PLANT

Contact 070-4115-8388

20 Itaewon-ro-16-gil, Yongsan-gu, Seoul, South Korea,

Vegan cafe and bakery with a changing menu of sandwiches, kale salad, wraps, and occasionally veggie burgers. Also offers baked cakes, cookies, brownies, coffee and chai. Open Mon-Sat 11:00am-8:00pm.

Category: Vegan, Western, Take-out, Bakery, Korean

First Review by ruth1

Amazing cozy place - Edit

I really like the plant. The only vegan place that I know of in Itaewon. I love the grain bowl and the vegan mayo.

Pros: Nice food, Great cakes, Nice staff

Cons: not so good muffins, Expensive

Love the place, not the people - Edit

I used to be a regular at Plant, because I loved the yummy veggie food and the cozy little cafe-type atmosphere. But I decided to stop going because the owner and some of the employees are so unpleasant. Despite the fact that I was coming there 2-3 times a week, the owner rarely smiled at me, always seemed depressed, and never attempted to be friendly toward me or exchange in small talk.

One of the employees also belittled me many times, by demanding that I order immediately, or that I think through my decisions next time before I make a to-go order, then end up eating there (because a seat happened to open up). She really needs to get a better attitude, because the food is great. It's just not worth dealing with someone like her.

Updated from previous review on 2017-01-10

Pros: Great Food, Cozy, Fast

Cons: Unpleasant Owner and staff, Small Venue/Crowded, Pricey

2 Responses

tulips326 29 Dec 2016 - I can understand your comments about the owner, but we all have our bad days. The current staff she has hired is also cold and not friendly. One of them gave me the stink eye the first time she ever saw me. In the past, a staff member acted like it was a big deal when I ordered a second entree. She isn't working there now. The sous chef is the friendly one.

tulips326 19 Feb 2017 - Also, lately they don't change their menu items enough. They keep serving the same few dishes all the time and there is never soup on Saturdays, a day that many people can only go on. Also, they didn't even bring back their three bean chili this winter. Since I went on a Saturday I got the TLT sandwich but no tomato soup...just a few chips. Geez.

Best Vegan Spot in Seoul - Edit

My BBQ Jackfruit Burger was absolutely delicious! It came with a small salad and potato chips, a very welcome addition. I also had a green smoothie that kept my taste buds busy as I took breaks from my entree.

I took a few Oreo brownies and some red velvet cake to go. Devoured the dessert when I got home.

The environment is cozy and welcoming. The staff was very helpful. Wifi is available.

Pros: Delicious Food, English-speaking Staff

awesome! - Edit

this restaurant reminds me of local grown farmers restaurants back home. nice atmosphere, nice music, friendly staff. I will most definitely return here anytime I am in Seoul.

Pros: cozy, delicious options, music

Cons: seating (small restaurant), but not necessarily a

here are my favs from plant! - Edit

keep in mind that im a college student, others may feel like "that was ur fav?? you can make the same thing at home for like half the price" well i dont have an oven or a blender, so they're very worth it for me :)

banana cream pie
tempeh blt sandwich & tomato soup
falafel burger
west african peanut soup
power green smoothie

banana cream pie is really really good. so good. so good. idk what to say other than that its rly good. its got me at a loss of words to say the least

the tempeh blt sandwich & tomato soup set was so flavorful! i esp loved soup. spicy, herby, and deep tomato taste in perfect consistency!

the falafel burger was beany and savory. i wish it was more crispy outside. the one i had was kind of mushy and felt more like condiment than patty, but it was still really yummy :D

west african peanut soup is like nutty curry! love the harmony of curry spice aroma with peanutty savoriness!!! served with yellow rice, probably yellow from the turmeric.

power green smoothie is great all year round but more so in the summer because it's basically a tall cup of ice cream. creamy, sweet, and fruity from the banana. so yummy!!

as with all things, plant too cannot be perfect :( there was one dish so far that was really meh.

kale pesto pasta was pretty bland. the sauce had no nuttiness or herby fragrance. all it provided for the dish was slight garlic-ness here and there, and an appetizingly green coating for the penne. the cheese was even blander than the sauce, it was a good consistency but had no taste whatsoever :(

Pros: banana cream pie, tempeh blt sandwich & TOMATO SOUP!! :D, falafel burger

Cons: kale pesto pasta

Small Place, Great Food - Edit

Its a really small cafe located in the bylanes of Iteawon. Couldn't find a place to sit so got a take out, but the food was amazing. I dont remember the name but was a salad with tofu, beans and some sauce. Also they make their own hummus which is quite good. Really recommended for vegeterians

