Pizza Research Institute

Contact 541-343-1307

325 Blair Blvd, Eugene, Oregon, USA, 97402

Pizzeria with bar. Offers artisan pizzas made with choice of toppings including fruit, vegan cheese, and gluten-free crust option. Pacific Northwest fusion cuisine salads and soups. Music some evenings. Moved from 530 Blair St. Wed-Sun 4:00pm-9:30pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, Pizza, Organic, Beer/Wine, Take-out

First Review by Veganpassion

Tofu Cheese Substituent needs help - Edit

First time, last time. We had the vegan pizza, the basic one and only added mushrooms. As several reviewers have stated,the smoky tofu flavor completely cancels out the marinara taste so the pizza was both tasteless and bitter. Like Sizzle Pie, they want to be able to have a unique alternative tofu cheese option for vegans, but I have yet to find a good tasting tofu cheese anywhere on pizza. It was so bad I almost asked if perhaps it was a bad batch of the tofu cheese. On the plus side, I love the thick layer of spinach on every pie, and adding mushrooms meant a ton of them, so they are very generous with toppings.

Pros: Cool vibe, Cool neighborhood, Generous amount of toppings

Cons: Tofu substituent cheese is smoky and bitter, A/C not working well on a hot day

awesome pizza - Edit

wow. number six was amazing. garlic, smoked tofu, olives, spinach, and great cashew cheese sauce. backyard patio was great and service was excellent. loved the wrapping leftovers like a cobra. another table got a duck. my friends described it as the best vegan pizza they have ever had. definitely in the top three and I travel a lot.

Pros: vegan options!!!

Cons: parking

My Favorite Pizza Place in the WORLD!!! - Edit

Yes, the world!!! And I have traveled near and far.... I went here at least 13 years ago when it was a teeny little place where you could eat in the elevator shaft. I loved the environment back then. I also LOVED the 3 P pizza (pear pesto and potato) and the chef's vegan special. So much that I brought a whole pizza home on a plane back to SF. 13 years later, it didn't disappoint. Phenomenal. I can't say enough good things!! I would love to Eugene for this place!

phenomenal pizza - Edit

Loved loved loved this place! We are a family of four. They have a huge selection of really unique and delicious pizzas as well as basic ones if you prefer. We had a pizza with smoked tofu, roasted garlic and black olives. Delicious!!!
Great atmosphere.

Pros: excellent taste, nice variety, unique

Tasty and awesome. - Edit

I love this place, even if the kinda spacey staff short change me almost every other time I'm there. Their inventive, delicious pizza combinations are awesome.

Note: it's been a couple years since I've been there, so things may have changed.

Pros: Tasty, Tasty

Love this place! - Edit

Pizza Research is one of our favorites. Sometimes a vegan just needs a good pizza, and this is the place. Salads, too, are delicious, all inventive and interesting. Guaranteed, you've never eaten a pizza like this anywhere else.

Woah! - Edit

Delicious, very substantial pizza. The thick crust made it so my big eating husband only ate 2 slices! We had leftovers for 2 days! I spied a pizza on the table next to us that looked interesting, I think it was on gluten-free crust and I definitely want to try that one next time I'm in town.

Pros: good pizza, good value, vegan-friendly

Cons: all the way in Eugene! :)

Meh - Edit

I like the atmosphere, but our two visits included poor service and pizza that was too spicy for me or the kids. Why do folks assume that vegan food has to be spicy to be tasty?
It's great to have interesting toppings on homemade style pizza, but this place did not deliver. I grew up in NY and I expect pizza to be simple at its best. This pizza was like a hippie experiment after too much hallucinogens.
Perhaps we will try it again, but it's been a swing and a miss twice in a row. There's better vegan pizza elsewhere in town for half the wait, so it may be a while until we're back.

Pros: atmosphere , homemade style

Cons: too spicy, not kid friendly food , poor service

This Ain't No Pie in the Sky - Edit

This place is for REAL. In my opinion, this is hands-down the most consistent restaurant in Eugene--consistently amazing!

We have been enjoying this pie regularly ever since it opened up shop at 13th and Lawrence in its tiny location so many years ago. Now it is in its 3rd location and it never ceases to please.

