Pepples Donut Farm

Contact n/a

6037 San Pablo Ave, Oakland, California, USA, 94608

All vegan bakery making donuts from organic ingredients. Also serves coffee and lunch food plus vegan brunch on weekends which features an assortment of pancakes. Previously named People's Donuts. Open Tue-Fri 7:30am-3:00pm, Sat-Sun 9:00am-2:30pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Take-out, Bakery

First Review by xsamx

My Go-to Eat Place - Edit

Pepples is it for me. From my first visit a year or so ago I felt it was fantastic. Menu selection is fair and there used to be specials but haven't noticed lately. In the year I'm going i haven't grown tired. Donuts are adventurous flavors. What i like best: all vegan. No stressing on what to order. Coconut creamer with yo coffee. Waitstaff works for me. Atmosphere as well. Its low key and I like. I don't think I fit in with the demographic but always feel welcome. A big reason I prefer Pepples over that other vegan place on that street that starts with 'Pied'. Pepples is also on my side of town. My best vegan eats.
Updated from previous review on Sunday November 02, 2014

Updated from previous review on Wednesday February 03, 2016

Updated from previous review on 2016-02-04

Amazing flavors! - Edit

I just loooove their lemon poppyseed donut! Their other flavors are also very good. Their winter specials include poutine, which is really nice to find outside of Canada. It isn't complete though, you have to order it with Daiya to get the whole poutine experience. The biscuits and gravy are wonderful as well!

Pros: Delicious , Good portions

Cons: Long wait

Good comfort food - Edit

Delicious take out brunch. Excellent chickn & waffles smothered in a smooth onion mushroom gravy, though syrup was also offered. My thinking - savory comfort food. The donuts for later will take care of the sweet side, and they did!
Lightly battered tender chickn cutlets served over tasty waffles. Well seasoned gravy, just a bit salty for me, yet still good and I'd order it again.
Can't comment on inside, yet, since I've not been in. Was busy on the street with available parking couple blocks away, & my toddler grandson fell asleep in the car. Not wanting to wake him, I pulled into loading zone, called inside, explained my situation & asked if I could place takeout order, have someone bring it out to me & I'd pay cash. Very friendly, helpful young man named Ryan said "sure," and suggested what was good, which it was.
Will update review when I can eat Pepples food again.
Went back to dine in! Adding this to my list of places to dine regularly when visiting Cali Bay Area. The Pepples scramble is very good, as are chicken & waffles with syrup according to my dining partner. Small, yet accommodating interior. Cute, clean. Very knowledgeable, friendly staff.

Updated from previous review on 2016-10-12

Pros: 100% vegan comfort food, Friendly knowledgable staff, Moderate prices

Cons: On street parking in busy area

Eat what you like - Edit

The neon VEGAN sign in window is bigger than the Donut Farm sign...says it all...eat what you like w/ no worries. I like that.

We just had take out donuts for a party, so commenting only on that. The eat-in crowd seemed happy and well fed at a glance.

Staff was really nice and helpful. The mohawk gentleman tolerated my mom asking if she could touch his mohawk...he was very kind to her. I appreciated that.

Donut flavors are wide and varied. It seemed like the flavor was mostly in the sugar glaze vs. in the cake donut itself. The heavy glaze made them cloyingly sweet, which is a bit much for me. I chipped a lot of it off and lost much of the flavor. Seems like a missed opportunity to deliver flavor in the cake component.

They also have the raised type donuts, banana fritters, cinnamon rolls and twists, plain. Didn't try those but looked fab!

Pros: No-worries eating, Variety of donuts

Cons: Too heavy glazing

Do yall NOT know how to answer your phone??? - Edit

I can't tell you how many times I've called to see if I left something there. Absolutely ridiculous. Also, and not to be a douche, but the smaller white chick has a stuck up attitude and can hardly smile while working. Every time I go there she doesn't seem happy. She also had a bad attitude when we had an order of hashbrows that almost didn't get paid for, thanks to her kinder coworker who didnt put put the order of hashbrowns where it belonged on the recipt. Not good for overall customer satisfaction. Donuts and food are good, but her lack of positive personality and respect REEKS in that joint. All 4 of my friends highly agree that that chick needs to reevaluate how she comes off to people. Where's the boss at??

