CLOSED: Pita and Co

• Veg-friendly

Contact 0-2-639-8275

333 Merced, Santiago, Chile,

Serves meat, vegan options available. Has vegan options like the pita mediterraneo that consists of falafel, tahini sauce, lettuce, onions, and cilantro. Reported closed to HappyCow, Aug 2015.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Fast food, Take-out, Middle Eastern, Non-veg

First Review by islandveg

A dream realized: - Edit

the dream of falafel utterly devoid of taste. Who would have thought it possible? But this place managed it!

I really mean it -- virtually *without taste*. Like nursing home falafel, should such a thing exist.

Anytime a place serves your falafel with accompanying salt packets, that's a bad sign. When they take the main ingredient, falafel, preformed out of a cold bin to insert directly into your wrap, that's a bad sign, too!

I had the falafel mediterr√°neo and it was at least tied for worst falafel I've ever had. And I've had very many, in many places around the world. I can forgive (even if I really don't like) the cold/ reheated falafel patty approach if the place is one of desperation -- a corner stand, or a place that clearly specializes in something far from falafel. But while I am always a bit mystified that a falafel seems so hard for restaurants to make well (being fairly simple in concept), I find it absolutely bizarre that a place specializing in 'pitas' would serve such a thing. (Naturally, one possibility is that they really focus on the meats, which is probably true... but still.)

The price -- $3400 as of writing -- for the basic falafel is ok, because it is the size of about two normal falafels. But I only wanted a normal-size, which they appear not to serve -- and in that case, one is forced to get a size that is fairly pricey for what one wanted.

I wouldn't characterize the place as super 'warm' in demeanor, either, but that's not a big concern of mine, and it's not like they were hostile.

I do feel quite mean here -- but I cannot imagine recommending this place to any vegetarian; on the other hand, Santiago is still, shall we say, developing in its vegetarianism -- hence, the fact that it serves anything vegetarian might be reason to keep it in mind (and for that reason, context, I give it two cows rather than one). Based on the previous review, some possibilities are that (a) the place has changed dramatically, or (b) I happened to catch it at some *extremely* inopportune time.

Pros: Location

Cons: Blandness, Old-n-cold falafel patties, Price

Return to Santiago Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Pita and Co closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 744 times since Oct 2012.