It is a family-run operation, super friendly and quality people to boot. You can't go wrong with the P3 salad, vegan chef's choice pie or the spicy tofu pizza. The gluten free crust is really good and made in-house as is their vegan cheese sauce. Outstanding!

We have a vegan b and b in town, and we regularly send guests here because we know it will be a crowd-pleaser every time, regardless of whether folks are vegan, veg or omni. Makes our job as concierge a snap!
Updated from previous review on Wednesday December 11, 2013

Pros: gluten free crust

Cons: would like more organic options

More Please - Edit

My husband and I ate here when we were visiting Eugene. It's rare to find a vegan pizza that isn't saturated with Daiya (don't care for the stuff). Pizza Research Institute makes an awesome vegan pizza with no Daiya in sight!
We ordered the P3 salad , some fries, and the Chef's special vegan pizza which is basically a pizza with tomato sauce, a garlic sauce, and a boatload of veggies and fruit. I thought it sounded weird when we ordered it, but it was SO YUMMY!
The service was nice and friendly and we enjoyed our meal very much. The only thing we didn't care for was the french fries. They were pretty greasy. I realize that this is pretty standard for fries, but these seemed a little greasier than usual; but that might just be a personal preference thing.
I also enjoyed a great local beer and I saw them making some cocktails for other customers which also looked really good. I definitely recommend this place if you are looking for a delicious vegan pizza.

Pros: Great pizza, good service

Simply cannot miss - Edit

This restaurant is phenomenal. That is about all you need to know.

I managed to sample a great deal of their pizza menu. Nothing, absolutely nothing disappoints. Apples, pears, full broccoli trees - anything goes at this place and it all winds up tasting transcendent. On top of it all, their hot spinach salad - an appetizer - was spectcular.

You have not lived until having tried this pizza. Enjoy. Rejoice.

*Edit after return visit to restaurant's new location:

Having eaten here a second time I wanted to come back and add that this remains an absolute favorite for pizza. Accompanied by someone who lived in Italy for some time, they were quick to remark at how astonishingly tasty and inventive Pizza Research Institute is!

Updated from previous review on Friday June 04, 2010

Pros: The food!, Lovely, artistic ambience, Vegan friendliness

This place rocks! - Edit

This is our favorite "pizza joint" in Eugene and will surprise anyone who enters expecting a typical pizza place. The toppings are unique and varied, from asparagus to cauliflower to potatoes to spicy tofu. A favorite is the P3 pizza with Potatoes, Pesto, and Pears -- Yum! You might not expect it, but it's actually delicious! The servings are substantial with enough for leftovers for lunch the next day. Highly recommended. This restaurant is in an old converted garage that gives it a unique industrial ambiance with an old storage container serving as the kitchen. There's always great beer on tap and musical entertainment on some nights.

Pros: Unique toppings

Slice of ??? - Edit

The staff was extremely good. I did have to get up to get more napkins and saw nutritional yeast in a jar so I grabbed some as well but overall the service was great.

I was a bit overwhelmed with the menu and so I just ordered the special. The special was cranberries, spicy tofu, cauliflower, and some other toppings. The cauliflower was curried and the "spicy" tofu was just like BBQ so Curry and BBQ with a variety of other toppings was not all that good. The taste of the toppings were great once I separated them. The amount of toppings was impressive! But there was so many that it took away from the pizza. I don't like the vegan option for substituting cheese. I see the "research" and creativity of it but the creamy sauce takes away from the marinara and clashes with some of the tastes and the texture becomes way to runny. It's hard to hold the pizza together.

I did also have a house salad and a dark beer with the pizza. The total for a medium pizza which I must say was at least as big as Pizza Huts large pizza, a stout microbrew, and an amazing salad with tip was $35.00. I big more then I wanted to spend but what the hell. And my son and I had enough left overs he got 2 more meals from it!

Overall, I would eat there again but I plan on getting a much simpler pizza and will most likely get a small if I'm sharing with just 1 other person. However, for the price I would much rather grab a pack of Dayia Cheese and some toppings at the supermarket for $10.00 and maybe a six pack of local microbrew and have a huge homemade pizza.

