Petunia's Pies and Pastries

Contact 503-841-5961

610 SW 12th Ave, Portland, Oregon, USA, 97205

Est. 2013, this is a gluten-free bakery; all vegan except for optional honey in some drinks. Serves a small number of savory dishes including grilled sandwiches and breakfast items, however main focus is cakes. Open Mon-Tue 9:00am-7:00pm, Wed 9:00am-8:00pm, Thu 9:00am-9:00pm, Fri-Sat 9:00am-10:00pm, Sun 9:00am-7:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, American, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Bakery

First Review by heathera75

Vegan GF Heavenly Bakery - Edit

Just when I think the vegan scene in Portland can't get any better, I discover Petunia's incredible bakery. Gorgeous cakes, pies, and pastries that just happen to be vegan and gluten free. These are creations that you can take home to your non vegan friends and they will be very happy!! I think my favorite offering is the Bumbleberry Pie, with several diffentbkinds of berries plus peaches. We took the pumpkin cheesecake to a Christmas gathering and it was gobbled up. The special cranberry pear pie was also fantastic. My wife, who is GF, enjoyed the first bagel that she has had in a long time. HIghly recommended!

Pros: 100% vegan AND gluten free, excellent quality, amazing selection of baked goods

Cons: none!

Has potential - Edit

We went for breakfast midweek only to find that most of the breakfast items are only available on weekends. So we had a bagel which was nothing special. They burnt my coffee so it was pretty undrinkable. My husbands coffee was fine though. I did have a cupcake which was lovely. Would go back again on the weekend to try other things. If my one cupcake was anything to go by, I would definitely recommend the cakes.

Pros: Yummy cakes

Cons: Boring mid week breakfast options

The cakes! - Edit

We were hungry and saw that this place was near us. We both had a main meal and shared a cake. The cake piece was huge! All of it was tasty but especially the cake. They were friendly too.
There were quite a few tables inside.
We would have gone more than twice (or was it three times!) but there was so much food to try in Portland. It was a difficult decision!

Petunia's cake and pot pie - Edit

This place was great. We ordered vegetable pot pie which came with small salad and beet salad. For dessert we had chocolate layer cake which my husband and I shared for 3 days after. Everything was gluten free and vegan.

Pros: Excellent food, Gluten free and vegan, Great staff

Cons: They are a bakery so no table service.

Vegan delicious - Edit

Found Petunia's booth at Saturday Portland Farmers Market at Portland State University. Talk about vegan deliciousness in baked goods! Gluten-free, too. Everything looked & sampled so good. Glad they take credit cards so I could indulge in their moist, soft, flavorful cream cheese and vanilla cream cinnamon rolls, millionaire bar, blueberry buckle coffee cake & peanut butter crispy bar. Looking forward to visiting the restaurant on my next trip to the area to sample their savory pastries.
Service was friendly, knowledgeable, even in the farmers market environment surrounded by lots of non-vegan vendors. Convenient, being at the market. Affordable, though I overheard someone complain about pricing. As a vegan home cook, good ingredients don't come cheap. Add in the skill level, and the pricing is right on.

Pros: Delicious vegan baked goods, Gluten free, Friendly knowledgeable service

amazing little place! - Edit

Had a good meal here. We had the pumpkin/rice bowl and the Mac and cheese. The Mac and cheese was a little oily but delicious. The bowl was amazing. Had pie and icecream for dessert. Great little place which is very stylish and it's always great to have a fully vegan bakery. Wish we could have eaten there again.

Highly recommend - Edit

This place is great for picking up a couple sweet treats. Slightly spendy, but you're paying for good quality food. They have a small food menu as well, and I've been impressed with it so far. Go here!

Love - Edit

I love Petunia's. It is a very cute place, and they have an amazing selection of vegan baked goods (blondies, cookies, cakes with slices as big as your head, etc) that make decision making darn near impossible. I especially enjoy their ice cream sundaes however. Most recently I had a sundae with a scoop of cappuccino and a scoop of vanilla, topped with caramel sauce, white choc. chips, and salted caramel cookie. It was heaven. In addition to the sweet stuff they do savory food. It is not as exciting as their other items, but all perfectly fine. Their mac and cheese is quite good and the bbq bowl is tasty. I will continue to hit up Petunia's every time I'm in Portland, probably more than once.

