Pepper Tree Veggie Cuisine

• Friend
713-621-9488

3821 Richmond Ave (at Weslayan, near Kirby district), Houston, Texas, USA, 77027

Vegetarian Chinese cuisine restaurant. Features an extensive, all vegan buffet with an array of freshly cooked dishes. Or choose soup and salad. Has an a la carte menu as well. Vegan desserts available. Open Tue-Fri 11:00am-3:00pm, Tue-Fri 5:00pm-9:00pm, Sat-Sun 11:30am-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan, Chinese, Buffet, Salad bar, Take-out, Asian

First Review by pjw2000

Great food and friendly staff - Edit

Pepper Tree has become my favorite place in Houston. 100% vegan and 100% delicious.
The buffet is really awesome. It's great to have a buffet where you as a vegan can take whatever looks tasty without having to worry about animal product content.
I'd highly recommend it to anyone, vegan or not!

Pros: All vegan, Buffet, Friendly staff

Delicious vegan Chinese - Edit

This place is completely understated. It's in a little strip mall next to Chipotle across the road from Costco. The food is entirely plant based and delicious. You can choose between a buffer or order a la carte. They have a great website. The couple who owns the restaurant is seems just wonderful. I love that they are sharing their culture's food in a plant based form. Such a nice example of how unnecessary animal products are for uncompromised taste.

Awesome buffet - Edit

The good here was fresh, delicious, and had great flavor. A quality place and most importantly 100% vegan!

Delicious buffet - Edit

I love going here for the buffet, the food is good, it's not too expensive & the staff is very nice

Pros: Good quality, Not expensive

Cons: Small, Not a huge variety of food

Love the buffet - Edit

Love the option of a buffet. Delicious and tasty.

Updated from previous review on 2016-09-28

Pros: Buffet

Cons: Buffet only available during lunch and weekends

Pepper Tree is wonderful - Edit

I have had both takeout and the buffet from Pepper Tree. I always enjoy the taste and quality of the food. The buffet is worth the price! Vegans and non-vegans would love this.

Updated from previous review on 2016-08-12

Pros: Vegan, Buffet good value, Clean

Cons: PARKING lot , Greasy

Very Nice and Tasty - Edit

I had this takeout style once and it was great. I had the lo mein with vegetables and the veggie dumplings. It was great and tasty, they offer very nice choices. Someday I will try the buffet. That is on my to-do list definitely.

Pros: Variety, Taste

Awesome place to eat - Edit

One of my favorite place to eat, especially on the weekends when they do their buffet. It's great going to a place where I don't have to worry about the food, make inquiries and watch to make sure what they serve is vegan.

Pros: great food, friendly staff, pleasant atmosphere

Cons: Parking lot is always full

tasty, mostly healthy buffet - all you can eat - Edit

The salad buffet is pretty good, every veggie tasted fresh and the place was simple and clean. I paid $11.99 + tax for my buffet and proceeded to gorge myself.

I really liked the dumplings and the fried sesame balls. The plant-based meats were pretty tasty too.

Bountiful buffet - Edit

Best Asian Fusion buffet around! Begin with salad fixings, fresh lettuces including darker greens, spinach, kale, peppers, onions, mushrooms, olives, chopped vegetables & fruit, add a good choice of dressings. Steamed and fried rice, pakora, mock meats. Excellent flavorful vegetable dishes, steamed eggplant, squashes, spring rolls. Miso, "egg" drop and vegetable broths/soups. Desserts, which I seldom try since I've filled up on the veggies. There is also a menu to order from that includes most of the buffet items. Very affordable prices.
In a busy strip center of restaurants so parking can be tight.