Pros: Atmosphere, Service, Variety

Cons: Too Creative, Value-Preception, Location was hard to find

So far, so good.. - Edit

I've tried PRI's vegan pizza a couple times and I loved it. I've always gotten my pizza to go, so I can't speak on the actual restaurant, but my experience with the actual pizza both times has been good. It does take a very long time for them to get food ready( I think last time I was in town it took an hour after we called in our order) but I've found it to be worth the wait. Hope to eat PRI again soon.

Pros: Tasty

Cons: Slow

Oh my I sound like a broken record now. - Edit

Again, SPICE & SALT your food! Veg./Vegan food does NOT have to be TASTELESS!

This place is way way way overhyped and underwhelming. Not to mention the prices are off the charts, you can easily spend 25$ here and not get much. The vegan cheese is the worst in town other than cozmic pizza, and the regular cheese isn't much better. Has anyone heard of nicely sea salted-fresh mozzarella? It's not hard to make and would be oh so tasty on their oh-so-original concoctions. Perhaps some nice tasty cottage grove goat cheese? Too much to ask? If you dine here it is I guess.

Pros: Originality

Cons: Price, Snooty Service, Taste

4 Responses

kindlizard You know your pizza and yet pegasus, where you can't even walk by without smelling like a meat house, is better? It has meat smoking as its roots. That's the kind of veggie you are, the one who likes his stuff to taste like meat. go figure. Mark, hideaway serves vegan pie? thought not. Don't let this man's anger shy you away from this place! THEY SPICE THE DOUGH!!! No one else does that, they have a ton of flavor, even if this guy eats too much meat, msg and whatever else to notice real flavor. this guy is a fake vegan. spam elsewhere

MarkUser It is not just the salt, it is the lack of spice as well. You can't fix TASTELESS cheese by putting some regular salt on it. Why don't you use sea salt? The egyptians used table salt for embalming, and that's all its good for. I have been here 3 times and ordered 3 different things. I try places out thoroughly before I give them a review. A ton of people agree with me on this place including a lot of meat eaters I know who shovel any ole junk cheese or pizza in their mouth and call it good. BLAND BLAND BLAND. And I only use caps when I mean it.

Slowest Restaurant in Eugene - Edit

The food here is fantastic! Where else can you get a gluten-free vegan pizza? The gluten-free mochi crust is one of the best I've had. The atmosphere is fun and funky. It is a GREAT place to go out, if you are not in a hurry. You can expect it to take 1-1 1/2 hours to get your pizza, especially on weekends. But they have a great beer selection and the miso soup is divine. If you're happy to hang out, chat and drink for a long time, it is worth it. The service is so-so, but again, the pizza is worth it.

Pros: Excellent Food, Atmosphere

Cons: Slow, Slow, Pricey

Updated - Edit

PRI is the best place to eat in Eugene hands down. The pies are so creative. Although they serve predominantly pizza, I don't consider it a "pizza place". It is a place where inspired food is created artfully. I cannot suggest you try this place enough.

Pros: everything!

Cons: nothing

Not Closed - Moved! - Edit

Just incase people didn't read the response to the below posting (restaurant closed), i wanted to make sure you didn't miss out on this fabulous place. the current address (around 5th and Blair) is correct.

Get the chef's special - 13 ingredients (at least 1 is usually fruit) arranged as a mandala and a great deal. large size has gotta be 6+ pounds.

if you are vegan, their soy cheese is smoked. (not really my thing, so i enjoy their pizzas cheese-free.)

4 Responses

The Best Vegan Pizza, Ever. - Edit

Nice people, mostly organic, always a unique pizza, and the best vegan pizza ever. We spent years in Eugene for grad school and hated to leave PRI behind. We have been back twice since moving across the country, since you can not find anything like it. The Vegan Chef's choice is different everytime, but always great. Where else will you find pizza with corn on the cob, pesto stuffed mushroom caps, roasted potatoes and apples on a pizza? I wish I could pack PRI up and take them with us where ever we land. Very filling, but difficult to stop eating, as it is so very tasty. Due to the pizza's size, it takes awhile to cook, plan to go with friend's and chat while waiting.

