Go straight, pass the Trader Joe's, and Pomegranate is a couple doors down on the left.

Updated from previous review on 2013-04-03

Pros: Mostly vegan and organic, Large portions!, Free wifi

Cons: Pricey

Healthy and Tasty - Edit

This is probably my favorite place to eat in the valley because they offer food that's a perfect blend of tasty and healthy. And the menus are really creative and varied.

I think the following help set the restaurant apart:
• baked goods/dessert
• fresh juices
• raw/vegan/organic/local/gluten-free/non-GMO/vegetarian offerings
• catering
• lots of specials/seasonal
Other restaurants may look the same on paper, but Pomegranate Cafe really does all of these things well.

They've expanded in their Chandler location a couple of times, but I hope they open a northern location next!

Pros: Tasty and healthy, Prepared with care, Laidback atmosphere

Cons: Sometimes you have to wait

Is Anybody PC Anymore? - Edit

A word to the wise, enjoy a meal at Pomegranate Cafe off the happy hour menu. Otherwise, be prepared to shell out about $12 per plate; a fresh juice alone cost me $9.

I walked in and asked for juice right away, and then took a seat to peruse the menu. Despite the slow service, I wasn't too bothered. My juice eventually found its way to the table. I pushed aside water and guzzled that sucker down. Aahhh. I could feel, see, hear, smell, sense, taste, perceive the essence of life coursing through my veins. That must be the feeling Popeye gets after eating spinach (mmmm, love those greens).

That was the best part of my afternoon. I wasn't too impressed with the food, but the owner contacted me later and offered a comp and apology that the item I ordered was over-ripe.

Despite my mis-order, overall PC's dishes are very colourful and look beautiful. I would like to return and try a wrap and/or salad next time.

Pros: Raw options, Menu variety

Cons: Far

To Live For - Edit

The food and beverages are fantastic with a great combination of flavors and textures. The staff are extremely polite, knowledgeable, attentive, and transparent about the food. The atmosphere was relaxed and the decor was comfortable and welcoming. Some of the prices are a bit high, but I guarantee you will not walk out disappointed.

Pros: Informed Staff, Outdoor Seating

Great service, great area, even better food. - Edit

Wonderful staff, pleasant location, fantastic food all three times we have visited so far, and great and creative desserts. While their smoothies aren't the greatest vegan smoothies I have ever had, that's a small gripe.

We have tried a few different dishes, from the various o burgers and wraps, and all of those were really good. Great sauces and sides, although the sides perhaps are not always roasted properly (root vegetables), they were still good.

Pros: Great food, Great atmosphere, Great staff

Cons: Not in downtown Phoenix, Smoothies not the greatest

must experience - Edit

this place is amazing, great customer service, super friendly and patient with my picky-ness. beautiful vibes in this place and their food! I drive 30 mins to come here and is totally worth it. their raw menu selection is delicious with lovely presentation. home made vegan cheeses, awesome smoothies and impressive desserts! all time favorite

My favorite! - Edit

My omni Husband absolutely loved it here! He had nachos which were made with walnuts and the taste was incredible. I had the Santa Fe tacos with the Watermelon Jalapeño Lemonade (crazy combo but had to try it). The atmosphere is cute and there are misters that cool the outdoor dining area. If you can only make it to one vegan place in AZ, this is it!

Pros: Delicious, Super friendly staff, Creative pairings

soooooo gooood! - Edit

Came here for breakfast, staff was so friendly! Got the gluten free pumpkin French toast and avocado sandi (sand which) everything so far is delicious! Can't beat fast and friendly service :)

delicious, cute & very fresh and healthy - Edit

The salads are very tasty (try with tempeh on side!) and hugh! And my cereals with fresh fruits were delicious. The soup was good, but unfortunately not hot.. Very healthy food :)
I think the prices are a bit too high (when I compare it wirh other good vegetarian restaurants, I mean a smoothie for $8 - $10!).

Pros: nice staff, very fresh & healthy, delicious

Cons: prices

Love this place! - Edit

I've been here twice, 1X for each trip to Arizona. I loved the food both times. The salads are excellent as well as the smoothies. I look for the healthy vegan restaurants and this one is it. I went there after running a race so it was a great place to re-fuel. They also have many tasty desserts!

Pros: delicious, healthy

Good Food, Cute Location - Edit

Pomegranate Cafe can be a little tricky to spot if you haven't been there before, because it's a fairly small place just behind Trader Joes. The dishes are tasty, and the deserts are especially amazing!

They're on the pricier end, although in my experience the daily special has been pretty reasonable. Their customer service is great: my friends and I went one time over an hour after the daily special price was supposed to end, but they still let my friend get it for that price.

Another nice thing about Pomegranate is that even though they are only a vegetarian place, most dishes are vegan, and everything defaults to vegan in the instances where there is the option to be vegan or vegetarian.

They also support the community in that they will let activists come and give presentations at the cafe.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday November 12, 2013

Pros: Taste

Cons: Pricey

Delicious!! - Edit

I love this place...I have been twice. The first visit I had a butternut squash soup...very good. Yesterday I tried the Green Bandito Burrito with tempeh instead of tofu. I will have a hard time trying something else on the menu after devouring that. The prices are reasonable...I'd probably stop by 3-4 times a week if it were closer to home. The staff is has been friendly and helpful. You will not be disappointed.

