CLOSED: Plant Based Pizza

408-448-8881

1111-2 Meridian Ave, San Jose, California, USA, 95124

All-vegan pizzeria also serving paninis, burgers, hot dogs plus kid friendly food. REPORTED CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE, AUG 2016. Open Tue-Sat 11:00am-9:00pm, Sun 11:00am-8:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Pizza, Delivery, Take-out

First Review by macmantrl

May be closed for good - Edit

I love this place! However, today (8/26/16) I went by to get a pizza and the windows were covered with brown paper. A handwritten sign on the door said "We are closed until further notice". I hope they haven't closed their doors for good. I keep an eye on them!

Pros: Best pizza around , Love all the vegan snacks, Perfect for take-out

Cons: May be closed for good

Will not follow through on delivery; would give 1 star if I could - Edit

I've tried multiple times to order for delivery from them, and have failed each time. Once they claimed that they don't deliver to my address (even though they were happy to take the order).

I tried again a couple times through a delivery service (that I've used many times for other restaurants with excellent results); each time my order was taking way too long. When I talked to the service to see what's up, that service tried to contact Plant Based Pizza, Plant Based Pizza was not being communicative at all.

It seems like they really want people to *think* they deliver, but I've never gotten any follow through from them on it. This is just dishonest business.

Note that if you dare to leave a negative review for this business, you might be getting a call from them trying to blame someone else for what went wrong rather than trying to make it right for the customer. In my case, I got two calls in a harassing manner while we were trying to make other arrangements for our Friday night dinner.

Had the call been trying to fix it for me instead of blaming the delivery service (which didn't explain how this happened multiple times, and *only* for this restaurant) I would have reacted much differently, but sadly, this business owner doesn't have the humility to realize that customers are the lifeblood of any business, and that it's important to treat them accordingly.

Pros: Vegan

Cons: Rude, harassing owner, Won't follow through on delivery

Best pizza place ever! - Edit

If you want excellent service and great pizza this is the place to go.I was met with a smile the minute I walked through the door. The people were kind and brought the food quickly. The pizza was so good perfectly cooked and they had other options besides pizza that anyone would love. I am definitely going back for more!

Pros: Great food, Multiple options, Friendly service

Definitely try for yourself - Edit

I've tried Plant Based multiple times, but eventually stopped going. Plant Based has a large selection of vegan food, as well as special, pre-packaged vegan treats in house (e.g. cookies, vegan egg, etc.). I have tried their sandwiches, salads, bread sticks, and many pizzas; however, the quality has never met my expectations and, therefore, the price is too high for me. I make better pizzas at home for half the cost with store bought dough and toppings.

Pros: All vegan, Friendly staff, Many food options

Cons: Low quality food

a great find ( thanks to Happy Cow ) - Edit

This was a really cool find. The food is great. All freshly made. Quick and friendly service.

Pros: plant based, good selection, good quality

INCREDIBLE!! - Edit

Great atmosphere, friendly staff, awesome location, it's uniquely fitting. Inexpensive and for good cause. I enjoyed my visit very much! Excellent job guys and gals!! I will surely visit in the future when I am in the area. :D

Pros: Comfortable atmosphere, Inexpensive , Friendly staff

A great place to quench a pizza craving - Edit

After reading the reviews, we decided to give this place a shot while on our one-night visit to Silly-Con Valley. And we are so glad we did! Both the Hawaiian and Mediterranean 10" pizzas were excellent. Be sure to snag a free take-out box, because we had lots of leftovers. Good crust, nice 'ham,' and the Mediterranean was really rich. Gotta go back.

Pros: Good value, Friendly vegan staff

Cons: Small shared parking lot, Only 4 tables - could fill quickly

The Perfect Meal For Movie Night... Whether It's Dine-in or To Go. - Edit

We love Plant Based Pizza and we love Will, the owner. He's an incredibly cool guy. He knows how to extend his creative hand to the backside of the kitchen and create the coolest looking bathroom in a pizza place we've ever seen.
Sometime the staff just lift the counter top and lead you through the kitchen. Otherwise you walk around the outside of the building and through the backdoor to use the bathroom. If someone is using the washroom, you have a few minutes to check out the behind-the-scenes kitchen and storage area. Everything is very clean and you can see the playfully colored skateboard holder and other eye-catching attractive artistry while you are back there.
There are amazing wall sculptures in the bathroom and even the toilet paper holder is awesome. Everything you see back there makes you feel genuinely happy to eat the food they make for you here. It's no wonder the staff are so happy in their jobs.
I feel very comfortable with their food preparation practices. That's probably the first time (and only time so far) that I've felt this satisfied in viewing the kitchen of a pizza place in my life. The best thing about this is that they don't try to hide or cover up any of the kitchen or food prep. They KNOW they're doing everything to code, so why should they worry? And accordingly, why should you worry?
The pizza is well prepared and totally delicious. We've tried every one of them and they are all top notch pizzas. Our favorite is between the Hawaiian Pizza and the Pepperoni or Mediterranean Pizzas. We usually order the Gluten-free crust, but not always. My least favorite is the Indian Style Pizza which surprises me because I love tumeric, curry and Indian food in general.
I have had the Vegan dogs in a blanket and I love the way they swirl the crust around the dog. Something about that is so fun when you eat it. I don't know why they list the Calzone under Appetizers, but that's where you'll find it and it is huge. The first time we ordered a Calzone to share. And by the time the pizza came out, we were so full we had to box the pizza and take it with us. We couldn't even sample the pizza, we were that full from the Calzone.
I'm not big on sandwiches, but my husband loves them and also the burgers. I know they're good because every time he eats them, it's in complete silence. He is completely consumed in the eating process. He doesn't utter a word, he just eats in silence until he's finished the last bite... then he let's out a big sigh of contentment and gets his happy look all over his face (and body too!).
No matter what you eat here at Plant Based Pizza, I'd say you're eating smart and healthier in the body. It's good food preparation practices is the best food for my mind also. I've found the larger potions at Plant Based Pizza makes it a good buy for health-minded pizza and junk food consumers like myself.
So, if you're in the market to indulge in a pizza moment or need a quick "Corn Dog" and Burger movie night meal with the family, this is a much better choice than the traditional convenience food fare. So, happy eating!

