Pita Pit

724-463-7482

740 Philadelphia St, Indiana, Pennsylvania, USA, 15701

Serves meat, vegan options available. Fast food franchise offering pita pocket sandwiches. Build-your-own with fillings like fresh veggies, hummus, a black bean burger, and falafel. Open Mon-Wed 10:30am-10:00pm, Thu-Sat 10:30am-3:00am, Sun 10:30am-10:00pm.

Category: Lacto, American, Fast food, Take-out, Middle Eastern, Non-veg

First Review by BambiLee1024

Ok option - Edit

I decided to check out Pita Pit's website after I saw on Yummy For Every Tummy's website that they are located next to each other. Their website said that they offered vegan options, so I decided to try it next time I was visiting YFET. I told the cashier that I had seen they offer vegan options, and he said, "Oh, yes, absolutely" and told me about the different options (they really aren't marked as vegan otherwise, although there was a chalkboard sign that had Vegan written on it and mentioned the Falafel). He also handed me a (handwritten) list of vegan-friendly sauces to put on my pita, and said that he had other lists available, too (I didn't look at those). I ordered the Spicy Black Bean Pita. I was too absorbed in looking at all the filling options to notice in time that they cooked the black bean on the same grill as they cooked the meat. As they had already stuffed it into my pita, I just ate it... bleh! It was good, despite the gross factor, but I should have asked them if they are able to cook it separately. I should have also asked how they prepare the Falafel. Since there are no other vegan friendly restaurants listed in Indiana, PA, I might recommend it. If anyone, including myself, gives it a try and finds out about the black bean issue and the falafel preparation, that would make this a better option. If I go again, I will definitely find out and write another review.

EDIT:
I visited again. This time I told the cashier that I was put off that they cooked my food on the same grill. He assured me that they clean the grill before cooking the veggie stuff, and that they use different utensils. However, all I recall them doing is scraping it with something, and I'm not sure that's sufficient enough. I also asked about the falafel, and he said that they're cooked on the same grill, too. So I just got the hummus wrap, which was very good (they have regular flavored and roasted red pepper).
Updated from previous review on Monday October 27, 2014

Pros: Many filling options, Many sauce options

Cons: Black Bean cooked on same grill as meat

Return to Indiana Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Pita Pit closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.