Pho Asian Noodle House

• Veg-friendly
Contact 614-488-8886

1288 W Lane Ave (at Kenny Rd), Columbus, Ohio, USA, 43221

Serves meat, vegan options available. Meat-based menu but some of the entrees come could be made with vegetable or tofu instead of meat, and there is also a list of vegetable dishes. Possibly the pho noodle soup and Vietnamese salad rolls can be requested vegan - ask. Atmosphere is fast-food. You order food at the cash register and dishes are brought to the table.

Category: Chinese, Thai, Fast food, Take-out, Asian, Vietnamese, Non-veg

First Review by moonwomyn13

Really Yummy-- if it's vegan UPDATED - Edit

In my original review (below), I noted uncertainty about vegan items that kept me away from Pho Asian Noodle House, but I have since resumed my patronage and I do believe things have improved!

The girl at the counter knew what vegan was and I definitely got the right broth in my soup. I still love the pile of fresh cilantro, basil, sprouts and peppers that come with it. It pains me to see so many people waste those fresh yummy veggies. I wish they would ask people if they want them or not. Once I actually approached a table of food wasters and asked if I could have their veggies! Yes, I could. : )

The best thing, however, is the salt and pepper tofu-- firm Chinese tofu, panko breaded, tossed with fried green onions and jalapeno peppers. A simple, salty, oniony dish that is absolutely addictive!

------------------------------------
I had several great experiences at Pho. The in-store menu lists vegetarian pho as an option and I ordered it without issue. It was delicious! A huge bowl of spiced broth, full of veggies, served with piles of fresh jalapenos, mint, basil, and bean sprouts! Wow! I was hooked.

BUT, I have not been back in some time because the three visits to Pho were destroyed my confidence in their ability to accommodate vegans.

We ordered the veg pho, as usual, but it was actually chicken broth. It was quite obviously yellow and chickeny smelling. We complained and were told there was a misunderstanding with the chef. OK, fine. It happens some times. They fixed it. The problem is that it happened again, the next two times. We were led to believe that there is a special way to order the pho because the chef at the time does not understand what "vegetarian" means. Annoyed, but willing to speak the chef's language, I ordered a third time the way I had been instructed and again received chicken broth.

I have not been back since. It is unfortunate because the pho was really excellent when it was vegan.

There are some other pan-Asian options on the menu, such as coconut curry tofu which are supposedly vegan, but they are nothing you cannot get at any other Asian restaurant in town.
Updated from previous review on Thursday June 13, 2013

Pros: Good vegan pho-- when it actually IS veg, Salt and pepper tofu

Cons: Frustrating inconsistency

Return to Columbus Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Pho Asian Noodle House closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1866 times since Jul 2010.