Penelopes Cakery Deli

03-3653263

32 New Regent St, Christchurch, New Zealand, 8011

Serves meat, vegan options available. Offers changing vegan cakes options, such as carrot cake, bliss balls, key lime tart, chocolate cherry slice; and savory vegan items like baked potato with curry and vegan cheese, pies and sausage rolls. Accepts custom cake orders. Open Mon-Sun 9:00am-4:00pm.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Western, Fast food, Take-out, Bakery, European, Non-veg

First Review by Yolanda

Delicious 'brookie' (brownie/cookie) - Edit

Popped in quickly today and grabbed a 'brookie' on the go. basically it was a cross between a brownie and a cookie! It was super delicious! Not too badly priced. Perfect quick snack on the go.

Pros: delicious 'brookie'

ok - Edit

A few options, was solid but not spectacular. Handy to have as it was near me but wouldn’t go out of my way to come here.

Nice little cafe with tasty light food options... - Edit

A small cafe in a trendy shopping precinct. We called in here for lunch because I really wanted to try the baked potato. They weren't ready for another hour! - Disappointed!
Instead, I had the well-filled toasted sandwich (tasty) and sausage roll with toasted seeds and a small side of greens. It had plenty of flavors and was great too.

The soy shake was too plain - it needed thickening with an icecream and should have been served in glass for dining on-site. Reduce plastic waste.

The slice of brookie was rich and tasty with a nice, light base. The piece of layered carrot cake was moist and really enjoyable with a generous portion being served.

Pros: Moderate pricing., Friendly service., Clean and tidy.

Cons: Baked potatoes should've been available at 12.15., Single-use plastic used to serve the soyshake in.

Pretty lil place - Edit

Came here with a friend and was really happy with the number of vegan options. My friend got soup and I got a soy chocolate milkshake and chickpea curry. The milkshake was not worth the price, was nothing special, really. I did regret that. But the curry! For $4.50 I got a massive portion. It was so beautifully warm and hearty, just what I needed. The lady gave it to me with bread and made sure to tell me the butter was vegan, which I really appreciated. My friend's soup looked super delicious and filling, too. Really pretty interior on a lovely street. Friendly lady who I presumed was the owner. I recommend the food, but I wouldn't get a milkshake again.

Pros: Lots of options, Cosy, Good portion sizes

Cons: Small

Lovely vegan food options in the heart of New Regent St - Edit

New Regent St is a must see for tourists to Christchurch with it's beautiful Spanish Mission inspired buildings, street cafe ambiance and the tram running right through it. It's so great that there is now a lovely cafe here offering excellent vegan options.

We have lunch at Penelope's today and I was very impressed with the many vegan options and not the bog standard vegan options too. We tried a toasted sandwich, a sausage roll and a baked potato (You can choose your own three fillings for the sandwich or the spud) and loved them all. Vegan cheese is $2 extra but it is generously added and worth it.
My favourite was the potato. In my 28 years of veganism, I have never been able to get a filled potato from a mainstream cafe and what was even better was that I could have it with vegan cheese too.
We had strawberry milkshakes to drink (made with vegan ice cream and milk) and for dessert, a brookie. This I have never seen before. It is a slice with a biscuit base, brownie middle and chocolate ganache topping. So right on so many levels. Next time I come I am going to try the raspberry granola slice or maybe the carrot cake.

I highly recommend checking out Penelope's. They have a cake decorating supply shop upstairs as well. The staff are lovely, there is a choice of indoor or outdoor seating and all in all, it is a very civilised way to enjoy a bite and a cup of tea.

Updated from previous review on 2017-08-29

Pros: excellent vegan options, great location for tourists, vegan cheese

Return to Christchurch Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Penelopes Cakery Deli closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.