Pillars of Hercules Organic Farm Shop and Cafe

Contact 01337-857-749

Falkland, Cupar, Fife, Falkland, Scotland, KY15 7AD

Serves meat, vegan options available. The cafe is 100% vegetarian; the shop is not. Set price menu in cafe. BYOB. Live music. Call for hours - tell us.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Organic, Non-veg

First Review by Stevie

organic - Edit

if your in fife or edinburgh, if the sun is shining got to pillars. its half an hour by car from edinburgh, and a million miles away once you sit down. relaxed vibes with a mixture of locals, day tripper and cyclists.

plenty of outdoor seating. nice fresh juices, cakes a decent menu. as soon as you enter you see the organic fruit and veg and i just felt in a place good straight away. there is a very good shop selling almost everything you need, from toothpaste to bread. there is some meat on sale, it is individually shrink wrapped and away from the meat free section.

i'm looking forward to going back.

Pros: decent value, great staff, location and setting

Cons: meat in shop

Always A Good Option - Edit

Pillars of Hercules never fails to disappoint. Mostly veggie, but always some vegan options available, I tend to visit about once every month. The food is always very enjoyable, the fresh fruit juices too. Even when busy the staff deliver a good standard of service.

Pros: Variety of options, Farm shop attached

Made a nice stop during a longish bike ride - Edit

I've been meaning to go to Pillars of Hercules for some time and I finally made it, and was very satisfied. I was told more or less everything could be made vegan so I opted for the burger. It was tasty and the accompanying salad was extremely tasty and fresh. I also had a juice and a cake afterwards. Cake was OK - only two vegan options. It was sunny out so I sat outside in the strawberry fields. It is a nice setting and certainly worth a stop if you're in the area. I'd imagine it is not so easy to get to though but then it is a farm, which is nice to have a nose around. I had a pleasant cycle there (40 mile round trip) and if it was closer I would go there again/often. Probably I will do some walking around the hills there one day and be able to come back.

Pros: Fresh quality produce, Location, Good value

Cons: Location

Fife's Vegan Option - Edit

Hailing from Falkland and having been here many, many a time I do like it but having sampled other Veggie and Vegan cafe's the menu is quite limited/doesn't vary much outwith 'safe' options.

It would be nice to have more vegan options available but as this is Fife's only Vegan friendly place I've found thus far I can't complain too much :).

The environment has improved over the years, service hasn't always been that warm though.

I do still enjoy a visit though.

Pros: Only place to visit in fife for vegans, nice setting, organic

Cons: menu rarely changes, staff friendliness, washing of salad

Pillars of Hercules, Falkland - Edit

The first thing about this place (unsurprisingly) for a farm is that it doesn't seem to be the handiest place for public transport. Thus you'll likely need your own to get there.

The cafe is 100% vego, the shop is not. I asked what was suitable for a vegan vego and was given the low down on what was and what wasn't suitable by a helpful enough lady behind the til. I went for soup and then a Moroccan tagine. That was fine and with the unseasonally warm weather for April, I was able to eat this at the outdoor picnic tables.

I am unsure whether to rate this as a 3 or a 4. What I had was enjoyable and the setting is very nice but the meat products being sold in the shop makes for marks off for me. Worth a visit if though if you are in the area.

Pros: 100% vego cafe, Vegan vego friendly

Cons: Not 100% vego shop

Return to Falkland Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Pillars of Hercules Organic Farm Shop and Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1289 times since Apr 2011.