Pig Minds Brewing

Contact 779-423-2147

4080 Steele Dr, Machesney Park, Illinois, USA, 61115

Vegan owned and operated brew pub, open since May 2012. All food and 99% of beer is vegan; only exception is at times some guest beers from other regional or national brews may contain honey. Local beer is brewed in-house. Mon-Sat kitchen stops 2 hours before closing, Sun 7pm. Open Mon-Thu 3:00pm-11:00pm, Fri-Sat 12:00pm-12:00am, Sat-Sun 12:00am-1:00am, Sun 12:00pm-8:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Beer/Wine

First Review by lindama

LOVE this place! - Edit

I LOVE this restaurant - they have a wide variety of plant based food. It's great that I don't have to say "hold the meat and dairy" - I can actually choose from the entire menu and many items are great imitations of cheese and meat flavors for those still desiring that. Service is always VERY friendly.

Pros: All delicious vegan, Very cusomer oriented, Service is exceptional

Cons: Wish it were open more hours!, Wish it was closer to me

AMAZING!!! - Edit

Since I'm a vegan, I am of course always extremely enthusiastic when it comes to trying new vegan restaurants. However, my omnivorous dad and brother were much more skeptical since they haven't been exposed to vegan restaurants before. We got our table and admired the cool industrial atmosphere and stainless steel beer vats. We ordered onion rings for an appetizer, and for lunch I got the T.L.T. With mac and cheese, my dad got the burger, and my brother got the chicken fried steak. Everyone LOVED their meals!! We liked it so much we had to order both of their desserts: the brownie and carrot cake. Both were SO GOOD. Highly recommend this place. Generous portions and everyone, vegan or non, will love the food!

aMaZiNg - Edit

This place is incredible. They have a great outdoor patio with their own hops growing nicely and live music occasionally. The food can't be beat for deliciousness and variety and their beer is incredible too!!

Pros: food selection, vegan, creative beers

Cons: none

I love this place! - Edit

I'm so lucky to live close to Pig Minds! I love this place! It is a wonderful place to go for great vegan food (and beer too). It's a perfect place to stop for any traveling vegetarians (and non vegetarians) since it isn't far from the interstate.

vegan food and brewery TOGETHER! a match made in heaven!! - Edit

Great brews and great food in a vegan joint! I thought either the food or the beer would suffer for the other but I was happily wrong. Lots of options on menu and on tap. A must try if you haven't been!!

Good for appetizers - Edit

This used to be a really great place, but they have had a recent change in chef and the menu is far more appetizer heavy. There are only a few entree options now. It's a beer pub targeted at omnis, so food is highly processed and replicating meat dishes.

Vegan food and beer - a perfect match! - Edit

We travel down to Rockford area on occasion as my nephew's hockey team plays against the Ice Hogs. As vegans, we were surprised to learn that there was an all vegan restaurant in the area, and excited that it was a brewery, too. (I don't know much about Rockford, IL but I had the impression that it is not really the type of place where you would find an all vegan restaurant.)

So, I wasn't expecting too much as I thought it would be more bar food type of options but was pleasantly surprised at how amazingly good the food is!! And the beer - OMG!! Soooo good. Chatted with a few of the "regulars" who are meat eaters but say that they enjoy trying different food options. And they know what good beer this place has.

I actually crave it now and wish this place wasn't so far away.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday May 20, 2015

Pros: Excellent food, Excellent beer, Great staff

Cons: too far away from home! :-), none, none

Contributions +501

Incredible Restaurant! - Edit

We stopped here on our way back from a long road trip and it was an excellent food break. We had take out because we had our dogs with us and enjoyed the food as much in the car as we would have in the restaurant. They prepared it pretty fast, were quite friendly, and everything was delicious. We'll definitely be stopping there again when we head through the area and highly recommend the Wingz with the sweet chile sauce.

Pros: Great Food, Fast, Friendly Staff

Awesome - Edit

Excellent experience!!! Our server Pete was not a vegan but asked if he could pull up a chair and talk with us about our choice. Personally we loved this. Makes the experience more personal and it's cool knowing someone wants to know why this is you're eating choice! Awesome server. Ask for Pete. We ate the salt and vinegar fries for an appetizer. Delicious!!! Our meals were the Korean bbq tacos and the Reuben sandwich. Absolutely heavenly. Especially the Korean bbq. We drank beer. The "Sweep the leg" west coast ipa, I'm a hop head, and the Smokey Scott a delicious Scottish ale. Both beers were fantastic with an excellent buzz :) and they brew their be right their of course. As well as having a couple different guest brews each month.
Updated from previous review on Sunday April 19, 2015

Updated from previous review on Sunday April 19, 2015

Pros: Vegan, Service, Beers

Cons: None, None, None

Great Food and Beer - Edit

This was the ultimate destination for a multi-day road trip for us. Easy parking and hotels nearby. Easy access from I-90. I will be stopping here on future trips.

