Piko Wholefoods Co-operative

• Health Store
Contact 03-3895062

229 Kilmore St., Christchurch, New Zealand,

Vegetarian wholefood store since 1979, and moved back into this space in Nov 2015. Specializes in organic food and gluten-free food. Many items are sold in bulk. Fresh fruits and vegetables, beans, rice, baby products, cereal, herbs and spices, frozen food, soy products, snacks, grains, beer and wine, personal care, and household products.

First Review by Angst

Expensive & Unwelcoming - Edit

Everytime I have been there I have been turned away by their prices because I know of other places I can get their stock from for less $$. I've also noticed that the staff are very unfriendly. I always feel like I've walked into some exclusive-elitist-hippy-vegan-organics club. They have some good stuff, but I now go elsewhere to the new Wholefoods in riccarton or to the Liberty Market where the prices and service are better.

Pros: Lots of wholefoods, Good selection of meat/dairy alternatives

Cons: Expensive, Poor customer service

Nice selection. Cold staff. - Edit

Small place but very well-stocked. I could imagine this being my go-to grocery store if I lived here. Staff should lose some of that haughty attitude and could've been friendlier.

Pros: great selection

Cons: snooty staff

Most excellent. - Edit

I could get lost in here. Sometimes I do.
Not because it's big and confusing, but because there are things I've never seen before and I forget who I am for a bit whilst looking at them and imagining them in my mouth.

piko. - Edit

sure, they stock some good things here, especially the little bird organics range. sadly, every time i go in there i get the holier-than-thou vibe from the staff. it's quite irritating. i now take my business to a friendlier organic shop and buy my little bird stuff direct from little bird.

Pros: little bird organics

Great little organic food store - Edit

Don't miss the vegan pie warmer! There is a nice selection of HOT vegan pies. Look at the codes on the side of the pie warmer, it'll show you the markings on top of the pies and the shape, such as round with three lines, etc. We did the vegan gluten free potato aduki bean pie and it was amazing! Great bulk foods, too. Great walk from the center of town along the Avon.

Pros: vegan pies

The best wholefood store in Christchurch - Edit

This shop does stock some vegan food items. Not extensive, but the best I found in Christchurch. They stock a few types of tofu and a small range of veggie (some vegan) sosages, burgers type stuff. Plus a small range of organic fruit and veg.

Pros: good marinated tofu, vegan snakc bars and choccy

Cons: a bit out of the way

Return to Christchurch Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Piko Wholefoods Co-operative closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1577 times since Aug 2007.