Pros: Food is great

Cons: Very small place

I love Plant - Edit

Plant is a great little vegan place in Itaewon. There is a rotating menu of delicious items, and a great selection of desserts, such as cakes, cookies, and scones. My main complaints are that the place is small and seats 12 people. Sometimes, there will be people waiting for a table, and finished people are sitting there and not leaving. Once, a lady was not eating or drinking anything. She was just sitting there reading a book with others and myself waiting to be seated. Once, a couple sat at the big table playing cards while others were wanting to have a seat. The restaurant itself is cozy and intimate, which is really nice, until people come in and talk loudly, especially when hey are talking about people they know that they don't like and spouting f bombs. I'm sorry, but I really don't like hearing people swear when I am trying to enjoy a meal. It seems Plant has been attracting a crappy clientele these days. Like many other vegan cafes, Plant seems to only care about its weekday customers. They are open Monday through Saturday, but sometimes, those of us who show up on Saturday arrive to see stuff on the weekly menu sold out. It's just plain good business sense to care about everyone, weekday and weekend customers. Also, you get to compete to get food, especially the baked goods. If you don't get there right when they open at 11 or at least by 12, you not only won't get a seat, but the baked goods will be selling out. They are open until 8, but they do not replenish the dessert case. Many people can only visit on Saturdays, and don't want to get up early and rush to compete for food.

Pros: Delicious menu items and baked goods, Consistent with opening hours, Small, intimate and cozy

Cons: Baked goods disappear if you don't get there by 11, Owner doesn't seem to care about Saturday customer, Unfriendly staff. Sous chef is great though

tulips326 29 Dec 2016 - Also, portion sizes are too small sometimes, especially the side dishes...tad pricey.

A Reprieve for Vegetarians in Korea - Edit

We found plant through tripadvisor and I knew we had to check it out. My partner and I shared the fallafel burger (with chips and small salad) and the green smoothie. It was AWESOME! I wanted to try more options and definitely plan to return the next time I am in Seoul. It is a great location too so it makes it easy to grab a good bite to eat and then wander around Itaewon for beers and nightlife.

Pros: Delicious, Vibrant Flavors , Super-friendly staff

Cons: Small space , Limited options, Kind of hidden

Nice cozy place - Edit

Nice place but. limited options. They only have a few dishes a day, but the place is as small as a one bedroom apartment so it is understandable. Food is good. I don't normally like cakes, but I tried it and it was bearable.

Updated from previous review on 2016-04-30

Pros: 100% Vegan, Nice staff, Cozy

Cons: in a stinky alle, hard to move around

Good Food :) - Edit

Been to Plant a few times now and I have always been happy with my food. Absolutely love their cakes!!!

Pros: Fast healthy food , Great cake , Nice atmosphere

Cons: Small shop (you might have to wait for a seat)

Incredible - Edit

Loved the food and staff here! I got the Tempeh Rainbow Wrap and a slice of caramel apple crumble cake. Wonderful! I ate everything on my plate it was so good. They also wrapped up a second dessert for me to take home and enjoy tomorrow.

Pros: Delicious food and desserts, Friendly staff

Cons: Kind of hidden away down a street that smells like, Very limited seating - 12 people max

Love it! - Edit

I have been here twice now and I absolutely love it. Definitely would recommend to non vegans as well. The setting is really cute, will come back for sure!

Pros: Healthy wholesome , Nice setting

Cons: Might be a line during lunch rush

I want to marry this place - Edit

Took a non vegan friend here and he said it was the best thing he's eaten in Korea. I freaking loooooved it so much I came back the next day. EVERYTHING is good here. I had the curry the first day and then the burrito bowl the next AND a slice of gingerbread pumpkin cookies and cream cake which was DIVINE. Seriously the best cake I've ever eaten in my life.

Pros: delicious, fun place to meet other vegans , adorable atmosphere

Top notch - Edit

Very cute place with great vegan food. Love that it's whole plant based vegan and is reasonably priced. Kind staff and great food. Tempeh rainbow wraps were delish. Green smoothie was creamy and slightly sweet. The carrot cake was fluffy and so so yummy. Definitely recommend it!!

Pros: Decent prices, delicious food, kind staff

Cons: Not much

Return to Seoul Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has PLANT closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.