First Review by animallawgal

Vegetarians Beware - Edit

If you are a vegetarian you should stay far away from any prepared item made at Plum Market. The cabbage soup which was labeled as vegan was actually made with a tomato sauce that had anchovies (fish ) in it. A staff member confided this to me and then I verified that it was true with the chef and the manager. They told me that they were going to switch tomato sauces, but my insider at Plum tells me that they are still using the same sauce with fish and labeling the soup as being vegan. I was told by this staff member at Plum that this happens a lot. She told me that if you are a vegetarian that you should not be eating here. I advise any vegetarians and vegans to do the same.

Pros: fresh produce

Cons: mis-labeling, over priced

For groceries only - Edit

Decent for grocery shopping, they can have some good sales. This is a new chain, that is basically copying Whole Foods. What is really funny is that the family that owns Plum Market is the family that owned the Merhcant of Vino's stores, which were bought out by Whole Foods several years ago. You'll find most vegetarian and vegan grocery and household items that you would at Whole Foods, but Plum Market fails to offer vegan options in their deli and prepared foods departments. Not worth a special trip unless you are really hell bent on not spending your money at Whole Foods.

Pros: large store, great produce selection, good sales

Cons: pricey, deli not vegan friendly

Return to Bloomfield Township Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Plum Market closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 691 times since Apr 2008.