CLOSED: Plum Cafe

Contact 206-325-6429

324 15th Ave E (at Capitol Hill District), Seattle, Washington, USA, 98112

Vegan sandwich shop specializing in vegan burgers, hot sandwiches, crepes, paninis, and a full selection of desserts, beverages, and seasonal specials. Mostly take-out with a few small tables. Previously called The Cafe by Hillside Quickies and also Sage Organic Bakery and Cafe. THIS ONE SHUT OCT 31, 2014.

Category: Vegan, American, International, Organic, Take-out

First Review by Miso Vegan

everything was really good! - Edit

We ordered from the small yet varied selection on the Happy Hour menu. The Cajun Mac & Yease is amazing! A bit greasy but SO tasty. Ruben was very good. My boyfriend really liked the French Onion soup. The Curry Yam fries were delicious and the 3 sauces that accompanied them made the dish stellar. Prices were reasonable
Definitely give this place a try.

Plum is Teh Win!! - Edit

This hole-in-the-wall lunch & dinner spot will fill you up and make you want to come back. Plum (formerly known as Sage, formerly known as Hillside Quickie) is top notch. The sandwiches are creative, consistently delicious and filling, and the service is amazing for how small an operation it is.

My favorite thing to get there is the Fremont Philly served on a bed of lettuce instead of the bread. Oh, the bread is delicious, I just like getting extra greens in my diet. The yease sauce that comes with it is more delicate than the sauce I make at home. Today, I had the thai curry gyro, which was bursting with flavor. It had some kind of vegan tzatziki sauce on it, which blended magnificently with the taste of the red curry. I ate it very slowly so I could savor every last bit. I'm also quite fond of the Venice Beach sandwich, which comes with avocado, mustard and house-pickled onions. Divine!

I don't eat much meat, but when I do, it's usually because I am hungry in a way that vegetarian food just can't help with. At least, that's what I thought before I met Plum Cafe. While seitan, tofu and tempeh are never going to be just like meat, Plum serves sandwiches that will sate any level of hunger.

The only reason Plum Cafe didn't get 5 cows is because the last several times I've gone there, only one person was working. That's counter, busing, and cooking, all done by 1 person. He kicks ass and takes names, but with the limited resouces, service is a little slow. But YOU CAN HELP! GO there a lot! Tell your friends! Make that place crazy busy so they have the increased need and funds hire more people and keep making that nomtastic vegan food!

Pros: Filling, Varied, Delicious!

Cons: Makes me want to overeat! , Under-staffed (Give them business!)

Cute, Tasty, not for every day - Edit

A cute, little sandwich shop with a nice atmosphere, friendly staff and reasonably fast service.

There is plenty of variety on the menu and most of it looks very tempting.

The food (that I had/saw) there is a little on the saucy, rich side with large portions. So, while it's yummy as a treat and they pull it off well, it's not the kind of meal you'd want to have on a daily basis if you're health conscious. If they started serving half portions with a salad or veggie side then it would be a happy balance.

Updated from previous review on Tuesday October 01, 2013

Pros: Tasty, Friendly staff and atmosphere, Reasonably priced

Cons: A little heavy/rich, medium

Amazing, delicious, fantastic - Edit

So do yourself a favor and get to the Plum Cafe in Sacramento. I am SICK of places calling themselves or their food vegan when it contains bleached sugar/flour and/or honey. This place is the real deal. The staff is super cute and friendly, they are not snarky, and the food is to die for. Get ANY baked good there, but I recommend choosing a blueberry scone, a cowboy creamie, or a mint brownie. Their "tuna melt" is fantastic: jackfruit never tasted so good. Excellent, welcoming environment, in a great location, totally walkable from downtown. Best I've had in a long time, and I have been vegan for over a decade.

Pros: Great selection and delicious!, Fair pricing, Fun staff, nice atmosphere!

Cons: Not in San Diego, Not in my backyard, Not in my county :(

tasty sandwiches - Edit

first off, this is not a health food restaurant. it doesn't claim to be one either. it's hearty sandwiches and comfort food. the mac 'n' yease is delicious and greasy, like it should be. i go to sage every time i'm back in seattle.

on their website, in the menu section, they clearly state "allow us 15 minutes - good food takes time" and it usually takes about 15 minutes to get your food. so, if you're looking for a quick bite, call ahead.

