PLANT

• Vegan
Contact 070-4115-8388

Plant 63-15 Itaewon-dong, Yongsan-gu, Seoul, South Korea,

Vegan cafe and bakery with a changing menu of sandwiches, kale salad, wraps, and occasionally veggie burgers. Also offers baked cakes, cookies, brownies, coffee and chai.

Category: Vegan, Western, Take-out, Bakery, Korean

First Review by ruth1

Get there early and enjoy - Edit

This is the place I was mostly looking forward to eating at while in Seoul. However, we arrived 15 minutes before closing time and we were told we could not get food from the kitchen.

We did get the chocolate peanut butter cake and it was amazing. Wish we could have tried more as we probably won't have a chance to go back.

It's worth a visit just get there before 7 p.m.

Watch a video on YouTube before you go to learn how to get there.

Pros: Delicious, Vegan, Cute

Cons: Early closing hours , Hard to find

Stellar bakery - Edit

My friend and I popped in here one rainy afternoon for some coffee and dessert. I got the espresso layer cake and he got a cookie... and I then ended up buying one of everything from the bakery to take home.

Pros: Menu is in English, Staff speaks English, Delicious

Cons: Not enough seating

Best vegan food - Edit

Hands down the best food I had during my three week trip to Korea, and would even go so far as to say one of the best meals I've ever had. I ordered the lentil veggie burrito bowl which came with brown lentils, black beans, corn, pico de gallo, aioli sauce, kale, rice, pickled cabbage, nacho chips, and cilantro. Sounds kind of average but somehow the flavors worked so well together and I ate soo slow because I never wanted it to end. And the atmosphere is so cozy, hip, and relaxing. Absolutely loved it.

Pros: Amazing food, Great atmosphere, Healthy

Nice cozy place - Edit

Nice place but. limited options. They only have a few dishes a day, but the place is as small as a one bedroom apartment so it is understandable. Food is good. I don't normally like cakes, but I tried it and it was bearable.

Pros: 100% Vegan, Nice staff, Cozy

Cons: in a stinky alle, hard to move around

My go-to place - Edit

Plant has a small menu (2 or 3 choices a day, which are the same for around a week), but the quality is consistent. The restaurant itself is very small and the prices are a tad high, but the food is healthy, 100% vegan and the portions are good as well. There are many desserts and drinks to choose from as well. The desserts are not as delicious as they were before vegan butter disappeared from Korea, but they're still the best I've found in Korea so far. There are some really delicious drinks available. I love their burger and their wraps. Not all menu items are a homerun, but they all feel homemade and good for your body.

Pros: Healthy, Tasty, Lots of vegan drinks

Cons: A bit expensive, very small restaurant, desserts not as good as they once were

the loveliest place! - Edit

wow, I just could not wish for more: cozy place, great atmosphere with delicious food! maybe you have to be a bit patient to get a table but it's so worth it! definitely will go there again! the carrot cake!!!

Pros: simply delicious

My favorite Vegan Restaurant in all of S. Korea! - Edit

I love this place! The owner/founder, Mipa, runs an excellent blog called, "An Alien's day out." The food here is amazing. Last Friday I swung by for lunch and ordered the BBQ Tofu Burger along with a hot ginger-orange tea. It was complete heaven.

The cakes and cookies are always amazing too. I can't wait to go back there :)

Pros: Delicious Lunch/dinner items, Best baked vegan goodies!, Can order vegan cakes

Cons: Can sell-out, Small space

So nice - Edit

I went here for a homemade kombucha and later for lunch. The place smells nice and looks cozy!
The food was okay, the only gluten-free option was nut stew that left wishing for some protein. Peanut butter chocolate cake was veeery good :>

Pros: Cozy, Food and cakes

Cons: A bit hard to find

Super food, super fun - Edit

First, this place is hard to find so go with a local or take a Google Map-equipped smartphone. It's also small, so I hope you find seating!... Once inside, they've got great super-goody, gluten-free baked goods + treats. Try the oreo brownie. We had green smoothies (spirulina, peanut butter, frozen bananas, ... other good stuff I forget) and an African-style peanut stew with couscous and salad. Both really tasty. The smoothie was filling – almost more so than the meal! The smoothie cost 6500KRW and the stew 12500, so not cheap but not expensive and I reckon you get quality ingredients. I'd love to rep this place and would've bought a t-shirt but the large was too short/small... The (co?)owner speaks fluent English. Definitely recommended.

