Plant

Vegan restaurant offering breakfast such as power oatmeal and tofu scramble wrap; lunch burger, wrap, and a buddha box of tofu with miso peanut dressing served with brown rice and greens; plus desserts, smoothies, cold pressed juices, beer and wine. Sells its own retail line of vegan mayo, cheese, tempeh bacon, and marshmallow. Opened Feb 2014 previously at The Urban Hub on Buitengracht St. Open Mon 8:30am-5:00pm, Tue-Fri 8:30am-10:00pm, Sat 8:30am-3:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Organic, Western, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Delivery, Take-out

First Review by Stevo11

I was excited to visit but disappointed - Edit

After reading all the reviews I was excited to visit this restaurant but I was disappointed. I ordered their special meal - a burger. The patty didn't stick together and was falling apart, however the taste was very good. As a second meal I ordered quesadilla. I didn't realise that it had mushrooms in it that I don't like (not a fault of the restaurant) but with the quesadilla I got a choice of three dips which one of them was guacamole that tasted very strange - it's gone bad. I got a fresh replacement after complaining but it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Pros: beautiful environment

energy nutrition booster - Edit

everything is nutritious and the replacements are adding to the flavour. I can feel my energy returning and love the traditional as well as optimistic new creations

Pros: High value

Cons: limited space. this place will grow in high demand

Delicious vegan food in Cape Town - Edit

Such joy to be able to order anything on the menu. And better still, it's all delicious. The food varies from healthy salads to juicy burgers; Asian style to Mexican dishes; breakfast, lunch and dinner; plus a great range of smoothies & juices to craft beer and vegan wine.
A regular spot for locals and a must visit for travelers.

Pros: Menu, Service and friendly staff, Location and hours

Cons: Not open on Sunday

JUST GO! The BEST Vegetarian/Vegan Restaurant I've been to for years! - Edit

This place is absolutely incredible. Everything you order is full of rich flavours and creative tastes. I keep ordering more and more just to taste it! Heaven for Vegans as you can have things like Nachos, and Quesadilla's filled with 'meat' and dripping with 'cheese' and even a side of 'sour cream'; none of it from animals but all of it absolutely delicious!!! Even the cocktails, try a Kombucha Mojito, are amazing. Top quality place not to be missed on a visit to Cape Town

Pros: Incredible food for vegans, vegetarians & meaties, Smoothies and cocktails also amazing, Service is exceptional

Cons: There isn't a Plant in every town I visit

can't wait to go back - Edit

I went here for lunch the other day with my partner. The staff were super friendly and the service was very quick. I had the cheese toastie and he had the Vis Burger and we both thought the meals were great.
We both really want to go back and try the dinner menu which looks fantastic.
the only down side was the coffee was a bit weak.

Pros: great food, friendly staff, amazing menu

Cons: coffee was average

Great choices, delicious food - Edit

We went for an evening meal, and were allowed to chose from the large, varied lunch or dinner menu. A good mix of food options for good value
Butternut squash soup (on special) for starter was thick and flavorsome, served with fresh bread.
For main I had aubergine tower with lentils - the aubergine was cooked really well, and the hoisin sauce on the lentils was rich with good flavour. My boyfriend had the chilli, which was served with rice, salsa and guac. The chilli was a bit too sweet for him to finish (it had chocolate in the sauce, which gave it a rich, but very sweet taste). The accompaniments were all good.
We got chocolate brownie, banana muffin, and milk tart to take away. All were really good - rich and nutty brownie, nice, crumbly muffin, and smooth and creamy milk tart.
Portions of food were all large, and the lady working there was very friendly. If we had more time, I would definitely have gone back to sample the breakfast menu!!

Pros: Good choice of food, Tasty food (especially cakes/desserts!), Good value for money

Cons: Restaurant was really dark in the evening!

Still the only 100% vegan restaurant in Cape Town - Edit

Plant is a fully vegan restaurant committed to the growth of veganism in the world. Their food is varied, creative and delicious. They have improved hugely since they first opened and is a great place to bring non-vegan friends to give them a taste of real vegan food. I particularly love their chickpea flour omelette and their awesome juices. They also serve tempeh, which is hard to find in Cape Town, and have a great selection of muffins. Go there!

Pros: Fully vegan, Great tasting food, Friendly service

Cons: Not always open for dinner

AMAZING FOOD!!!! - Edit

I ordered at least six items on the menu when visiting and they were all delicious. I highly recommend going there, it is by far the best vegan restaurant in SA.

Pros: healthy, amazing food

Best vegan restaurant in SA - Edit

Plant is an awesome restaurant with great people running it, super tasty food, and great ethics. I would eat every meal here every day if I could. I would HIGHLY recommend the breakfast croissant.