Pros: At least the chef whips up some good food. I wish

Cons: not the most friendly employees

cool but bad - Edit

the doughnut is now the new cupcake, here's another place taking advantage of it. the doughnuts aren't special like what I've had in NY @Doughnut Plant

Pros: all vegan

Cons: lower quality with the perception of gourmet

Vegan treasure , home sweet sweet home!!! - Edit

I am so happy to find this place!!! It is a rare treasure in the Bay Area. It reminds me of places in Oregon and Washington...vegan comfort food with a punk-rock edge, nice people and sugary treats. I am at Home!

So the donuts are really good. If you like that sort of thing. Today I ate 3,and will probably avoid this place for awhile because I don't have a lot of willpower here! I would recommend the blueberry and the earl grey lavender. Unfortunately the flavor is just in the frosting. The donuts all kinda seem the same.....pillowy cakey fried goodness! But yes they are gooooooood.
I also had the biscuits and gravy and it was delish. The portion was not huge but the gravy was good and I like that it came with greens. I also had the tempeh bacon which was also yummy, but for just a few pieces for $4 I probably wouldn't order it again.
YAYYYY for this place! I am excited to come back and try the other items for vegan brunch and I am pretty sure I will not be able to resist a donut!

Delicious Donuts! - Edit

The place is very cute and friendly, and the staff is very kind and friendly as well. We got 4 donuts, all of which tasted very good. My favorite was the vanilla sprinkle. I would definitely come back for some awesome vegan donuts and maybe stop in for a meal as well.

meh. great donuts but lousy brunch - Edit

Love the donuts but I don't usually get any of the other food. Brunch is really unimpressive. Lunch is a little better. Service is not fabulous. This place is a madhouse on weekends and people wait an hour for seats. Not worth the wait.

go for breakfast - Edit

this is a place you might not visit if you were just driving by. the building is non-descript, or rather a bit unappealing to view from the outside. inside is a warm open space, with a showcase of donuts and a fine breakfast and lunch menu.

my daughter and i had the corn meal waffle and the pesto tofu scramble, both were delicious. the menu is creative and 100% vegan. the coffee was acidic and folgers-like. the donut bakers were cool and friendly and the young woman who served us and worked the counter was friendly and efficient. nothing inside the store struck me as hyper-clean, but it was easy to see where your food was coming from. the bathroom was very clean.

we took home a dozen donuts for $25. for that price you get 4 "top-shelf" donuts and 8 "bottom shelf" donuts. the donuts themselves were a 10 for creativity of flavor and for being vegan. the taste however, was on a lower scale: all the flavoring is in the icing, and those flavors were predominately sweet and sugary (i know its a donut, but why call it Earl Grey, or Lavender, or Orange and cream if it only tastes of sugar?) frosting would concentrate the flavors some, but probably add to the sweetness. the cake of the donut was good, but a little too cooking-oil tasting.

the vegan donut is a rarity, so Pepples stands pretty much alone there in the bay area. i would gladly take these donuts to a party or an event just to showcase how even a favorite treat can be made vegan, but would of course expect anyone there to compare it to a conventional donut. its not a fair comparison. its a hand made cruelty free cake of goodness, and therefore pepples wins, and i win with them.

Pros: easy to get to, young friendly staff, clean bathroom

Cons: moderately expensive, the signature food is just okay

Yin+yang: Punk rock brunch, gourmet artisan donuts - Edit

Our first visit to Pepples was a study in complementary contrasts. The music was hardcore and the servers were gentle, helpful, and warm. The brunch plates we ordered were uber-healthy and the donuts are sweet indulgences.

But all the pieces come together: the kale balances the sugar, everything was very tasty, and the whole experience was great.

We're super impressed with the creativity in the kitchen. There are some donuts worth traveling from afar to try. And the jackfruit "carnitas" were exceptionally good.

So, don't let the "donut farm" moniker fool you: There's plenty of salubrious savory cuisine at Pepple's, and it does not disappoint. But, yeah, the donuts are awesome.

We'll certainly return.

Pros: very creative, mix of donuts and healthy savory food, all vegan

Return to Oakland Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Pepples Donut Farm closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.