Pros: Amazing food, mostly organic , friendly

Maybe the best pizza I ever had - Edit

We were driving back to Seattle from the Shakespeare Festival in Ashland, and it was getting late, and we were desperate to find veggie-friendly food. A call to someone at a computer turned up the Pizza Research Institute. The pizza is excellent. Great specials, great toppings choices, and the sauce is flavorful; tangy and spicy and full-bodied. Only downside: they are only open for dinner. On a later driving trip from Seattle to Los Angeles, we made a special stop in Eugene to take the kids to PRI, but they are not open during lunch hours! Now living on the east coast, I still dream about PRI pizza....

No more research is required - Edit

This place was quite the find although it was more of a takeout place with very limited seating. I had the vegan pizza and my wife had the vegetarian. They put very unusual toppings on the pizza and the taste was amazing. We should only have ordered a slice instead of a whole pizza but it still tasted great (cold) for lunch the next day as we continued on our vacation. We spoke to one of their regular customers and they never seemed to tire of the pizza. I wish we had the PRI in our city.

Pros: great taste, unique toppings

Cons: limited seating

Awesome pizza, but less than stellar ambiance - Edit

The food exceeded our expectations. Not only was it tasty and surprisingly filling, the pizza itself looked like a work of art. The unusual combination of flavors (including fruit)was a welcome change to the usual status quo pizza pie. The only disappointing aspect was the too-loud reggae music and cramped quarters. Overall, thumbs up.

Pros: Tasty, Inventive, Vegan friendly

Cons: Noisy, Cramped space

Great Vegan "Pizza" - Edit

I had the vegan "P3" specialty pie slice listed on the wall board. It was absolutely fantastic. It's hard to describe but it was a slice piled high with roasted herbed potatoes, pesto with some kind of yummy nut and tofu mixture, and pear slices, yes, pear slices. I wasn't sure I would like it before ordering but I like to try new things and I'm glad I did. I also tried the regular vegan slice (tofu ricotta with spinach) and it was yummy too. The slices were made individually. They said that they can make any of the slices vegan. Nice! My girlfriend had a lacto 4-cheese slice and said it was great as well.

Pros: Vegan friendly, the P3 slice!

Cons: loud music

Incredible! - Edit

Great pizza, fun atmosphere, friendly people! Hands down, the best peanut butter cookies in the world....(but nobody can prove I know that). Great vegetarian/vegan options, cooked fresh w/mostly (if not all) organic ingredients!

Love the pizza box art also! Can't think of a negative other than not delivering to our house because we can be lazy! ha ha

Pros: Excellent food, Great variety, Cookies rule!

Cons: No parking, but need the walk., Not open 24 hrs.

Best pizza in the world! - Edit

We are from Chicago and have had thousands of pies and NONE tops this, vegan or not! We are former vegetarians who are now vegan and we LOVE this pizza. They have this tasty vegan cheese option which is homemade and very flavorful. Mix this with tasty artichokes, olives, spinach, yummmmm. The service is appropriate for a food this wonderful--a little bit slow. Want fast service? Go to McDonalds.

Pros: Best pizza in the world, Tasty vegan options, Good beverage selection

Forget Everything You Thought You Knew About Pizza - Edit

Where else can you go to an all-vegetarian pizza place and have your tastebuds tickled in ways you never before imagined? Pizza Research Institute delivers a fusion of flavors in the form of a pizza pie, with generously piled-on toppings in combinations that are quite simply...tantalizing. We always opt for the vegan "Chef's Choice" and are never disappointed. The creamy "cheese" topping, which doesn't pretend to emulate mozzarella cheese, is rich and sensuously delicious. All of this tastiness doesn't come without a price...it's a funky little place that is often crowded, especially on weekends, but the wait and boistrous atmosphere only add to the charm. The staff are always exceedingly friendly and courteous, even when swamped with patrons.

Pros: fabulous food, consistently delicious, friendly, courteous staff

Cons: small, busy atmosphere

Return to Eugene Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Pizza Research Institute closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5789 times since Aug 2007.