BEST PIZZA EVER - Edit

Awesome full-vegan menu. Best "meat lovers" pizza I've ever had. Yummy pesto and the garlic jenga sticks are ridiculously good.

Pros: yummy pizza, lots of options, fully vegan

Cons: service can be a little slow

Oh Em Gee! - Edit

This place is bombtastic! They sure know how to make good pizza! I love all the decor as well so eco friendly!

Vegan Hawaiian Pizza Cooked The Right Way - Edit

Plant Based Pizza knows how to make vegan Hawaiian pizza and it stayed fresh until I made it to the motel room in Ukiah, CA. The blackberry smoothie was sweet but not super sweet. They had the best vegan sausage I’ve ever had and the garlic bread is called Jenga garlic sticks, which puts a smile on my face.

Yummy!!! - Edit

I was happy to find a GF vegan pizza place near my hotel and happier to know they didn't disappoint!! Service was ok. No alcoholic beverages though (food would have been great with wine). Place is cute.

Get your pizza fix - Edit

Needed a place to fill up before hitting the road back home, this place did the trick! The garlic sticks were the best! So many gourmet pizza options to chose from. (They also have salads, sandwiches, burgers.) Their crust is incredible!! Yum!

Pros: All vegan menu, Multiple options , Good for families

Cons: Small location

All-vegan pizza joint! - Edit

I have to start off and say I am friends with the owner, Will, so I am biased. He is a really great guy if you want to say hi! :)
I was skeptical of this place at first because I don't love the processed meats and cheese. They do have some creative pizzas though like the Masala (Indian) pizza, lots of spices and flavors. I really like their garlic sticks too. I think this is a good place for transitioning vegans as it does provide a lot of traditional pizzas, pepperoni, meat lovers, etc. I do like going here to support the local business and should probably try something other than pizza sometime.

Pros: all-vegan, great staff, lots of pizza options

Cons: process meats, cheese

Mediocre pizza, but glad it's all vegan - Edit

I've given this place about 5 tries before writing a review, but I must confess, I'm not sure what all the hype is about. Yes, it's great to have an all-vegan pizza spot in the South Bay, but the pizza is definitely not delicious. The sauce just tastes like tomato paste straight from the can. To their credit, the crust (especially the gluten free version) is pretty good. I've tried the Hawaiian pizza, but did not like the "ham" on there at all. I've also tried the hot dogs, which were unlike any I've ever bought in the store - odd flavor and texture. On a few other occasions, I've built my own pizzas, but the sauce is just so terribly off-putting and the ingredients don't always seem very fresh. I hate to say it, but I've gone back to the two local chains that do vegan pizzas just because the sauce at Plant Based is so unpalatable. I really would prefer to support vegan businesses (and not have to worry about cross-contamination at the other pizza spots in town), but they really need to work on their sauce. I also have concerns about hygiene at this place. Last time I went in with a friend to pick up our order, and the owner came up to the register, took our money, ran his hands through his hair, and then walked back and resumed working with food without washing his hands first. We both kind of looked at each other and cringed, and haven't been back since.

Pros: good crust, all vegan

Cons: terrible sauce, questionable hygiene practices

A good find - Edit

All-vegan pizza place? We're there!

We tried a couple of pies, both of which we liked.

We just wish they would develop their own homemade "cheese" (e.g. a cashew-based one) rather than using the processed commercial stuff.

Enjoy!

Wow!!!! - Edit

This pizza is so amazing! I've had it at least 3 times now and if I lived closer, I would go all the time. Everything about it is perfect, and the inside of the place is very nice, although small. Even if I wasn't vegan, I would indulge in this plant based deliciousness as often as possible.
Updated from previous review on Thursday December 26, 2013

Pros: Yummy, Tasty, Delicious

Not Bad - Edit

Cute little place with a simple menu. Sorry if like a Dominoes for vegans. They have hot dogs but no hot wings. Owner and staff are pretty nice. Good location too. Loved meat lover....title cracks me up.

Return to San Jose Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Plant Based Pizza closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.