CLOSED: Pfannenzauber

Contact 0241-9610569

Suermondtplatz 12, Aachen, Germany, 52062

Contemporary vegan cuisine. English is spoken but the menu is only in German. CONFIRMED CLOSED, OCT 2016. Open Mon-Thu 12:00pm-2:30pm, Mon-Thu 6:00pm-9:00pm, Fri-Sat 12:00pm-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan, Western, Beer/Wine, Take-out

First Review by ewecs

wonderful! - Edit

A very nice Restaurant. offers 4 different dishes changing every day. You can choose a menue out of the 4 daily and get an appetizer, the Main dish and a desert. the taste was really good and everything was inexpensive. i can highly recommend this cute Restaurant!

Yes, Yes and Yes! - Edit

I love ordering anything on the card because its 100% vegan and I don't have to think about it.
The food does often have higher fat/oil ingredients.
Occasionally I've had problems with everything on the plate being warm/hot but this rarely occurs.
I always found the food delicious and I am happy to go back again and again!

Pros: Vegan, Homemade, Friendly staff

Cons: Not the largest selection, Not always open (Carnival,mid afternoon), No delivery

Good and 100% Vegan - Edit

Arrived 7/4/16 without a reservation and had good service and an enjoyable meal overall.

There is a different menu every day which I gather they normally put on their Facebook page every day. You choose one of 4 main courses and then have the option to add a starter and a dessert (or both) if you wish.

The food was mostly good but not fantastic (one of our group said their food was bland). Overall it was a good experience but some of their dishes could be tastier.

The only main criticism is that the menu was only in German.

Pros: Everything is 100% Vegan, Plenty of choice

Cons: Menu only in German

Nice place but not inexpensive - Edit

The menus are a nice option in this calm, relaxing atmosphere. For a small menu, they offer some nice variation in tastes. Staff spoke english. HappyCow lists this place as inexpensive but I would say it's moderate.

Pros: Nice dining experience, Great dish presentation, vegan!

nice restaurant - Edit

Arrived on Friday evening without reservation, got a small one person desk with vegan books and magasines. Staff was very nice, offered a menu with 3 courses. Overall food was okay but not very tasty. I recommend this place if you are bored with eating falafel in the city center.

Pros: friendly staff

Cons: a bit expensive

Omnomnom - Edit

This super cute restaurant is easy to find and an absolute GO GO when visiting Aachen! The restaurant has some beautiful artsy pictures as decoration (who are also for sale).

The menu changes every day and it shows you what products are in the drinks the serve. My visit was on an Thursday so me and my boyfriend both choose the 'Pfannenzauber Burger', it was served with potato wedges, ketchup and vegan mayo.
It was DELICIOUS!! If I could, I would go back every day to choose something from their menu.

Pros: Menu, Atmosphere, Location

Pfannenzauber Aachen - Edit

Super, dass wir hier gelandet sind!!

Die Kombinationen der einzelnen Gericht-Komponenten waren super. Wir haben das 3-Gänge-Menü bestellt, dazu einmal Rhabarber-Schorle und einmal Maracuja-Schorle.

Wenn Ihr wirklich gutes Essen mögt, solltet Ihr zum Pfannenzauber kommen.

Topp Tipp in Aachens Gastronomie - Edit

Die abwechslungsreiche Wochenkarte mit täglich wechselnden Gerichten, der super nette und engagierte Service, sowie die Sonderveranstaltungen sind der Hit und machen den Besuch zum Erlebnis. Unbedingt hingehen. Nicht nur für vegan lebende Menschen sehr zu empfehlen!

Pros: Leckeres und abwechslungsreiches Essen, Enorm freundicher Service, Gemütliche Atmosphäre

Still Aachen's no. 1 choice for vegans - Edit

Okay, I've got to be honest: The intérieur looks like some witches are living here, the font of it's sign looks like being stolen from Harry Potter, and the overall atmosphere in this restaurant doesn't seem to be "professional".

Nevertheless, the waitresses have always been very friendly and helpful, the food has always tasted good (not an apocalypse, but really solid yummy), and the diversity of a daily changing menu is gorgeous.

I am pretty new to Aachen, but Pfannenzauber made my start here become very easy. I really enjoy the familiar atmosphere and the specials like sunday brunch buffet with scrumbled tofu or italian dinner buffet with Pizza and Tiramisu.

In my hometown Berlin, this place would just be one of many, but in Aachen it's your first choice as a vegan! Go vegan, go Pfannenzauber!

Pros: Totally vegan, Friendly stuff, Specials like brunch and italian dinner

Cons: Cheesy furnishing, Closed on sunday, Portion sizes vary depending on cookee

Lovely Restaurant in a lovely city - Edit

Pfannenzauber ("pan magic") is located close to the very center of Aachen, at a pretty little square. The interior of the restaurant is just as nice, it's very relaxed, but still beautiful and attention is paid to every detail. I was served quickly and very friendly. However, I was a bit disappointed by the menu: There is a daily menu with a set starter and a dessert, and you can choose from four mains. I really think there should be more choices! In the end I opted for the carrot and potato balls with salad. While the balls were delicious, they were small and there were just four of them. On the other hand, the salad was huge, but totally boring and bland.
The starter was a lentil and capsicorn soup which was very good, and the dessert was pineapple and vanilla ice cream - and it really was to die for!

