Pita Bonita

Serves meat, vegan options available. Middle Eastern food including house-made pita bread, hummus, falafel, and Yemen hot sauce. In Punta Uva, on the Main road from Puerto Viejo to Manzanillo. Mon-Sat 1:00pm-9:00pm

Category: Mediterranean, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Middle Eastern, Non-veg

First Review by cantorveg

Fabulous falafels, salad, and soft, fresh pita! These folks have it going on! Nice, quiet location. Pretty set up. Excellent owners. Best food in P.V.! We ate here 2x because we could not get enough of their excellent, crispy falafels, the best I ever had!The cucumber, tomato, onion, parsley salad was heavenly! To top it off, we enjoyed chatting with the owners, and watching the full moon light up the night sky. Very romantic! EAT HERE!!!!

Pros: Food, Owners, Privacy

Awesome Falafel - Edit

The biggest surprise of my trip to Costa Rica so far was coming upon Pita Bonita. (the howler monkeys across the street from Pita Bonita were the second biggest surprise.) We were on a casual bike ride to nowhere and came upon Pita Bonita. I wasn't particularly hungry but I had to stop and get a falafel fix (much needed after the endless rice and beans). I wasn't expecting a great falafel but boy, did I get one! This was a surprise considering that I was literally in the middle of the jungle in a remote area of Costa Rica. Homemade fresh-baked pita bread, fresh ingredients and a very good falafel recipe made this one of the best falafels I have ever eaten, in fact, I would rate it in my top 5 (and I have eaten falafels all over the world). The falafel (in pita) was huge and a good value for the money. There are many other veg options at this restaurant and although I only ate the falafel, if that is any indication, it's all good! Too bad I can only give it 4 cows (since they are not strictly vegitarian). I would give it 5 cows if allowed.

Pros: homemade pita, great falafel

Go there now! - Edit

If I could eat at Pita Bonita every night I would be very happy. These folks know how to do middle eastern food very well! The pitas are made fresh daily and are definitely deserving of their prominence in the name of the restaurant. Soft, doughy and delicious, these are more than just vessels for delivering hummus to your mouth; they are a standout feature in themselves. Although, the hummus too is good enough to eat by the pound with your fingers.

I ordered the shakshuka, a North African egg and tomato dish with pita, which elicited envy from all of my dining companions. The wells-spiced salsa-y tomatoes provided a perfect base to envelope the creamy eggs that sat atop. I ate the dish so fast that I was tempted to order a second one despite that I was already pleasantly full.

Pros: Delicious food, Good value

Cons: slightly pricey (but worth it), location is a little bit out of the way

Return to Punta Uva Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Pita Bonita closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1040 times since Mar 2011.