Pros: Best Asian fusion buffet, Affordable prices, Very friendly staff

Cons: Parking tight, Closes midday, Buffet not available on weekends

one of my favorites - Edit

I absolutely love this place. especially their buffet. the buffet has a little more choices on the weekends and cost a little more on weekends. Buffet has a nice salad and fruit bar, some sweets and lots of steamed and fried veggies that are to die for. you can also get fresh fruit juices. i find that nice, because usually you get only sodas and ice tea around here. they do have an à la carte menu, but I must say that I have problems to make a choice from there. there are no pictures and the dish names are Taiwanese if I am not wrong (I might be wrong). from the descriptions I do not really understand what to expect from the dish, but that is a user issue. the staff can also be sometimes a bit strange. maybe super shy. not unfriendly by any means. the owners are usually there and always super nice and more outgoing. they are closed on Mondays and around lunch time it is always hard to find a parking space. so come a little earlier or later. they are also quite full around lunch.

Pros: buffet and a la carte options, fresh fruits, salad, juices available, many delicious veggie options

Cons: menu needs pictures, parking space limited around lunch

Best Veg Buffet in Houston - Edit

Absolutely love this place. A big, tasty selection of all-vegan Asian-inspired foods. Delicious! My advice - Go for the buffet during the day in the week or at the weekend rather than ordering a la carte. Much more choice :)

Pros: Choice, All-veg, Delicious

Cons: Parking

Fresh, tasty buffet! - Edit

Heard about this place via a google search for vegan friendly restaurants. The buffet is absolutely wonderful - it's a bit on the smaller side but each option I've tried has been full of flavor! It is a great value and I would recommend it to anyone. The staff is extremely friendly and has no problem answering any questions you may have. The vegan coconut cake is an absolute must!

Pros: Friendly staff, Fresh Ingredients, Great value

Buffet Regular! - Edit

Pepper Tree was reccomended to me by my health conscious aunt when I moved to Houston in January and I have been a weekly buffet goer ever since. I will admit, I have only been to the buffet but ever visit is a delightful and delicious experience.

The food is incredible and fresh. I enjoy the buffet because it stays the same so I know what to expect every time I go, however I can see how this might be boring to some.

I would highly recommend Pepper Tree to any vegan in the Houston area!

Pros: Fresh and tasty! , Friendly staff, VEGAN buffet!

Cons: Buffet is only all-day on the weekend

Great place with decent buffet food - Edit

This was one of my favourite spots to eat in Houston. Overall the food quality was pretty good in regards to buffet standards. Due to how delicious much of it was I never felt compelled to try the menu items. There is much variety in their buffet which make it hard to get bored from eating there. I recommend anyone to go here for some cheap and delicious Asian/Chinese food fix. I appreciate that the food actually tasted fresh and well made opposed to those terrible asian buffet places that love to pour lots of salt, grease and soy sauce making you want to throw up after the email. Overall a great restaurant alternative for everyone and the people working are polite and accomodating.

Pros: Excellent Food, Inexpensive, Buffet

Vegan Freedom! - Edit

Loved the freedom to eat the entire buffet spread (if I wanted) without anxiety or fear of eating something non vegan.

Pros: 100% Vegan

Fantastic Vegan Chinese - Edit

We were in Houston for a concert and Pepper Tree was close to the hotel. Dinner was wonderful, tasty and clean. We started with the steamed dumplings, and got 2 combos so we tried the eggrolls, sweet and sour soup, miso soup, kung pao tofu, and another broccoli and tofu dish. All fabulous! I will recommend to my friends and return whenever I can. I'd like to try the buffet some time so I could try everything. The owners served us and were very nice.

Pros: All vegan, so pick anything, Tasty, clean food, Fresh ingredients

Cons: Looks like fast food place but it's not

Return Customer - Edit

I am currently in Houston visiting for a month and recently transitioned over to being a vegetarian.

I must say "The Pepper Tree" was the 1st Vegetarian/Vegan restaurant I visited. My boyfriend is not a vegetarian but the second time we returned was because of him. He was craving the food. Of course I was too!

I love the Pepper Tree! I hope that when I move to Houston one day they will still be around.

Return to Houston Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Pepper Tree Veggie Cuisine closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.