Pros: food, location, staff

Cons: a bit pricey

Don't go if you want healthy fresh food - Edit

This restaurant is giving vegan food a bad name! My "burger" was way over spiced, salty and sloppy. My daughter's crepe was better with sautéed mushrooms and tempeh. If they didn't slather it with a boatload of sauce it would have been better. My other daughter had another burger and it wasn't too bad. The service was was borderline disinterested. Even though there was just one other table she never bothered to notice that we only had two water glasses at our table of three. This was after she refilled water and glasses to the other empty table in the three table joint. Moshe clearly had very little to do.

The music was blaring and sadistic. Not the kind you usually want to hear during lunch.

Pros: Vegan, Great neighborhood

Cons: Greasy, Salty, Bad service

Great food, despite... - Edit

Don't let the glossy website fool you, this place is a grungy, low low-budget cafe. There is VERY limited seating and the service leaves MUCH to be desired. First, they make you pay for your meal AND TIP before you ever receive your food. Then, the food takes forever to come out. Both times I've been there they have been out of critical items making it necessary to order another dish (is there anything more annoying???). I'd like to tell you how the "milkshakes" are, but both times they were out of ice cream. However, the food is AWESOME. Literally. You may never have thought that you wanted potato salad on your sandwich, but, trust me, you do. There are a LOT of menu items; various wraps and sandwiches.

Pros: Food!, All vegan!

Cons: Tacky store, very low-budget, Service, Parking

Nothing Spectacular - Edit

I've had to eat here a few times while working on Capital Hill. It seems to me that the service is extremely slow - it took 20 minutes to heat an item out of the display case - and they are overpriced, you can't get a sandwich under $10 which is too pricey for my blood. The food isn't bad, but if I'm paying that much and waiting that long I can go to Teapot across the street.

PACKED on a Saturday for good reason! Brunch! - Edit

What a cool little place! It fills up quick, but the cooks and server are quick and friendly. The Chipolte sandwich was AMAZING! We were eying these double decker vegan burgers, too. If you get there before 2 on Sat I believe there is a fantastic looking brunch offer, we say crepes, waffles and other goodness as we ordered lunch.

Pros: sandwiches

Always Outstanding - Edit

They are my first choice for take-out lunch! Their "fremont-philly" is amazing. Great flavor - wonderful meat analogue. They were running a dinnder menu for a short while which I wish they would do again.

Pros: Vegan, Good portions, Flavor!

Cons: Slow for take-out

bread lover's DELIGHT! I'd like a vegetable please - Edit

If you LOVE bread and you are ready to eat 13 loaves condensed down into one neat little over sized sandwich then this is your stop! I had a side of little wheat pastas with a sandwich composed of grilled bread stuffed with grilled (probably fried?) wheat gluten. I thought that my heart would actually EXPLODE if I breathed too much. Yummy, but not well rounded, fresh or energizing--in my experience. And a little more than I'd prefer to spend on a sandwich. It's an experience, for sure, but nothing to subject your body to everyday (be warned). Salads too are a bit much on the greasy side but seems to be the way things go in Seattle veggie restaurants anyways. The easy way out, you know: salt and fat.

Pros: friendly, soups, big windows

Cons: so-so vegies

mediocre at best - Edit

I really don't know what people see in this place. I've only eaten there a few times, and that was enough. All the food was either too bland or too salty. Edible, but not good. I was very underwhelmed. (Note: The Cafe is not at all soul/southern. Veg soul food cannot be found in Seattle.)

Pros: friendly staff

Cons: mediocre food.

Worth it! - Edit

I love Hillside Quickies in the U District, Quickie Too in Tacoma, and now The Cafe on Capital Hill. Southern cooking gone vegan, complete with the grease, salt and garlic. Mmmmmm! ...
This isn't really a sit-down place, though there are a few chairs.
Unfortunately, it's a bit erraticc - sometimes I've gone there and the were "closed for 15 minutes." 15 minutes from when? How long should I wait? WHY are you closed?! ... Get the mac 'n' yease. Mmmm. I don't get to Cap Hill often, but I'm glad to have a vegan option there.

Pros: goooood food, fair prices, Vegan!

Cons: location?, not a sit-down place

Return to Seattle Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Plum Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.