Pita Jungle

Contact 480-804-0234

4 E University Dr, Tempe, Arizona, USA, 85281

Serves meat, vegan options available. Part of chain restaurant in the Southwest, offering Middle Eastern and Mediterranean food. Has vegan suitable items, including a few appetizers, sides, and salads; the falafel pita, veggie wrap, and macro plate. See website chart which notes which items are vegan. Casual sit-down dining. Relocated from 1250 E Apache Blvd.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Mediterranean, Beer/Wine, Middle Eastern, Non-veg

First Review by PH0ENIX

Pita Jungle - Edit

Very good falafel Salad. They often have delicious vegan soups and chili. And a choice of great wines. It's a great atmosphere, especially the ones in Tempe and Mesa, Arizona. There are a few in AZ. And they will go out of their way to inform you of ingredients or modify. It is a relaxing "family/semi-hippie" place where a mixed family (Vegan/vegetarian/non-veggies) can all enjoy together.

Pros: Many Vegan options, Many Vegetarian options, Wine

Cons: Havent found one outside of Arizona, Gets crowded during lunch/dinner hours

Vegan Options Extremely Limited - Edit

After going over their menu ahead of time, as far as vegan goes, they have a flavorless sounding combo plate (rice, beans & steamed veggies(make at home food)), you can get a side of lentils and rice(bland version of what I make at home). I got the falafel platter appetizer for my main and it was good but not worth coming back to eat every time... I used to go here before I went vegan and it was pretty good but poor vegan options. I hope people can get over misconceptions that vegans don't like flavor and eat dust size portions lol.

It's OK - Edit

I ate at this Pita Jungle for lunch last Friday and I left feeling very underwhelmed. I ordered the garden veggie wrap and when I bit into it I found that the rice was very undercooked and the wrap in general didn't taste great. I expressed my concern to the waitress and asked for something else, the falafel wrap. I really didn't want a falafel wrap but figured this was the safest way to go - it was good, but nothing special. I think this is a good option if you're dining with non-veg friends, but the food isn't life changing.

Pita Jungle - Edit

I think its OK, but not the best. But I have to say the hummus was AMAZING!! Sadly, my main course(meal) was not good- huge portion, couldn't bite into it for a while because it was so hot, and it was kinda bland tasting. BTW i had the garden veggie wrap.

Pros: Pretty good music, Fast food cooking and delivery, Great hummus

Cons: Crowded and packed, Not the best sevice

Veg-friendly, vegan-friendly but NOT vegetarian - Edit

We had Southwestern Tofu Scramble this morning at the Tempe location. It was quite tasty. Portion size was more than adequate. ( Actually, it was more than I could eat.) There are many vegan and vegetarian choices. However, fish, chicken, beef and turkey are on the menu. Service is friendly and efficient. Coffee is flavorful and refilled endlessly.

Pros: vegan choices, good-sized portions, friendly efficient service

Cons: fish, chicken, turkey, beef

Inconsistent portions & ingredients! Bad service! - Edit

Depending on the location and the mood of the cook at the time, your portions will be either large or small and may or may not include different ingredients!

One day the gazpacho has raisins in it and the next there's no raisins but tons of celery! Whoever heard of celery in gazpacho?

Then there's the day I found a piece of broiled meat in my garlic potatoes.

And then there was at least twice when the portion was so small that they apologized and adjusted it.

And the service is horrible: The waitrons are usually self-absorbed, forgetful, and inattentive.

I would avoid them like the plague except occasionally my friends go there.

Cons: Inconsistent portions, Lousy service, Sucky music

Nice Atmosphere - Edit

Decent service, nice atmosphere. I wasn't impressed with the Mediterranean platter, but then this wasn't a Middle Eastern restaurant. I'd definitely return to try other menu options.

Pros: large portions, nice place, prompt service

Cons: pricy, mediocre food

Great - Edit

I prefer this location to the Arcadia one. There are plenty of tables (especially now that they've expanded), and the menu has plenty of options. My favorite is the 1000 bean pita (I get mine without the pita), the beans, brown rice, and herbs make it a healthy and delicious meal. I tried the same dish at the Arcadia location, and it wasn't as good (also smaller portions).

Pros: Value, Good food, Nice environment

Return to Tempe Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Pita Jungle closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1743 times since Aug 2007.