Polli's

808-572-7808

1202 Makawao Ave, Makawao, Hawaii, USA, 96768

Serves meat, vegan options available. Mexican restaurant in Maui upcountry. Has tofu fajitas, veggie burritos, vegan rice and beans. Owners are vegetarians. Open Mon-Sun 11:00am-10:00pm.

Categories: Lacto, Mexican, Non-veg

First Review by keithnorm

Convenient but so-so - Edit

I got vegan enchiladas (seasoned, but very salty, sauted tofu). It was dry but they did provide green salsa to compensate. The side beans and rice were okay. If I were to rate solely based on taste, I'd probably give 1 star. But I appreciate their effort in offering alternatives for vegetarians and their friendly customer service. Lot of restaurants would just simply leave out the meat and dairy but at least Polli's offer tofu and tempeh to substitute the meat. With just a little more effort, I'd be able to imagine rating them with 5 stars on taste. Just add some grilled veggies and vegan cheese (like Daiya), leave out the dairy in their guacamole (which is a shame they don't already, since traditional delicious guacamole doesn't have dairy). Even traditional enchilada sauce is vegan, but they don't even have that (hence my dry enchilada). Shredded vegan cheese can be stored a long time in the freezer so I don't think they would be losing any profits by offering this. Unfortunately, when I asked about vegan cheese, the waiter said he never even knew that existed.

Pros: Convenient stop after a day at Haleakala Summit., Tasty chips. Provides alternatives to meat., Friendly staff. Nice videos to watch while waiting

Cons: Food not really tasty (bland).

Best fajitas! - Edit

Stumbled across this place while exploring Makawao. My wife and I shared an order of the tofu fajitas. They had peppers, onions, mushrooms, olives, and tofu and were seasoned perfectly (spicy but not too spicy)! We verified with the waiter that the beans (both refried and black beans) are vegan as is the rice. Instead of cheese and sour cream, they substituted fresh avocado slices and tomatoes. She told us the owners that started the restaurant are vegetarian and so the menu is very veg-friendly (despite the restaurant not being strictly vegetarian). But, my wife and I get Mexican a lot and this was the best vegan Mexican we've had.

Pros: friendly staff, good food

Cons: salsa not great (hawaiian tomatoes not as good)

Return to Makawao Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Polli's closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.