Pho Hoa Binh

• Veg-friendly
Contact 901-276-0006

1615 Madison, Memphis, Tennessee, USA, 38104

Serves meat, vegan options available. Extensive use of tofu, seitan, and wheat gluten meat substitutes in Vietnamese recipes on the dinner menu. Generous portions. Lunch buffet always has at least half meatless dishes, including the soups and crispy spring rolls.

Category: Vietnamese, Non-veg

First Review by Feenix

Big selection of Vegetarian Items - Edit

I have been frequenting this establishment since 2003 and always had great food and service. There are so many tofu and seitan dishes on this menu to keep coming back for more. A favorite of mine is the Lemongrass Tofu and tofu spring rolls, but I also love tomato tofu, pineapple tofu, roasted seitan and vegetarian vermicelli. I recommend this to any vegan or vegetarian friends.

Pros: good food, inexpensive , fast service

Cons: atmosphere , small place

Do Not Trust The Food! - Edit

Recently, my spouse and I traveled to Memphis for a conference. We used the Happy Cow reference to this restaurant as a place to enjoy a meal.

My spouse took advantage of the buffet while I ordered the lemon grass tofu from the menu. It took some time to get my order (meanwhile my spouse finished and was waiting for me) and when it arrived it was piping hot, a good thing.

What made me distrustful was that fact that the tofu was pungent with fish sauce! When the waiter inquired about my hesitancy to continue eating, I mentioned the strong fish sauce flavor. He quickly (really too quickly) denied that it was used in the cooking. My red flag went up immediately. Fish sauce has a very distinct, salty flavor. It is used extensively in Asian cooking. What bothered me is that the waiter insisted that they NEVER use fish sauce in their tofu. Coulda fooled me.

I would not recommend this restaurant if you are a total vegetarian. The food cannot be trusted.

Pros: Ample servings, Reasonably priced

Cons: Not very clean, Cannot trust the ingredients

Low price, high quality pho - Edit

Of the Vietnamese restaurants in Memphis, this one is my favorite. The prices are fair and the food isn't as greasy as many of the similar places around. Supernice family-run business. They're happy to customize your dish.
Pho Hoa Binh lacks in decor, but once the lemongrass tofu was placed in front of me, it commanded my full attention. Amazing.

Pros: price, convenience, omg lemongrass tofu

Cons: not pretty

Excellent Value - Edit

Delicious tofu dishes, friendly service, though definitely a casual - almost fast food - feel to the restaurant itself. Tofu dishes could use more vegetables, but all in all a great place.

Pros: Value, Flavor, Staff

Cons: More vegetables, Ambiance

Return to Memphis Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Pho Hoa Binh closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1347 times since Sep 2009.