First Review by spud

Planet India is a firm favourite of ours!

Amazing food without the pretentious air most of brighton has. The menu is simple (and amusing) and vegan dishes are clearly labelled.

It's also nice and cheap!

Do book ahead though as it gets really busy.

Pros: Cheap, Quirky decoration , Great food

Cons: A little away from the centre of town

Nice unique place - very popular - Edit

This is a very unique little place. Food is really good - it is a gujarati style and so quite a few dishes I'd not seen before. There is a very nice atmosphere and I loved the barefootedness of the owner/waiter. I came here on a Wednesday evening and didn't pay heed to the recommendations to book ahead - that was a mistake as it was really busy - I was squeezed in as I was just on my own. Really helpful and pleasant people working there. My only gripe is that the food was far too hot (temperature wise) when it came out - it took a while for it to cool down. Once cool food was very nice nevertheless

Pros: Unique and bustling atmosphere, Some interesting (non-typical) dishes , Friendly and helpful

Cons: Food came out too hot in temperature

Delicious home cooked food - Edit

Fantastic food, felt homely and comforting. The atmosphere of the restaurant was cosy and relaxed. Service was excellent, friendly family run place :) food was quick to arrive and tasted great.

Pros: unique home-cooked indian, flexible combinations of dishes , inexpensive

Cons: none!

Excellent vegan indian dinner. - Edit

My partner and I had a briiliant vegan dinner and our 12 year old girl (who is not even a vegetarian) enjoyed it too. Inexpensive - little bit of a walk out of town but well worth it.

Not for everyone - Edit

I've only visited Planet India once but it is a lovely place to eat. Very relaxed - the waiter had no shoes on - and the food is great value for money. Independent beers on the menu, and loads of vegan options. Worth a visit with friends but don't go for anything romantic!

Pros: Great value for money

Cons: Can be a little too relaxed at times!

Fantastic samosas, over-salted main dishes - Edit

We'd been looking forward to trying Planet India for ages. The staff were welcoming, very laid-back but friendly and helpful.
We really loved the homemade samosas which had a good tasty filling and really crunchy pastry shell.
The menu shows clearly which dishes are vegan and it was nice to see some dishes that you don't generally find at any curry house - dahl with spinach was nice and we'd never eaten black chick peas before. Unfortunately we just found all the main dishes far too salty for our taste. I think it will be a while before we try it again.

Pros: samosas, clear vegan options, friendly, welcoming

Cons: very very salty, need more variety for vegans

Once you get past the pink sign, unusual decor and mish-mash of furniture this place serves the best Indian vegetarian food-ever.

The waiter was really friendly (and barefoot!) and the menu was clear with what's suitable for vegans. They also offer half portions of all the main dishes which is a great chance to try more! We had half portions of spicy black chickpeas, sweetcorn and patra, mombai potato curry and masoor dahl with cumin rice. The mombai potato curry and masoor dahl where the BEST EVER - so creamy (and Vegan!) will definitely go back there as soon as I can!

Pros: Excellent food, half portions, mombai potato curry and masoor dahl

Planet India is great - Edit

I have eaten a lot of curries all over (even in India) and this is one of the best places I have been. They are proper Indian dishes and taste great. They do microwave their food as they make it fresh during the day and then reheat it so that they can deal with the large numbers of people who come here (it's only a small place). This doesn't affect the taste of the curry as the misguided first reviewer said. It is also very cheap here. They also do takeaway if you ask.

I live in Brighton and me and all of my friends love this place. I sound like a PR man for this place but I am not, just a big fan.

Pros: tasty, cheap, friendly

Cons: get there early, it's v popular

3 Responses

currytastic! - Edit

Planet India is one of my favourite places to eat out. There are lots of vegan options which are clearly marked on their menu and every one i've tried i've enjoyed. I've been there with vegans, vegetarians and also meateaters and the place seems to satisfy everyone. The couple who run it are friendly and it's a really laidback, colourfully decorated environment which i find appealing. They serve a very good sized portion (i love that you can choose to have two half curries adding more variety to your meal) at a very good price, i've always left there with a very satisfied stomach! Writing about it now is giving me planet india curry cravings!

Pros: tasty food, great price, friendly

Return to Brighton Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Planet India closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4739 times since Aug 2009.