Pros: 100% vegan, Adien in the best, Healthy

Delicious - Edit

Really yummy food. The lasagna and quesadillas are phenomenal and the cupcakes and milk tart are divine. The staff is incredibly nice and helpful and all round a lovely experience.The portions can sometimes be quiet small considering the price, but otherwise I would definitely go back.
Updated from previous review on Thursday June 04, 2015

Pros: Delicious Food, Nice staff

Cons: Sometimes expensive

Best restaurant in South Africa - Edit

I ordered Quesadilla, Breakfast Boost Smoothie and a cupcake. Everything was awesome especially the Quesadilla. I never had such a good meal during my stay in South Africa. The staff war so friendly and caring. I love this restaurant!!
I also tested the ordered meals from my friends they had nachos which was also very good!

Pros: Fresh food, Friendly staff, Clean

Cons: Some meals are too oily/too much fat, A little pricey

Nice place - food was ok - Edit

While it is nice to have an all began restaurant in the city centre, the food is only ok. I have also only had unenthusiastic reviews from friends who have been there. I feel like the place is finding its feet, but that the cooking is not yet up to scratch. Maybe it will get better though. The tempeh bacon was really not very good at all, but the rest of the food was tasty and relatively simple. The staff were lovely though (although they didn't know how to deal with soy milk in a coffee) and I hope that the place realises its potential.

Pros: all vegan, marshmallows available, friendly staff

Cons: food unimpressive

My favourite place to eat - Edit

Plant has moved to bigger, better premises. Yay!
Cnr Buiten and Loop Street - one road back from vibey Long Street.
New Plant has longer hours - and a liquor license.
The menu has Plant's old favourites plus new things to try.
They also sell vegan options for foods like mayonnaise, cheese, bacon and "biltong" as well as superfoods and vegan snacks.

Pros: Vegan food, Great food, Friendly staff

Cons: Near Long Street

Great new vegan eatery in Cape Town - Edit

A must visit place in Cape Town! They have moved from a small cafe style venue to a larger licensed premisis.
There is a good variety of excellent vegan dishes available, and you can buy all sorts of tasty vegan stuff like mushroom biltong and tempeh bacon etc etc. Love their juices and smoothies, and their 'egg' salad is one of my favourites.
Will visit often!

Pros: Great vegan food, Tasty meltable cheezes, Excellent service and friendly staff

Cons: menu is a touch 'carby'

Disappointing - Edit

I was excited to try a new vegan restaurant and the menu sounded great, but I ultimately felt like I can have better food at home. The interesting items on the menu weren't as interesting as they sounded. I would have been happy to receive this at a regular restaurant with no notice but I was expecting more from a vegan cafe. The portions were very small for the price.
Updated from previous review on Saturday August 16, 2014

Pros: 100% vegan menu, Friendly service, Cool restaurant design

Cons: Small portions, Average food, Difficult to find parking

2 Responses

Adien Hi Natasha

I am so sorry you had a bad experience at Plant. I am the owner, we have had some issues with our kitchen but I am happy to report that we have made some changes and working on quality control and portion sizes. I would appreciate it if you could get in touch with me so I could rectify this situation. My email address is [email protected]
Best wishes
Adien

Terrible! - Edit

Have been to Plant 4 times to give them a fair chance. Every time I've experienced poor service, inconsistent quality, tiny portions of ingredients besides bread and wrap and left feeling hungry and ripped off. So sad as I would love to support them.. Have contacted the owner in the spirit of transparency, but cannot with good faith recommend this cafe.

Cons: Tiny portions, Terrible value for money, Mostly carb based unimaginative

Adien Hi

I am so sorry that you have had bad experiences at Plant. We are working really hard to sort out these issues. I believe we have been in touch. Please email me at [email protected]

nice healthy food - Edit

A cute small vegan resto with lots of healthy food. Imaginative dishes. To my eye, I wish there were more protein options but everything was plant-based. Dressings were all served on the side. The miso ginger dressing was great and the juices were a steal. A huge bottle if drinking inside. I wished portions were bigger but I guess this way I had room for dessert

Pros: healthy, creative foods

Cons: small portions

Delicious & Friendly - Edit

I ate at Plant twice over the course of a weekend in CT. The food is delicious (do have the raw chocolate cake!!!) and the service is terrific. The staff is friendly and helpful and packed me up a scrumptious lunch for my flight. I wish I had had more time as there were a lot of items on the menu that I would have loved to try.

Pros: Menu Options, Delicious, Great Staff

Plant is an Oasis - Edit

I am grateful that Plant exists. I was in Cape Town playing music and was told it would be impossible to find vegan food and this restaurant saved my life. the dishes I got were delicious and well thought out. I had a smoothie that hit the spot as well. Thank you!

just great... - Edit

Stumbled over it when checking out vegan options in Cape Town on Happy Cow. Super-nice crowd, very friendly staff. Simple and plain seating but therefore authentic and genuine. Tofu wrap and Mint-cocoa smoothie just wonderful and filling. Closed on Sundays so a 'must-be-back-on-Monday' for sure.
Please stay alive you great, little shop.

Cons: Opening hours: so far 09:00h; too late for those h

Return to Western Cape Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Plant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3660 times since Jan 2014.