With my tea, the bill came to 16,50€, which was ok.

Altogether, I really enjoyed my lunch at this restaurant. There are a few things that could be improved, but I still totally recommend it!

Pros: Great food, Friendly service, Lovely atmosphere

Cons: Lack of choices

Would be worth going to anywhere - Edit

Splendid place. Simple menu but with enough variety to please many tastes. Tasteful decor. Very reasonable prices (but cash only). Friendly staff. Enjoyed every aspect of the experience. A great vegetarian choice!
Updated from previous review on Saturday June 28, 2014

Pros: food choice and quailty, prices, staff and decor

Cons: doesn't take credit cards

Great vegan restaurant - Edit

Love, love, love this place! The atmosphere is really familiar. It is a small restaurant, which feels more like you were sitting in someone's living room. On each table there are some games (Mikado, card games) or books to pass the time while you wait for your delicious meal.
They work with daily menus. There are 4 main dishes to choose from, one starter and one dessert. You can also pick one main dish and make it a 3-course menu (which include the starter, the chosen main dish and a dessert). The menu changes every day. So if you're a picky person it might be a good idea to look at the online menu first ( http://www.pfannenzauber-aachen.de/Speisekarte/SK.pdf ). The menu also comes in two size (normal, small).

Pros: Nice staff, great atmosphere, Good food, Good price

Good vegan food. - Edit

We ate here on 4 December 2013, pleased to find a completely vegan restaurant in Aachen. The food was good and reasonably priced. The menu changes daily. The waitress spoke English but the menu was only in German. However, she lent us a German food dictionary so we could translate most of the items.

Pros: Good, vegan food, Friendly and welcoming

Cons: Menu only in German

Pflanzenzauber - Edit

Sehr nette Bedienung. Man wartet zwar ein bisschen auf sein Essen aber das Ambiente und die Geselligkeit können bei etwas zu trinken genossen werden. Es wird auf alle Wünsche eingegangen. Der Preis ist gehoben aber ok.

Very friendly waitresses. You have to wait a little bit for your food but the atmosphere and company with a something to drink make up for that. Every wish is taken care of. The price is sophisticated but ok.

Pros: Sehr freundlich/very friendly, Lecker/tasty, Ambitioniert/ambitious

Not worth the price - Edit

I've been there once because of a business meeting.

The waitress was very friendly, but I have to say that she was a friend of my business partner.

I think it's good that they use daily menus, just to make sure that everything they serve is fresh.

The real problem was, that I felt as hungry as I was before I came in, after three courses (big menu)! Just as an example, we were three people and ordered the same dessert. We literally had to share one banana.

I've been really angry after I was done, because I'm usually not hungry anymore after whatever I ate. Even when I would have feel stuffed, the price would have been too pricy.

By the way, the food was way too salty.

Pros: vegan

Cons: less, salty, expensive

Nice! - Edit

Very nice place and the service is very kind. The food is delicious and the prices affordable.

They use daily menus so one can have the certainty that the food is fresh. The Pfannenzauberburger especially good as well as the "Vegannaise".

Pros: Vegan 100%, Taste, Service

Cons: A bit tricky to find

Excelent food, excelent prices - Edit

This restaurant uses a day menu. We went to this restaurant expecting a lot of meat imitations because of one of the other reviews, but this was absolutely not the case.

As appetizer we had an union soup with some very descent homemade stock. It had great seasoning and tasted as a good union soup should.

I ordered a curry. Strong and balanced flavors made this dish one of my favorites of all vegan restaurants I've been to.

My girlfriend ordered a wholewheat pasta with sun dried tomatoes. Very powerful and yet very good. Maybe a tad salty, but I love that (we switched plates halfway).

As a desert we both had a Dame Blanche with some nice treats on the plates (sliced orange, filled chocolate, agave syrup).

The waitress was not very friendly, but this could have been the (obvious) language barrier.

Overall: the food was very cheap (40 euro's including large glasses of juice) and very fast. I think we ate within 10 minutes. Excellent restaurant and an absolute recommendation.

Nice staff and good ideas, however.... - Edit

... I would appriciate more fresh food and less meatimitations. I ate there several times and I stopped going there, because I dont like the meat imitiations, and mostly dont like the taste of the soyproducts they use instead of sourcream etc., even though I love the idea of an 100% vegan restaurant.

GOOD: They offer different sizes to order the meal according to your hunger, have serveral organic drinks and one 100% organic meal - unfortunatly it is the pasta with (good) pesto (12€), which I dont eat.

The best coice there is usually the burger with fries (8€) :)

Pros: good burger, organic choices

Cons: "fast food", pricey

Cheerful Central Restaurant - Edit

The restaurant is sited about 200m from Adalbertstrasse, one of the main pedestrianised shopping streets in the centre.