Pros: Vegan sundaes, Huge baked goods selection, Savory food as well

Sensational - Edit

This was an amazing place. We had the turtle cheesecake, which might well be the best vegan cheesecake we've ever eaten. The pecan bun was also excellent.

We loved Petunia's so much we went back two days later... and the staff remembered my name, which was lovely. We had the fruit compote waffles for brunch and they were excellent.

The displays are also really beautiful. If only we'd had time to sample everything!

Decadent!! - Edit

Wow. Just wow. My only disappointment was that I didn't realize until it was too late that they had a savory menu.

My husband has a sweet tooth that can rival an 8 year old, so naturally we had to come by here on a recent trip to Portland for some breakfast pastries. Everything looked amazing and to be honest, I can't even remember everything we ordered, just that it was all absolutely perfect with our morning coffee the next day. A must-stop for any traveling or local vegan!

Delicious and fresh exciting vegan gf baking - Edit

If you haven't noticed, gluten free is everywhere. It is becoming more popular than ever, but vegan and gluten free baked goods are challenging to follow with this trend. Petunia's transforms that notion from inedible and impossible to delicious dreams incarnate.

Some of the items are very sweet, and if you don't like frosting, either avoid the cakes or remove some. The cake texture is not bad for gluten free. The cheesecakes, however, are wonderful. They are creamier and more pie-like in consistency, but that's ok by me. The price tag is high, but it costs to make this stuff!

The cookies are exciting combinations of sandwiches in mint, chocolate chip filled teases, as I would prefer the cookies alone. The bars look bountiful in ingredients, but the texture leaves something to be desired. The quick breads are passable and have a good selection, which is rare for gluten free! Among a few other items, I also heart the Salt and Straw ice cream with Petunia's salted caramel bar chunks- it is awesome and generous in serving size. The crowning glory though, and with a price tag to match, is the doughnuts. So gosh darned good! Amazing how they are gluten free! Best gf vegan doughnuts this side of reality!

They also have beer and espresso drinks, wine and soda. In too of that, they now have brekkie, lunch and dinner. It's really quite incredible. People are very happy here when eating the Mac n cheese, pot pie, waffles or spinach lasagna. The savory foods are good, but not great. However, I appreciate that they are full service for just about any portion of a day's dining experience. The waffle is delightful with the fruit compote- very generously topped.

Pros: All vegan and gluten free, Hours , Savory and sweet

Cons: Prices, Long waits possible

Good for GF vegans - Edit

Everything here is vegan AND gluten-free. They had a wide selection of baked goods and savory items, but I only got to try two things—the turtle cheesecake and the buster bar. Both were just okay, definitely looked better than they tasted, which was a bit disappointing. I'm not sure what the "cheese" filling was made of in the cheesecake; it had a nice texture but really didn't taste like much. The chocolate crust was quite good though. The buster bar had three layers—a peanut butter cookie crust, a middle layer of peanut butter cream, and chocolate ganache icing as the finish. It was pretty sweet, too much for me that I could only take two bites. But then again I don't have the biggest sweet tooth.

Prices were high: cakes were around $8 per slice while the smaller items started at $3. The convenient downtown location was probably also a factor in this. If you are a GF vegan and love your sweets, this place is for you.

Pros: selection, location

Cons: pricey, too sweet

AMAZING CAKES!!! - Edit

I'm allergic to dairy and egg so my choice of sweet food/pudding is usually fruit. Using happycow I decided trying this place while visiting Portland.
There was an amazing choice of both savoury and sweet food and it was delicious !! Defiantly worth a try for anyone herbivore or carnivore. According to my family (who I went with) it doesn't taste vegan/healthy it just taste delicious!

Pros: Huge Choice, Delicious, Good Service

Cons: Bit Pricey

Return to Portland Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Petunia's Pies and Pastries closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.