PJ's Lager House Detroit

Contact 313-961-4668

1254 Michigan Ave, Detroit, Michigan, USA,

Serves meat, vegan options available. Full bar and live music venue, located in the Corktown area of Detroit. Bar food menu, offers a vegan burrito, portabella mushroom and grilled peppers on onion roll, veggie burger made in-house, salads, nachos (with cheese). Open Mon-Fri 11:00am-12:00am, Sat 5:00pm-12:00am, Sun 6:00pm-12:00am.

Category: Lacto, American, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by tpashkot

Great Brunch - Edit

I had the vegan biscuits and gravy and it was fantastic, one of the best I've ever had. It's also served with a tofu scramble and roasted potatoes and vegetables. Highly recommended. Brunch is served Saturday and Sunday...Saturdays are slow and Sunday is packed. Can't wait to return.

Pros: Great food, Many vegan dishes on the menu, Great service

Cons: Bar atmosphere, kind of dark

Friendly bar, good food, great beers - Edit

Fantastic find. We tried going to St. CeCe's, but they were closing for a special event. Next, we went to a Salad restaurant, but there was no parking. So, this was our last ditch effort before we would have to leave Detroit and get to Toledo for a late dinner.

What a find! The bartender was friendly and knowledgeable about all of the beers on tap and in bottle. They had a good array of local brews.

Thinking we would just have thawed veggie burgers, we were thrilled to find they had a whole veg section to their menu including tempeh sandwiches. Now, this was bar sandwiches and not haute cuisine, but you are in a bar after all.

The sandwiches were excellent, large enough for dinner and showed that the chef really cares about flavor. In fact, we met the chef. And the owner, PJ.

He is building a bed and breakfast above the bar which looks to be lovely. We are going to try and stay on our next road trip west.

Please tell them that you saw a review in Happy Cow. PJ was very interested in giving his patrons what they want, although he is not veg in anyway. But, he is a FAB guy. In fact, this is a local hangout and everyone was friendly and willing to help you see all the great places in Detroit.

Other info - this is about 2.5 miles from the Detroit Art Institute. You can have a walk through a myriad of urban Detroit neighborhoods being able to see the community gardens put in when abandoned houses were removed and walk through the downtown area. Also, there is public transportation right outside of the bar and museum. If you drive, there is plenty of secure, free parking in the back. The bar/restaurant is within walking distance from most downtown hotels and next door to Brooklyn Local deli and the Detroit Institute of Bagels.

Pros: menu, Friendly Ambience, parking

Cons: Neighborhood

more bar than restaurant with good food - Edit

this is a bar; it looks like a classic American down to earth dive bar (which is a good thing) that has a decent selection of vegetarian food. I had the bhan mi with a Brooklyn lager; what a great meal, just thinking about it makes me want to get back in the car and drive to Detroit. Our table was perfectly serviced by the helpful bartender. The crowd was local (three dogs included). No live music when we were there but music seems to be an almost nightly thing. If you like to drink while you eat with locals then this is the place for you. I will be going back next time I pass through Detroit.

Pros: beer and food, price, atmosphere

Pretty good restaurant - Edit

I've been here two times in the morning for brunch and I love the Vegan Biscuits and Gravy. It's a great dish. Both times I went there, the bartender was the server (which makes sense since it was early in the day). The first time the serve was a little curt, but the second time the server was friendly.

Pros: Great food, Vegan options marked on menu

Cons: Service was a little slow

Great personal servive - Edit

Went to PJs with my girlfriend she had the Vegarito which is vegan and amazing. PJ himself just introduced himself and was very pleasant. I had the Burger and it was very good. Lots of live music every night of the week. They have amazing brunch on the weekends and we are going back for tomorrow. Two vegan breakfast options Tofu scramble and tofu breakfast burrito.

Pros: Vegan, vegetarian, Meat

Cons: none, none, none

Return to Detroit Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has PJ's Lager House Detroit closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2386 times since Feb 2011.