First Review by Foodpilgrim

a must-go if you love sushi - Edit

If you love sushi and you are bored of eating only avocado or cucumber maki rolls, Pirata is the perfect place for you. Here you can find different kinds of fish-free sushi which is really tasty. The food is reasonably priced and the staff is very friendly. They also have a coconut sushi as dessert, but if you go there I suggest that you try Easy-going Bakery or Dancing Shiva for dessert.

Pros: vegan sushi, friendly staff

Satisfying but not sensational - Edit

Fish free sushi is what it offers and all vegan too! The menu is relatively short with a variety of multiple mix choices but all only in German. The owner and chef is Brazilian and speaks enough English to explain the food and where else he dreams of opening Pirata cafe's -London for instance, anyone interested?
The food is good , tasty and strangely filling despite looking like theres not a lot on your plate! But it's not quite as good as it should be given the limited nature of the range on offer. I recommend it but it's not a must go there kind of place, yet!
It would be great if he does find someone interested in opening the second Pirata in London though!

Pros: All vegan sushi a rare treat, Not expensive, Centrally located

Cons: Relatively few choices., Toilet not easy to get to.!

fresh fun food - Edit

Pirata has nice healthy all vegan sushi. We enjoyed the set for two with lots of rolls. The flavour is not super intense but very good. Lots of wasabi, ginger and soy sauce for free. Nice atmosphere with seating for about 10. Friendly owner. Great meal!

bad rice - Edit

I completly agree with the last reviewer. I do wonder if the glowing earlier reviews come from people who basically have no experience eating sushi. Vienna has some nice options, you can get decent, freshly made vegan rolls in front of you eyes at some food stands for 1.5€.That being sad, I'm quite heartbroken to have sushi served from a refrigerator for more than double that ammount. And you can see from the photos that the rice is squished down till all character is taken from it (too hard and mechanical tasty for me), it doesn't taste right-like they cook too much at the same time, they don't know how to marinate it. but something is off. Beauty of Austria, a place like this can make the top ten for sushi restaurants in the city, just goes to show how little people know about what makes it, it. I wish the sushi wasn't cold, wasn't old, that they didn't have the wasabi balls in the restaurant area, that they soy sauce glasses were cleans once a month (I nearly vomited when I saw that, like I wanna touch wasabi from others grubby hands-let alone when I pay enough money for a chef to serve it to me). Judging by their model, this review won't affect them much as they are more interested in developing fast food sushi it seems. In anycase a decent effort for vegan sushi, if only they cared a wee bit more. don't believe the hype, it ain't that great.

Pros: vegan

Cons: rice is awful, wasabi and soy served separate, teeny and far away toilet

Disappointingly tasteless, unfortunately - Edit

I was really excited to visit this place while in Vienna for a few days, as I love sushi so much & had never been to an entirely vegan sushi place. They had lots of interesting sounding options with fancy/unusual ingredients (at least for sushi) such as sun dried tomato, nashi pear & some kind of mushroom I can't remember the name of, and you can buy single nigiri (maki have to be bought in fours I think). But unfortunately, the sushi was a big letdown, as it was really bland and flavourless unfortunately. Unless I went on an off day or week (I tried some of the reduced sushi from the orevious day as well as a couple of fresh pieces), they really need to work on the flavouring of the rice, as it just doesn't taste anything like the beautiful sushi I've had from Japanese restaurants. Otherwise, all the lovely ingredients and the awesome concept are going to waste, sadly. I would have also liked to be able to buy some of the more conventional types of vegan sushi, like plain avocado maki.

Pros: Totally vegan, Can buy single pieces of nigiri, and also reduced , Interesting ingredients & combinations

Cons: Tasteless rice makes the sushi really disappointin, No plain avocado maki, Toilet not easily accessible (upstairs next door &

Excellent sushi - Edit

This is a small place, but they accepted a reservation from me, so it's worth sending a message in advance if you know when you'll be visiting. The staff were really helpful and made good recommendations and explained things in English as needed. We arrived at 6pm (evening opening time), and they were low on nigiri but had enough for us and told us that if we wanted more they'd get on it. We tried most of the sushi available (nigiri, uramaki and maki), and had no complaints about any of them: everything was fresh and flavoursome. I loved it - definitely some of the most inventive vegan sushi I've had!

Pros: Lots of choice, All vegan

great sushi - Edit

The sushi looks very good and the taste is excellent with a lot of variation. The first time I was in a vegan sushi restaurant! Unfortunatly there are just a few places to sit.

Pros: beautiful sushi

Cons: not enough places to sit

awesome! - Edit

definitely a "must go" place

All Sushi is vegan - filled with great combinations of vegetables, fruits, mushrooms, beans....

My friends are omnivore and loved it as much as me! We just stayed 4 days in Wien and went there twice

Staff was super friendly, no problems with special requests. We even got a little dessert for free cause we have been so excited

Pros: big selection, very friendly staff, Special requests are no problem

Cons: not much seats

disappointing - Edit

I was very excited to east at a veg sushi place but was very disappointed. They are regularly out of many options or have limited amounts. The sushi rice is not seasoned and the food lacks creativity. Pretty pricey too.

Pros: Veg!

Cons: Mediocre taste, Very limited options, price

nice but that's it... - Edit

When I arrived at around 6 pm the cashier told me that they were sold out almost. The place was very very small with not much sitting areas so I had to take away and eat at my hotel room, the Sushi was indeed a bit special (not as special as in "Moon sushi" in Tel aviv) and nice but very small and not very filling. They take extra money for chopsticks and soy sauce. Maybe it's a European thing, not sure but in Tel aviv they just throw packets of soy, teriyaki and vegan spicy mayonnaise at you without charging...

Pros: Interesting taste, Standard pricing

Cons: staff could be nicer and less jaded, extra for soy and chopsticks, small sitting area

A dream coming true - vegan sushi! - Edit

Since I never ate fish in my life, I never tried sushi before and was always wondering, how it would taste like. Pirata made a dream come true, I could try out vegan sushi and it was absolutely delicious! You can really taste the freshness of the vegetables and fruits they use, also each piece is made very artfully. You might say that a person who never ate sushi might not be the right person to say this, but even my friends who ate sushi before were completly blown away by this experience! The restaurant itself is very small, but it is made in a pirate style, which gives it a very nice atmosphere. Definitely a must-go place in Vienna.

Pros: Awesome food, Very cool style of the restaurant, Offering lunch menu

Cons: No customer toilets, Only one dessert, based on bananas

Best sushi we have ever eaten! - Edit

Okay, I am not exaggerating when I say this is the best sushi my spouse and I have ever eaten. This vegan sushi is so imaginative and tasty, it defied expectations. We eat a lot of vegan sushi and my husband even makes vegan sushi that others hail as delicious, but this was stupendous. We bought the largest platter they had available and finished it off because we found it so mouthwatering and delightful. This place is a must for vegans and vegetarians, you will not be disappointed! It is 100% vegan and biological.

Pros: Imaginative & delicious vegan sushi, Good value , Excellent quality

Cons: Wish they had a bigger eat in area

Tastes as good as it looks - Edit

rice is not as perfect as in Tokyo, but overall it deserves five stars anyway. besides, a nice change from the standard vegan fare for eating out

Pros: great food, ambiance , variety

Return to Vienna Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Pirata closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3872 times since Jan 2015.