Pros: Quality ingredients, Tasty stuff!, Vegan ethos

Cons: Hard to find, little seating, Bit pricy

Awesome place - Edit

I visited this place many times when I lived in Seoul, there are a few dishes offer daily but all of them are incredibly delicious even for non-vegetarian like me. Cakes are good too but the frosting is a little bit too sweet for me.

Instagram worthy food! - Edit

Everything I ate here was delicious. The mains were light and healthy, but filling. There is a small choice for main dishes, but I wanted to eat all of them! There is a great choice of cakes and cookies, with some being gluten free. Plus everything looked like it belonged on Instagram!

If you follow the map/directions provided by Plant, it's actually quite easy to find. English is spoken by everyone who works there, so it's easy if you don't speak any Korean. It's not the cheapest place to eat, but this is reflected in the quality of the food.

Delicious food~ - Edit

After following their instagram for a long time, I was very excited to finally go there on my trip to Korea.
The cakes looked delicious!! But unfortunately I didn't have the chance to try them as I went over for lunch and was quite full after.

The place was a bit hard to find and it was completely full that day. We had to wait for a table and after we got one I kind of felt like I should hurry to give place to the people that were already queuing by the door. The decoration is very nice, but it is indeed a bit small.. I wish they can move to a bigger place in the future!

I had the vegan Tempeh wrap and it was really good and fresh!! I would say it's a bit pricey for the amount of food (my boyfriend eats quite a lot and I could tell he was a bit disappointed looking at his plate). However, the cakes and beverages may be close to what you'll pay in a regular korean coffee shop.

Definitely going back to try the cakes! And I might give this review 5 stars after that :)

Pros: Fresh and tasty food, Cozy, Good presentation

Cons: A bit pricey, Small place with just a few tables

Cozy vegan retreat in the middle of the city! - Edit

I love PLANT for many reasons. The food is amazing, the portion sizes perfect (I eat a LOT) and the atmosphere is so relaxed. It was a bit difficult to find at first and they run out of baked goods quite quickly so it's key to arrive sooner rather than later! The people are so sweet though, both the employees and the customers are eager to strike up a conversation, I recommend sitting at the big shared table in the middle! If you're more the quiet type, there is always soft music playing in the background at the perfect volume to still allow you to pull out a book and enjoy yourself in the smaller tables at the back. It's more for tourists than anything else though and I've seen only a handful of locals walk in. Also, relatively expensive but I find that it's definitely worth the price!

Pros: Amazing food, Great atmosphere, Wonderful people

Cons: Kind of tight, Running out of the best sweets!

Relaxing vegan bakery, delicious food! - Edit

I really liked Plant because the service was great and the food was phenomenal. It was a bit expensive for the amount of food and quality of it, but Plant is definitely worth a visit if you're in the area.

Pros: Great food and pastries, Friendly staff

Cons: Location is too small (maybe 4-5 tables), Food is pricey ($10+ per person), Few choices (only 2 available per day)

Very cozy! - Edit

This small and homely eatery is very cozy and you feel warmly welcome as soon as you are entering! The staff is extraordinary friendly. You could sit there for hours without recognizing the time runs by.
They offer two different dishes each day i think. Also a green smoothie and a variety of beverage and teas. The meals are nothing too special, but the atmosphere and the staff can compensate that. ;-)

Good food, but pricey - Edit

I enjoyed a fresh and tasty sandwich. I also took a couple of pieces of cake to go, which were also good, but the food was a bit more expensive than other places.

