Petra Shawarma

482 New North Rd, Auckland, New Zealand, 1352

Serves meat, vegan options available. Simple place. Menu shows a list of vegetarian platters, a couple of which are vegan suitable but not labeled - ask. Several starters/sides are also vegan suitable.

Categories: Take-out, Middle Eastern, Jordanian, Arabic, Non-veg

First Review by magicalprincess666

Best baba ganoush - Edit

Petra Shawarma is the real deal. Authentic Middle eastern food - so fresh. The flavours were spot on. Best baba ganoush I've ever had in NZ. The staff are very helpful and made excellent menu recommendations. They understand vegan and the menu is clearly labelled. Loved the felafel but the cauliflower salad was outstanding. I'm not a big cauliflower person but this made me rethink my cauliflower antipathy.
We were served promptly.

Pros: Great staff, Many vegan options, Authentic Middle Eastern food

Finally, a worthy falafal laffa - Edit

Auckland is not the best city in the world for Middle Eastern food. The falafal is not fresh, the bread is stale, etc. Needless to say, it's been a rough year.

Enter Petra Shawarma. It was a good sign when I got into a big chat with the lady who runs the place. She is warm and friendly and made me feel right at home. She pointed me to a seat, and down I sat, and waited, and waited, and waited... But it was worth the wait. So worth the wait.

The hummas was creamy, thick, and delicious, garnished with paprika. I watched as the falafal were fried, and so they were warm as they should be. Crispy on the outside and melt-on-your-tongue soft on the inside. The aubergine was cooked to that gooey consistency and the salad complimented the entire experience. The bread was not the best, but it certainly was not the worst I've ever had.

In summary, go there. And go there now!

Pros: Hummus, Falafal, Friendly

Cons: Non-vegetarian

Vegetarian Friendly Jordanian - Edit

Petra Shawarma is 'vegetarian friendly'. However there is meat on the menu.

The sisters who run the place are vegetarian and there is a vegetarian menu there, of which about 3/4 of the items are vegan.

They are very accommodating to dietary requirements and if you dont mind the wait - (they make everything from scratch even though its not always logical to do so) their food is some of the freshest and best Ive ever eaten in Auckland.

Pros: food, friendly service

Cons: serves meat, service is slow

Return to Auckland Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Petra Shawarma closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.