First Review by Vegan GiGi

Upscale plant based dining - Edit

A very upscale space that is a pleasure to dine in. Friendly and helpful staff in a hip atmosphere. Creative plant based dishes without the use of fake meats. Delicious dinner.

Pros: beautiful space creative cooking helpful and fri

Cons: pricey but worth it for a special dinner

Excellent Food and good service .... a little pricey but not excessively so considering the ambiance and service. - Edit

Tried half a dozen dishes. Very tasty, good flavours. Emphasis on Organic. We enjoyed all the dishes, although one was not quite perfectly prepared, it was almost like eating at home!

Presentation was very good and the surroundings were elegant and clean. The only jarring note was the poor quality sound system playing distorted "music".

Excellent organic wine selection!

The dessert we tried (avocado cheesecake) was very good.

As is common in Toronto, the coffee wasn't great - such a shame as it's the last thing many customers consume.

Cost for two with a glass of wine for one $95.00. Our meal consisted of soup, mains and one dessert.

Would we go again? Most definitely - it was the best meal we've had in a restaurant for a long time!

Pros: Good service, High quality food, Clean elegant surroundings

Cons: Noisy distorted music system, Coffee not up to the quality of the food, Somewhat expensive

AMAZING upscale vegan food. - Edit

Planta's food is quite amazing. It's also quite expensive, though not unexpectedly so. The decor is well-designed, attractive, and modern, and the restaurant is in a nice area of downtown called Yorkville (right at Bay subway station). It is what the Toronto vegan scene needed, ever since its 2 other upscale vegan restaurants (Tori's Bakeshop After Hours and Grasslands) closed down within the last year.

The service at Planta was very friendly and overall good, though they did make a few errors with our drinks. I'll chalk the errors up to them being such a new restaurant though (they opened just a month ago). One other thing to note is that the cocktails may not be all that strong. My lightweight boyfriend had 2 Pear'd up drinks, and he didn't get a buzz at all.

For dinner, there were 4 of us, and we shared most of the items we ordered. So, I got to taste several items, including: beets and grapefruit salad, mushroom and roasted squash salad, Brussels sprouts fried rice, steamed broccoli, coconut ceviche, Frenchie pizza, crab cakes, and no noodle lasagna. Everything was VERY good, and my favorite item was the fried rice. The coconut ceviche and crab cakes were really innovative and delicious too.

For dessert, we shared the chocolate terrarium (with peanut butter cream) and the coconut chia pudding with passion fruit sorbet (served inside a young Thai coconut). Both were delicious, but the coconut pudding was ridiculously good.

Overall, our experience at Planta was wonderful. It is an expensive restaurant, though, so it was really nice to be treated to a meal there by my parents. I don't expect to go back too often because of the cost, but I will be very very excited when I do!!

Pros: delicious food, beautiful decor, all vegan

Cons: expensive

Return to Toronto Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Planta closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.