First Review by studioahimsa

Apart from strange tasting lassi OK - Edit

First of all there are many delicious sounding meal options. Many are with dairy, but many of those on the other hand can be made vegan by request.
I had the soup of the day, which was cauliflower soup, a Planet Veg wrap and a vegan (optional) mango lassi.
The service was very friendly and accommodating; took a few minutes until food was ready, but that was absolutely OK.
The soup was well-flavoured, especially peppered, what I liked. The veggies in it however weren't rich in flavour. The wrap was decent, a bit too sweet for my liking, but others may see that differently. It could have been a little bit bigger in my opinion though. Yet the bitter disappointment was the mango lassi. As I said, they made it vegan, so I don't know how the "real" one tastes like; I wouldn't call it gross (since I managed to drink it), undoubtedly it was a let-down though. Not only didn't it tasted like a mango lassi at all, it also had a distinct plastic-like flavour in it. No idea what that was precisely, I only know for sure it was there.
My overall experience: Neither bad nor markedly good and one quite disappointing experience.
Go if you are close to by accident, but don't there extra to visit Planet Veg.

Pros: notable range, friendly and attentive

Cons: disconcerting lassi, portions could be bigger

Tasty samosas! - Edit

To be fair, I've only ever had their samosas and soup, both of which were great. I'd particularly recommend the tofu/spinach samosa and the curried potato samosa. They bake them instead of frying them which makes them a lot less fatty. The soups were warming and tasty and I think most of their ingredients lists are pretty simple (great if you have intolerances). They can make the samosa gluten-free. I go back pretty much every time I go to the Museum of Vancouver, Maritime Museum or Space Centre as it's so close. Recommended!

Pros: Relatively inexpensive, Gluten-free options on some items

Cons: Not always open - check hours first

Okay, not great - Edit

Went in for lunch. Ordered a samosa and roti. Both were okay, not great. The price included literally just a roti and samosa. No side salad, no dip, or anything like that. For me that made it kind of over priced. The seating was very plain and the girl behind the counter seemed to not really understand English.

Pros: Mostly vegan, Not too far from Downtown

Cons: Overpriced, Average food, Poor service

Good snack - Edit

I only went there for a quick snack and ordered samosas and a smoothie. All of this was delicious. I also bought a banana GF muffin which was amazing!

Pros: Good food, friendly staff, Cheap

Friendly people - Edit

So I will admit the people there are very friendly, and the location could not be more convenient. But the food is not that amazing.
When the menu said rotis, I expected an Indian roti. But instead I got a wrap straight from a packet. I was supposed to get eggplant in my wrap but it was all chickpea. That's fine. The food was ok, and I don't mind fast food occasionally but it lacked flavours. The hummus is straight from Costco in a big tub. That's a shame. I want to go back and try something different, but the selection we got so far did not wow me.

Veg*n Fast Food - Edit

Planet Veg is vegetarian fast food with an Indian influence. Roti rolls, veggie burgers, rice pots, samosas, sandwiches, pitas...that kind of stuff. Delicious, fast, friendly. What more can you ask for from a fast food joint?

It's small with about 4 tables. Kits beach is just down the street.

Good sized gluten-free menu.

Loved Planet Veg - Edit

Anyone who would give this place a bad review is completely spoiled and wouldn't know a good deal when they saw it. Planet Veg is really vegan friendly, inexpensive and fast. Everyone was really nice. I really enjoyed the samosas and even ordered extras to take home for that evening.

I'm only in Vancouver for 8 days and plan on eating here even more.

Pros: tasty food, nice staff, many selections

Quick and Tasty! - Edit

Not the place if you are looking for a slow and comfortable meal, but ideal for grabbing something quick and tasty. I had a really interesting warm spicy sandwich (like bombay potato on toast!) and my partner had a veggie burger. Both were really yummy. Inexpensive and satisfying. Cafe style seating, and a good selection of things on the menu.

Pros: Fast, Tasty, Inexpensive

Cons: Small, Basic

Planet Veg - Edit

Great little place for lunch. I had pita sandwich. It was very good. My husband had spinach soup and potatoe sandwich. Soup was on the spicy side but good. Would go back again. Very vegan friendly.

Pros: great food, healthy cuisine, great value

Cons: closes early in winter, small

Not worth visiting again - Edit

It's really not worth visiting again. It cost $45 to feed four people a small lunch, and none of it was very exceptional. They put this weird sweet apple-yam sauce all over my veggie burger, and it was so awful I couldn't even finish it.

On the other hand, this is better than any of the other 100% vegetarian Indian places I have been to in Vancouver so far. Compared to some of the Indian places in Portland, though, this falls way below the standard of excellence.

Cons: Overpriced, Poor quality food, Not family friendly

great, inexpensive food! - Edit

This place is great! i love buying bombay rolls and taking them down to the beach (a few minutes walk away) to eat! deliciously spicy food for quite cheap!

Pros: price, filling, quality

Cons: location

Return to Vancouver Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Planet Veg closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4075 times since Aug 2007.