Po Lin Yuen Vegetarian Take Away - Shek Tong Tsui

Contact 25171178

608 Queen's Rd W, Shek Tong Tsui, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong, China,

This 寶蓮苑素食 is a takeaway, no seating. Sells veggie dim sum. Taro and turnip cakes also available. Previously located on Jervois in Sheung Wan. Open Mon-Sun 7:30am-9:30pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Chinese, Take-out only

First Review by JohnnySensible

Cheap take-away - Edit

They have lunch take-away specials for only $25HK, which include soup, rice, and one entree. I tried the eggplant with bean curd, which was nothing special, but it was a good sized portion with lots of different vegetables. Worth stopping by if you are around HKU.

Pros: good value

Po Lin Yuen Vegetarian, Sai Wan - Edit

I get no pleasure reporting the episode below. It is I regret to say though a factual representation of events.

I went here tonight. As per what the listing says this place is take away only.

When I arrived I waved and greeted the lady behind the counter and the man in the kitchen by saying hello in Cantonese. I then asked the lady behind the counter to take a look at a print out in Chinese (traditional and simplified) I have explaining what does and what doesn't go into a vegan meal. She wasn't interested in looking. Fair enough. I then turned to a simple pictorial representation that I have with a smiley face on one page and a sad face on the other, with each face surrounded by the appropriate food items. I have enjoyed great success with this strategy in Hong Kong helped by the consistently helpful disposition of the Hong Kong restaurant staff and customer. it didn't work this time as the woman refused to take a look to help me. I then tried asking the man in the kitchen if he would take a look. He similarly refused. I thus left hungry and unfed to try somewhere else.

The timing of this is quite ironic in that I went to Kwang Bo earlier today for lunch. As per the review I posted of there, the entire restaurant was trying to help me get some food. Onwards and upwards.

Cons: Unhelpful staff

Good For Snacks - Edit

Walked past this a few times before we spotted the sign! Got a selection of things to take away, sticky mushroom skewers, mock chicken and some over-greasy spring rolls. The mushrooms were delicious and the mock chicken was pretty good, nice to get some protein.
Some of it was labelled in English but it was mostly point and hope for the best!
Chinese food, all vegetarian, fairly inexpensive.
Great option if you are in the locale.

Pros: Choice, Take Away

Cons: Greasy

Delightful! - Edit

The other location is here - http://www.happycow.net/reviews.php?id=19816

Food for the locals - retro.

No frills.

Friendly folk - not so used to foreigners but very welcoming.

Simple English menu.

Hong Kong's most reasonably priced dim-sum.

Great for breakfast.

I have been coming here for many years.

In the same street you can find great incense - real agarwood & lumps of sandalwood.

'......neat little packets of sandalwood done up like kindling,......' - from The Sea Priestess by Dion Fortune

Return to Hong Kong Island Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Po Lin Yuen Vegetarian Take Away - Shek Tong Tsui closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.