Pros: Have serve tempeh, Good portions, Reasonable Price

Cons: Far from my home

Great lunch! - Edit

I really liked the food here. My friend and I shared two of the "bowl" meals (The Bountiful Bowl and the Green Garden Protein Bowl). They were so good... I wish I could eat food this good every day, but I live about 20 miles away! I thought the bowl meals were the best value on the menu... the other items were priced a little high for me. When you enter, just take a menu and sit down to decide, then walk over to the counter to order & they will bring the food to you. Lots of parking available as it's in a shopping center.

Pros: Flavor!

My favorite cafe for vegan desserts! - Edit

(UPDATED) Pomegranate has really blossomed. They have a new expanded cafe and longer hours. Their desserts remain my favorite, with delicious creative offerings that are almost all vegan, with many gluten-free and raw options. I enjoy the pomegranate chocolate cake and new vegan cannolis. Their fresh juices and drinks are awesome, my favorite being the hibiscus cooler during the spring/summer season. The food has greatly improved from my first review (the Yves mock meat on a store-bought wheat bun). They have fresh homemade colorful dishes that are scrumptious, such as the buddah bowl or the taco salad. I still think the prices are quite high and the dessert portions seem to have shrunk, but it's hard to complain when you're licking the plate :-)

Pros: Fresh vegan, gluten-free, raw offerings, Expanded cafe & hours, Desserts to die for!

Cons: Expensive, Busy

Great Vegan Cafe - Breakfast paradise - Edit

I have had breakfast twice at the Pomegranate Cafe while visiting the Phoenix area. This place is fantastic!!

Great breakfast burritos and mexican breakfast scramble with vegan chorizo. Organic espresso drinks, fresh squeezed juices, etc, etc. Also the vegan cookies and baked goods looked good - not enough time to try everything.

Breakfast plates ran almost $10 so it is not cheap but it is not out of line and it is very good.

Pros: Many vegan choices, very knowledgable and friendly staff, some outside seating

Cons: not too expensive but not cheap

Inexpensive and Tasty - Edit

Every item on the menu is veganizable. The tofu burrito and BLT sandwich were delicious. All the baked goods are vegan - I enjoyed the Cowgirl cookie. This is a very cute cafe with very reasonable prices. Such a gem!

Can't wait to go back - Edit

This place is fabulous. Staff was really friendly.

My partner and I split a breakfast burrito and an avocado sandwich. The breakfast burrito was huge and filled with beans, eggs and vegetables with an amazing layering of flavors. The avocado sandwich was light and refreshing. They are prepared to make vegan just about everything on the menu as they have tofu and vegan cheese ready to go. The desserts looked enticing, but we were too full to try. Looking forward to going back again.

Pomegranate doesn't have a sign from the street and we were visiting from Tucson so it was a little tricky to find. It's in the same plaza as the Safeway back in the corner next to a yoga studio, so just look for that.

Pros: Good Vegan Options, Fresh Flavorful Food, Friendly Staff

Pomegranate Cafe - Edit

Pomegranate café is my absolutely favorite vegan place in the valley! I found it online browsing for vegan brunch options. It's kind of far from where I live in Scottsdale; I drive a half hour there about every other Sunday because it's just that good.
One of the reasons I love this place is because they are so accommodating! It's very limited seating but they welcome reservations. The staff is so friendly and you'll feel like you're at home. You will most assuredly be waited on by Cassie or her mom at some point. Everything in the place can be made vegan but they also have eggs, regular cheese and milk for those who would like them.
They have a whole page of teas to choose from and make some creative coffee drinks as well. Break out of the water rut and try something new.
The breakfast burrito is awesome! I started adding tempeh to it which was a nice touch. I personally can't stand the vegan sour cream or vegan cheese so I eschew them yet miss nothing because the flavors are so exciting. The in season scramble is not to be missed nor is the French toast. There was one on special last week: vegan blueberry French toast with pepitos and agave syrup that was to die for!
Their pastry chef is out of this world. She makes the best everything. I love it so much I had her make my wedding cake: a lemon ginger mixed berry cheesecake. It was as beautiful as it was yummy.
Last time I was in there I heard they are considering opening up another location. I can only hope that they consider closer to me but even if they don't, I will still make the drive no matter what.

Pros: friendly staff, delicious food

Cons: limited seating

Love, love, love Pomegranate - Edit

I have been to pomegranate many times and I have been pleased every single time! The staff are so friendly and helpful. The food is so delicious and made with heart. My favorite is the tacos and the collard green wrap. I am obsessed with the baked goods! I highly recommend it, Don't miss it!

Yes please, thank you - Edit

Such a wonderful place to come to after a day at the farmers market, yoga, or any other take care of you day. I started my day here on a Sunday and the rest of the day I felt in power. The buckwheat english muffin is moist and holds the tofu hash quite well. The potatoes were not cooked all the way through but perhaps I like mine squishy. My offive mates are headed there today to celebrate my birthday and I know that everyone will be able to eat healthy filling lunches.
They're closed Mondays (everyone needs a day off) and they've extended their hours to 4:30pm.

Pros: Great portion size, recommendations helpful, daily special adds variety

Cons: location...Awatukee is not my hood.

Fantastic tacos - Edit

We loved the food ! The family/Staff were amazing, friendly and very helpful. Willing to share information about thier recipe's. Eve shared a few ideas. Would definately go back. Everything was fresh and organic. judi had the summer tacos which were amazing, and I had the veggie philly melt. Amazing!

Pros: Excellent Food, Healthy and Organic, Great portions

Cons: None, None, None

It is so cute, clean, friendly and the food is the best! Their pastries are scrumptious! Food is unique. They have raw dishes and pastries along with marvelous soups! I really enjoy eating here!

Pros: large portions

Cons: have not found one yet

Return to Phoenix Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Pomegranate Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 7671 times since Jun 2010.