There is a daily changing three course menu: starter, choice of four main courses at different price levels, pudding.

With juice, the most expensive menu came to €20 for one.

The service was very cheerful. On a Monday lunchtime the place was quiet. I would have thought it would normally be spacious and relaxed.

The food was good, with some imagination.

Not satisfying - Edit

I had been here once before and all was fine, but unfortunately now I got quite dissapointed.
First of all it was cold inside. We had to wait long before we could place our orders, then again it took long before we finally got our plates. The vegan burger was almost cold and the pumpkin-lentil curry I had wasn't bad, but certainly not worth its money because all it had was a small portion of rice and the mentioned curry.
Too bad because a restaurant like this could really improve the publicity on veganism in a city like Aachen. Now it will only leave a bad impression.
On a positive note the atmosphere was still great, with personal art hanging on the walls and colourful decoration.

Pros: Nice atmosphere, Lots of info and brochures

Cons: Expensive for the amount and quality, Long waits, Cold inside

Lovely place! please support it - Edit

Was there with a non-veggie local friend. If I lived in Aachen I would definitely support it, unfortunately it does not seem to be busy. The service was wonderful, really friendly, she also did try to speak English, and the food was great as well. They have a small choice of mains plus one starter and one dessert depending on the day and you can get 3 courses for 10€ or so. Good portions, we were stuffed by the end, and a nice decor in there as well. I really hope it keeps going!

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly and helpful staff, Healthy cuisine

Aachen's 1st Vegaterian/Vegan Restaurant! - Edit

We've waited a long time for this and it was worth the wait! Pfannenzauber just opened in 2010. The owner/chef is a 28 year-old who is determined to bring vegans/vegetarians creative and tasty food. Though one can order a quick menu, the basic set-up is a choice between three 3-course menus. One choice is always a vegan-burger variety (BBQ, curry, etc) and the other 2 change daily. We both started with a delicious mint-erbsen soup that was perfectly spiced. For my main course, I had spaghetti with a lentil-bolognase sauce and my partner had soja medaillions in a mustard crust. We were both very happy with the food. The service was a bit slow but the owner came to our table early on the explain that the waitress had called in sick at the last minute so a friend was springing in to help. All items on the menu are vegan, therefore also lactose free, and most items are also gluten-free. The prices for the menus are incredibly low (10-12 euros) especially for the quality and quantity. We intend to become regulars and will definitely recommend this place to all of our friends - even the meat-eaters will be satisfied!

Pros: Excellent food, Good variety, Friendly staff

Enjoyable meal in a friendly quiet environment - Edit

I disagree with the previous review that was negative. Having been in Aachen a couple days, already stuffed to the gills with pasta and having tried the Thai restaurants (passable) and turned up my nose at the Chinese places, I decided to give this place a try. I was pleasantly surprised and certainly recommend Pfannenzauber. It wouldn't be competitive with the top vegetarian places in New York or London, but in Aachen it's a great alternative.

They have a small menu that changes daily. As of this writing, there are 3 choices available at dinner, 8/10/12 euros. Add 2 euros onto your choice and get an appetizer and dessert. The appetizer can be either soup or choose your own cold things from the appetizer bar. (Didn't look at the bar so can't say exactly what they had there.)

I chose the 10 euro option, which tonight was polenta with stewed fennel in an orange sauce with various small crunchy things and a few berries. It was well conceived, unusual, tasty and filling. The other two choices were a veggie burger and fries at 8 euros - they seem to have a different flavoring each day - and fried tofu "fish fillets" with creamed beet salad at 12 euros.

The soup was some vegetable/nut concoction, hard for me to figure out exactly what it was, and my German isn't good enough to figure out the ingredients list on the menu. I enjoyed it, although it did need salt.

I felt the restaurant was a good value for a midrange sitdown restaurant in Aachen. The server was very pleasant and tolerant of my language difficulties. The environment is fun - quiet with plenty of games and books scattered around. There was a rubik's cube sitting on my table to play with.

They have both vegan and vegetarian, and they mark which items have gluten in them. I didn't look too carefully but I think all 3 entree choices had gluten tonight. They post their full menu for the week so I guess gluten-free diners choose their night appropriately.

nice place, bad food - Edit

I went here last night with some friends of mine.. It's a nice colorful place with a different menu every day. I decided to go for a soja-gulash with rice and Bratapfel-Konfit (still not sure what i ate in the end). The staff was very friendly and had a lot of patience with my friend who didn't know what to choose.
Anyway... the food... The Gulash looked not too awesome, and to be honest it tasted exactly like that aswell. It was the kind of food you'd expect to get at a voku, not in a restaurant. According to my friends the burger was pretty good. But with frozen fries from the supermarket and no salad on the side, 8 euros is in my opinon a lot of money for it.
Nevertheless, i think i might come back here again. Luckily the menu varies every day and i can do nothing more than promote vegan restaurants. I think that if you don't order something "adventurous", you'll be satisfied for sure.

Pros: friendly staff, quiet

Cons: not the best choice of ingredients, pricy

Return to Aachen Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Pfannenzauber closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5882 times since Sep 2010.