Pole Pole

Setagaya, Shimokitazawa 4-17-7, Tokyo, Japan,

ポレポレなぎの森 is a small place where the non-English-speaking owner is also the chef. Offers organic wine, beer and a German Weizenbier. Closed 3rd Tuesday of month and occasionally for special events. Open Tue-Sun 12:00pm-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan, International, Japanese, Macrobiotic, Beer/Wine

First Review by KerstinSHaring

location is wrong and it's closing in May! - Edit

Beware the address on happy cow is wrong! Use this link
https://g.co/kgs/q6xAe5 or search for pole pole shimokitazawa in Google.

Had a great time there. However the owner is moving out of Tokyo in a May, and closing shop.

charming and delicious - Edit

Quiet spot in a sweet little neighborhood. The owner/chef was friendly and served great food- I had a plate and my husband tried the burdock dish of the day. Presentation was great and meal was relaxing and so enjoyable. Care and thought was put into each detail. Very enjoyable.

delicious and delightful - Edit

This is such a great place. The owner and chef Takeshi was not only a great chef but also an amazing guy. He made our two visits really special. Delicious food. Amazing sangria.

Pros: chef and owner Takeshi, delicious large plate, Korean pancake

AMAZING!!!! - Edit

So cute and great!!! The man cooked my pasta from scratch and it smelt amazing through the kitchen - it also taSted incredible !!!!! Can't reccommend this place enough , super close walk from the station!!!!!

Cozy and friendly place - Edit

I decided to have luch here since I was going from Daitabashi to Shimokitazawa and it's pretty much in between. The place felt very warm and cozy, and was nicely decorated. The owner was very helpful and friendly, and we talked (as far as my japanese level let me) while he prepared my meal. The menu had a very wide variety of dishes, which I personally love, and included a soup and a bowl of rice. I found everything to be delicious. The menu was 1500¥, which I think is a reasonable price for quality ingredients and food made with care. I will sure be back before leaving Tokyo.

Good food good people - Edit

Only a short walk from Shimokitazawa and Shindaita train stations on the Inokaishira train line this little restaurant deserves a visit for its hospitality and great food. The chef and his family are awesome and the menu may be small but it is varied and hearty with generous servings. If you are a large group you should call ahead as its capacity is probably around 15 people. I've eaten here several times on separate trips to Tokyo and it will always be a must visit for me for the good conversation and great food. Prices are on or below average for Tokyo.

Pros: Generous servings, good food., Warm and welcoming, Convienent location.

Cozy place and delicious food - Edit

You ll find this restaurant in a quiet street in a must see neighborhood Shimokitazawa
Owner who is also a cook is very friendly and speaks English. Place is small and cozy. We had a lunch specials : deep fried soy with brown rice and curry. It was delicious and came with various cooked vegetables and pickles.

Pros: Friendly, great food

Cons: No english menu but owner will chat with you and e

Warm, friendly environment... - Edit

We came here while secondhand shopping around Shimokitazawa and the place was cute with a very friendly owner who took the time to chat with us. We were provided with an English menu when I struggled with the Japanese one. I ordered the pasta dish and my companion the lunch special and we quenched our thirst with large glasses of blood orange juice while we waited. I think when you come here you get something a bit different: my pasta was not what I expected, with cabbage and rainbow chard with stalks in the tomato-based sauce. The lunch special consisted of a number of dishes and included small white radishes, which were not quite to my taste. All the while the owner conversed with us about the foods he was using. There were notices on boards advertising community events hosted by and at the restaurant. Because I had to have dessert, I ordered a walnut and hemp seed cake, which was a little on the 'wholefoods' side but still OK. If you're looking for gourmet cuisine, this place won't give you that, but it will offer you vegan home cooking with a friendly, relaxed atmosphere.

Pros: Nice space, Friendly owner

Cons: Food not always great

yummy - Edit

I went there several times and every time the food was really good. There is an "evening plate" which is Japanese style food with is a selection whatever is in season (changes daily) with brown rice and Miso soup. All strictly vegan.
The owner is also the cook is this small place and is very nice. He only speaks very few English, but I found out he named the place after his little family which is so charming.
My recommendation is the organic German Weizenbier with your diner and if you are still not full, have some of the cakes for dessert.

Pros: excellent food, good value, nice vibe

Return to Tokyo Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Pole Pole closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.