Food was good, but I wouldn't call it healthy. Typical bar food with a twist. Polenta fries, artisan pretzels, black bean burgers, korean bbq tacos, delicious chocolate brownies. Seems like they made all their own food from scratch. Sauces were really good. they should bottle the beer reduction and the chipotle aioli.

If you are a beer fan, the flight is a great option. All ten of their on tap beers in 5oz glasses for $15.

While our server wasn't vegan, she was friendly and very knowledgeable about all their food and beer offerings.

Pros: parking, delicious food, all vegan

Cons: wish staff was vegan

Processed Food Only - Edit

I am very disappointed!! The vegan diet is a very healthy one, but eating here is the unhealthy version. This is the only vegan place I have been to where you can't get any fresh dishes with all whole ingredients. I could eat anywhere and get a garden salad. This is the only option here that doesn't have processed junk in it. If you want fake meat and processed foods this is the place to go!! Unfortunately 2 stars is the least amount they will allow on here. They deserve at most a one in my opinion!!

Pros: vegan

Cons: processed ingredients, no fresh and healthy options

wonderful!!!!! - Edit

this has to be by far the best vegan place I have ever been to!! there are no words how wonderful the food is! and there own brews.....perfect! great atmosphere. great service...fast and friendly...will be back! wish we lived closer so we could come here more often!

Pros: great food, great beer, great service

Pigs Mind=Awesomeness - Edit

Love this place and so grateful they have opened! A refreshing twist on vegan eateries, no wheatgrass in sight and if I do say so, it's got some testosterone to boot. Great food, fantastic craft beers and no guy will have a problem feeling comfortable in this restaurant/bar. Try the wings and the rueben, and the cole slaw is amazing. Highly recommended!

SO good! - Edit

My husband and I were thrilled that this place opened. An all-vegan restaurant outside of Chicago?! We finally got around to visiting this weekend, and the food was absolutely wonderful. My husband said the beer was great too. I don't like beer, so I can't give any details. He liked it enough to get a growler to take home, and this is his new favorite restaurant, beating out Chicago Diner and Native Foods. Since it was our first time here, we ordered two appetizers - fried pickles and nachos. Wow! These were both delicious. The pickles weren't too greasy, and the nachos were artfully presented and high quality. We both had the steakless sandwich, and it had intense flavor. The sides were home-style, filling, and delicious. We're hoping to come back here again and again. I hope this place stays open for a very long time!

Pros: all vegan, delicious food, nicely designed, open atmosphere, easy to get to if you have a car

Cons: kitchen closes much earlier than bar

Finally a Vegan Restaurant in Rockford area! - Edit

Have dined here several times with my non-vegetarian husband and we both love it! The food is great! Tried the beer and that was good as well. We even took some of their vegan ranch to go. This restaurant is all vegan-and all good!

Finally a restaurant with many vegan options! - Edit

This is a fairly new brewery/restaurant hiding in Machesney Park, Illinois, kind of behind the Target on Alpine and 173. They make several different beers and serve vegetarian food. We did not have any beer, but we tried several of the reasonably priced sides. Our favorite was the coleslaw, which we don't generally care for. The calico beans and house salad were great and the roasted veggies were good also. The chili was hearty and had a great flavor, but it was way too spicy for us. They kindly took it off our bill. I hope they make a toned down version because we'd like to go back for chili some time. We also ordered an appetizer - pita pita - served with hummus, olive tapenade, and slightly toasted pita wedges. This is very good also. I think they make a different hummus each day. They also serve many sandwiches and wraps.

There is outdoor seating and a bags game available to play. They also had a new hammer-a-nail in a tree stump game. I am thinking they will move this outside because it was very loud inside. The guys had a lot of fun with it though.

We will definitely go back. It was so nice to have more than one vegan option from which to choose.

Pros: vegan options, good food, friendly staff

Cons: noisy but it is a brewery

Return to Machesney Park Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Pig Minds Brewing closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2787 times since Jun 2012.