Penny Cluse Cafe

• Veg-friendly
Contact 802-651-8834

169 Cherry St, Burlington, Vermont, USA, 05401

Serves meat, vegan options available. Open for breakfast and lunch. Vegetarian options such as the Reuben (spinach, swiss cheese, sauteed vegetables served on rye with Russian dressing) and the Tofu Randy (marinated tofu with spicy mayonnaise and cheese). Friendly staff - owner takes pride in being generous to the community. Popular with local college students & crowded on weekends.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Non-veg

First Review by

Delicious and a must-visit every time I'm in town. - Edit

I am very surprised to read the poor reviews here on Happy Cow. Penny Cluse is a don't-miss for me every time I visit Burlington, which is about 4 times per year. When we go for brunch my vegan boyfriend and I always order the tofu scram with peanut ginger sauce. We get the toast un-buttered and a fruit plate instead of the potatoes. It may be the only vegan breakfast option, but it's sooooo good. It would be awesome if they'd make the potatoes with oil instead of butter, but they don't.

We are always prepared for a wait. While the staff does seem busy, no one is ever rude. In fact, I find the opposite-- that they are always very friendly. And I've always felt like they've tried to make up for it with speed from the kitchen or free juice if the restaurant is chaotic. By the way, the fresh juice is amazing. We take non-veggies here and they love the food, so if you need a place for brunch for both vegans and non-vegans, this is your place!

Pros: Vegan and vegetarian options., fresh, peanut ginger tofu scram

Cons: Few vegan options., weekend brunch long wait times

Good food, small selection - Edit

Penny Cluse doesn't have a lot to offer for vegans, but every vegan item I've tried has been delicious. I always get the Pineapple Mango Smoothie, the Tofu Scram (sub in a fruit plate for the homefries), and the Marinated Tofu Salad. They occasionally have vegan and vegetarian specials, like the Soba Noodle Salad.

Pros: good food, friendly staff

Cons: a little pricey, small selection, often busy

the bad version of magnolia. - Edit

i don't know why vegans rave about this place - the first (and last) time i went there, there were virtually no vegan options, and very little could be made vegan. i remember the waitress saying that they made their homefries in butter and couldn't use oil instead. also, there are no vegan margarines for your bread like there are at magnolia. this place is really not worth going to if you're vegan (or even vegetarian). also way too busy.

Cons: unaccomodating waitress, few vegan options

It's okay - Edit

Penny Cluse is one of those YAY! they have vegan breakfast places but it is nothing to rave over. The vegan tofu scramble with the ginger peanut sauce is really good and so are the homefries, ect however you should plan on taking a nap after because the food is heavy and greasy ...perfect for a hangover.

Pros: vegan breakfast

Cons: greasy, heavy, not enough vegan options

There's gotta be a better brunch in Burlington - Edit

A local recommended this restaurant. My party and I were sorely disappointed. After a very long wait we received mediocre food, in a loud atmosphere brought to us by a brusque waitress. Maybe it was just a bad day. I won't be back to find out.

Cons: small portions, long wait, brusque staff

overrated - Edit

I read rave reviews about this place so I decided to try breakfast. After an interminable wait, we had breakfast. A very forgetable one, at that. Noisy, small tables, long waits, and overworked watiresses during weekend brunch hour. Thanks, but no thanks. The food just wasn't worth it.

Cons: noisy, small, long wait,

Return to Burlington Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Penny Cluse Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1750 times since Aug 2007.