Pie Hole

406-926-2233

525 N Higgins Ave, Missoula, Montana, USA, 59802

Serves meat, vegan options available. Downtown pizzeria opened late Sept 2015. Features a daily vegan pizza available by the slice, in addition to other vegan pizzas available to order. The available vegan sauces rotate and include a vegan roux, hummus, vegan pesto, and Thai peanut sauce. Vegan cheese available on some days. Open Mon-Sun 12:00am-3:00am, Mon-Sun 11:00am-12:00am.

Category: Lacto, Ovo, American, Pizza, Italian, Fast food, Delivery, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by J and J

Cheap pizza? Yes please! - Edit

A pizza place within walking distance from the U that's less than $3 a slice? YASSSS! I love the vegan roux and the vegan pesto! I used to walk here all the time to get pizza when I was in college... It's dangerous!

Pros: Tasty!, Price!

Cons: Limited options

Great vegan fast food in downtown Missoula! - Edit

I am updating my review to address the one star review here and to offer suggestions for filling and delicious pizzas at Pie Hole.

It's so cool that Pie Hole is open late nights, so a vegan can get some delicious vegan pizza at 2 am after dancing!

I personally do not like vegan cheese at all, so I am happy that they only use it sometimes. If vegan cheese is a must have for you, call ahead, because they only buy what they are going to use, and they do not use vegan cheese every day. In bright news, that means their ingredients are fresh.

Sauces rotate, so depending on the day there are one or more different vegan sauces. I love the vegan roux. They make it there, so sometimes it's a little spicy, sometimes herby. I also like the hummus pizzas.

The one star review said their pizza was not filling.

For a filling pizza, I recommend trying Pie Hole on a day that they have (or ordering your own pie with) POTATOES! Their potato pizzas are excellent! My personal favorite: vegan roux, potatoes, pepperoncinis, and olives.

I also think that hummus with roasted red bell peppers and potatoes is really good.

Basically, if you want a filling pizza, I recommend trying one with potatoes or with hummus.

Give Pie Hole a try. And keep in mind, if you are traveling through Missoula from out of state - Missoula is hardly a vegan metropolis. We take what we can get here, and Pie Hole is a late night vegan pizza option we never had before. We don't even have a single vegan restaurant or even vegetarian restaurant in the city. So please, be open-minded as to what you find in Missoula, take local suggestions, and you just might have a good experience.

Oh, and remember the potatoes! :)

Updated from previous review on 2016-01-30

Pros: Vegan friendly, Vegan pizza daily, Inexpensive

Cons: 1. some days the flavors are less filling

The driest pizza I've ever tasted! - Edit

Contrary to what I read on here--THERE IS NO VEGAN CHEESE. I was extremely disappointed with the full pie, which came to an unreasonable $24 bucks for what we got. They aren't really helping out us vegans at all, and the pie I got could have been made by anyone at any run-of-the-mill pizzeria. There was no flavor and the "roux" just tasted like garbage red sauce. I cannot say how dry it was enough! I ate two slices of cardboard while I was starving and ready to eat anything.

A must avoid for vegans.

Pros: cool art

Cons: EXPENSIVE, Nothing special - these pizzas could be made at an, So, so, so dry! ugh!

J and J 17 Dec 2016 - The vegan cheese availability rotates with the sauces. Missoula is a small town, where veganism is just barely becoming slightly popular. This is our first late night vegan pizza option. They only purchase the ingredients they will use that week, so if a vegan cheese pizza is not on the menu for the week, there won't be vegan cheese available for make your own. Call ahead. In bright news, the ingredients are fresh, because they buy them as they need them.

I personally can't stand vegan cheese. It's all chemicals and oil.

But, I can recommend if you are ever coming through Missoula again to try one of their pizzas with hummus or with potatoes. I think their vegan roux, potato, pepperoncini, olive pizza is fabulous!

Missoula does not have a single vegan or even vegetarian restaurant. We are not Olympia or near a big metropolis like Seattle. Just like when traveling abroad, when traveling in the rural US, one has to adjust one's expectations to the local availability. If you had been here even 3 years ago, you wouldn't have found a single vegan option in town except for the deli at the Good Food Store!

Could be improved - Edit

They offer one vegan slice a day. That's kind of a bummer since they often have some strange combination of ingredients on the vegan slice. The vegan options are sometimes really not filling at all. Kind of annoying since it's the most expensive slice.

Return to Missoula Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Pie Hole closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.