Pros: Good food, Good cakes

Cons: A little pricey for Seoul

Favorite - Edit

Favorite place in Seoul. One of the few places that I can go to and feel like I'm getting an awesome western, home cooked style vegan meal.
There's a weekly menu with usually 2-3 items. They are sandwiches, curries, or something similar, with a small side. Very filling and good portion sizes. Prices are 11-13kwon.
PLANT also has an awesome selection of vegan treats. My favorites are the carrot cake, thin mints, and scones. I also love the apple ginger tea and chai tea.
Highly recommend. Check out the owner's "alien's day out" blog for directions.

Pros: English speaking staff and menu, Baked goods, Amazing meals

Cons: It's not next door

Delicious and Good Portion Sizes - Edit

I have eaten here a few times over the years and always enjoy it, but today when I went, it was just so good I had to write a review! First, while waiting for my order, my friend and I browsed the baked goods, and they all looked so good that we bought one of everything! (Worth the money - decadant cakes and scrumptious cookies!) I ordered a ginger ade (so good!) and a cheese, pesto and caramelized onion sandwich with lentil soup, and it was just divine! This place knows what it's doing with taste! And it was so hearty and filling! Highly recommended!

The restaurant is tiny, though, and we had to share our table with strangers, which is okay for friendly folk :)
It was also very hot inside - there wasn't even a fan

Pros: Good Portion Size, Reasonable Price, Flavourful

Cons: Limited Seating, No Air Conditioner

Sugar overload...YES! - Edit

As it turns out, I'm not a huge fan of the food here.
However, I never miss out on making a pitstop if I'm in the Itaewon area...Why?

CUPCAKES

CAKES

SWEETS

Did I mention...CUPCAKES!?

Their baked goods are delicious. The staff is always friendly & their setup is welcoming and comfortable.

Great place but... - Edit

I was really excited this place opened and they have great dishes. My favorite are the tempeh sandwiches. However, the dishes are quite small for the price. I usually have to order two dishes in order to feel full. I'm a small girl too!! The side salad is super small!! I just wish that maybe they could have a bit more options on there menu like sides or something so that I don't have to purchase two meals...

Pros: Delicious food! , Usually healthy , Nice people

Cons: Can be limited for healthy eaters , Small portions , Not many seats

Epic - Edit

This place is actually the reason I started an account on here. I felt so strongly about shouting my praise of this little eatery that I created the account for the sole purpose.

It would be impossible to say enough about how thrilling it is to dine on delicious, innovative, and satisfying VEGAN fare in an otherwise bleak landscape for vegans. I lose sleep anticipating my next pilgrimage to the Plant Studio.

Pros: Everything Imaginable

Fantastic! - Edit

I absolutely loved the food. And those that worked here. I brought bags of it back to my hotel room. I'm not a vegan but I eat a lot of vegan food because I am shellfish allergic. Very casual, small and easy. Worth seeking out.

Pros: Delicious , Cozy, Great service

Wonderful Home-Cooked Vegan Meals and Desserts - Edit

This place is amazing! There are usually two meal choices from delicious international dishes like these-macaroni & 'cheese' Smoky tempeh, sauerkraut, vegan pepperjack cheeze, & thousand island dressing on rye bread, split-pea lentil soup w/ kale tahini salad, Indian-style Spinach Curry w/ brown rice & side salad, and veggie pot pie. Her vegan desserts are awesome as well. This cute, quaint cafe will not disappoint.
Updated from previous review on Thursday November 21, 2013

Pros: Homemade, Freshly prepared meals, Homemade Vegan Desserts, Friendly Staff

Yummy real vegetarian food - Edit

Awesome vegetarian cafe that is mostly vegan. Delicious, healthy, homemade meals different every week and the best cakes around.

Pros: Healthy and fresh, Unique recipes especially to Seoul, Cute, clean cafe

Cons:

Return to Seoul Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has PLANT closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 8536 times since Aug 2013.