Petunia's Pies and Pastries

Contact 503-841-5961

610 SW 12th Ave, Portland, Oregon, USA, 97205

Est. 2013, this is a gluten-free and vegan bakery; July 2016 reported no longer using honey. Serves a small amount of savory dishes. Mon-Tue 9:00am-7:00pm, Sun 9:00am-7:00pm, Wed 9:00am-8:00pm, Thu 9:00am-9:00pm, Fri-Sat 9:00am-10:00pm

Category: Vegan, American, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Bakery

First Review by ShelA

amazing little place! - Edit

Had a good meal here. We had the pumpkin/rice bowl and the Mac and cheese. The Mac and cheese was a little oily but delicious. The bowl was amazing. Had pie and icecream for dessert. Great little place which is very stylish and it's always great to have a fully vegan bakery. Wish we could have eaten there again.

Highly recommend - Edit

This place is great for picking up a couple sweet treats. Slightly spendy, but you're paying for good quality food. They have a small food menu as well, and I've been impressed with it so far. Go here!

Love - Edit

I love Petunia's. It is a very cute place, and they have an amazing selection of vegan baked goods (blondies, cookies, cakes with slices as big as your head, etc) that make decision making darn near impossible. I especially enjoy their ice cream sundaes however. Most recently I had a sundae with a scoop of cappuccino and a scoop of vanilla, topped with caramel sauce, white choc. chips, and salted caramel cookie. It was heaven. In addition to the sweet stuff they do savory food. It is not as exciting as their other items, but all perfectly fine. Their mac and cheese is quite good and the bbq bowl is tasty. I will continue to hit up Petunia's every time I'm in Portland, probably more than once.

Pros: Vegan sundaes, Huge baked goods selection, Savory food as well

Sensational - Edit

This was an amazing place. We had the turtle cheesecake, which might well be the best vegan cheesecake we've ever eaten. The pecan bun was also excellent.

We loved Petunia's so much we went back two days later... and the staff remembered my name, which was lovely. We had the fruit compote waffles for brunch and they were excellent.

The displays are also really beautiful. If only we'd had time to sample everything!

Decadent!! - Edit

Wow. Just wow. My only disappointment was that I didn't realize until it was too late that they had a savory menu.

My husband has a sweet tooth that can rival an 8 year old, so naturally we had to come by here on a recent trip to Portland for some breakfast pastries. Everything looked amazing and to be honest, I can't even remember everything we ordered, just that it was all absolutely perfect with our morning coffee the next day. A must-stop for any traveling or local vegan!

Delicious and fresh exciting vegan gf baking - Edit

If you haven't noticed, gluten free is everywhere. It is becoming more popular than ever, but vegan and gluten free baked goods are challenging to follow with this trend. Petunia's transforms that notion from inedible and impossible to delicious dreams incarnate.

Some of the items are very sweet, and if you don't like frosting, either avoid the cakes or remove some. The cake texture is not bad for gluten free. The cheesecakes, however, are wonderful. They are creamier and more pie-like in consistency, but that's ok by me. The price tag is high, but it costs to make this stuff!

The cookies are exciting combinations of sandwiches in mint, chocolate chip filled teases, as I would prefer the cookies alone. The bars look bountiful in ingredients, but the texture leaves something to be desired. The quick breads are passable and have a good selection, which is rare for gluten free! Among a few other items, I also heart the Salt and Straw ice cream with Petunia's salted caramel bar chunks- it is awesome and generous in serving size. The crowning glory though, and with a price tag to match, is the doughnuts. So gosh darned good! Amazing how they are gluten free! Best gf vegan doughnuts this side of reality!

They also have beer and espresso drinks, wine and soda. In too of that, they now have brekkie, lunch and dinner. It's really quite incredible. People are very happy here when eating the Mac n cheese, pot pie, waffles or spinach lasagna. The savory foods are good, but not great. However, I appreciate that they are full service for just about any portion of a day's dining experience. The waffle is delightful with the fruit compote- very generously topped.

Pros: All vegan and gluten free, Hours , Savory and sweet

Cons: Prices, Long waits possible

Good for GF vegans - Edit

Everything here is vegan AND gluten-free. They had a wide selection of baked goods and savory items, but I only got to try two things—the turtle cheesecake and the buster bar. Both were just okay, definitely looked better than they tasted, which was a bit disappointing. I'm not sure what the "cheese" filling was made of in the cheesecake; it had a nice texture but really didn't taste like much. The chocolate crust was quite good though. The buster bar had three layers—a peanut butter cookie crust, a middle layer of peanut butter cream, and chocolate ganache icing as the finish. It was pretty sweet, too much for me that I could only take two bites. But then again I don't have the biggest sweet tooth.

Prices were high: cakes were around $8 per slice while the smaller items started at $3. The convenient downtown location was probably also a factor in this. If you are a GF vegan and love your sweets, this place is for you.

Pros: selection, location

Cons: pricey, too sweet

AMAZING CAKES!!! - Edit

I'm allergic to dairy and egg so my choice of sweet food/pudding is usually fruit. Using happycow I decided trying this place while visiting Portland.
There was an amazing choice of both savoury and sweet food and it was delicious !! Defiantly worth a try for anyone herbivore or carnivore. According to my family (who I went with) it doesn't taste vegan/healthy it just taste delicious!

Pros: Huge Choice, Delicious, Good Service

Cons: Bit Pricey

All vegan, all gluten-free! - Edit

This place is sooooo wonderful. They have a case FULL of gluten free vegan baked goods. We tried several things that were all super tasty. They also have some food items that sound good, but haven't tried them. I was too overwhelmed with the variety of sweets.

OMG- sooo yummmmmy - Edit

Remember that slogan from non-vegan frozen yogurt chain in the 80's "This can't be yogurt" ? Well this is pretty much the equivalent of that to the gluten-free world. (And of course, it's all vegan as well :) I am just so impressed Petunia's can make such delicious vegan desserts AND all gluten- free!

I would say by far the best gluten-free bakery I have ever been to, but furthermore I would say this very well could be the best vegan bakery I have had.

YUMMMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Her baked goods are sold at People's Co-op, Food Fight, and many other places throughout Portland. So very glad she opened this walk-in bakery. I went a few days after the grand opening and got a chance to try some cakes and cupcakes that I had never tried before at the other places. Great atmosphere! Great service! The only complaint is a tad pricey. (not way off the charts expensive though- and like I said " T.C.B.G.F." O:) !!!!

Pros: delicious vegan treats, gluten free , good service

Cons: just a tad little pricey, i wish it was organic

Return to Portland Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Petunia's Pies and Pastries closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2997 times since Mar 2013.