Peggy's Pantry - Pop-up

• Vegan
Contact n/a

Alington House, 4 North Bailey, Durham, England, DH1 3ET

Not an actual restaurant but an informal pop-up cafe run in a community centre on the first Saturday of each month from 11am-3pm. Rotating menu always includes three mains and a selection of desserts and drinks. Previous menus include the Classic Cafe Burger, dahl, lasagna, nachos, tofu katsu curry, pies etc. All mains are £4. Limited space available. Alington House is accessible via a small step up from street level, plus two more small steps up into the cafe area itself. Email ahead to check menu and availablity: [email protected] Previously named Durham's Vegan Cafe. CLOSED AUG 2016.

Category: Vegan, British, English

First Review by Schulie

Good food, but "too" popular! - Edit

First of all, the desserts are always amazing. No wonder they're always (nearly) sold out when I arrive! We've often had to wait for a table (and we're just two people), but we were told take-out was always an option. I've also tried the seitan steak which was delicious but the chips and salad were perhaps slightly bland (which I'm completely fine with, but just stating it for the record). Nonetheless, the food is ridiculously cheap and delicious - but I'd really appreciate a few extra tables next time!

Pros: Very affordable food, Good quality, Variety of vegan desserts (and delicious)

Cons: Hard to find table / often have to wait for one , Not enough mains sometimes (b/c too popular)

Squeezy does it - Edit

A once a month vegan pop up, we visited for the first time today (my partner is vegetarian, I'm vegan). We didn't get to experience it properly as it was so busy; we didn't want to wait for a table as it was very hot - the cafe is very small so there weren't any free tables when we got there. It's obviously popular as there were people queuing outside for tables. We could get cheeseburgers to takeaway (the other dishes, nachos and seitan steak, couldn't be taken out) and they were tasty. We got 3 different cakes to eat at home and they were as good as they looked! I think the food would have been better if we could have sat down and had the full works (normally there'd be salad and stuff) but never mind!
It had been open for about an hour when we arrived and the chocolate cake was almost gone, so I think it's a toss up between getting in quick and waiting til the lunchtime rush finishes!

Pros: All vegan, some gluten free, Reasonably priced (£4 for all mains), Should be appealing to non veggie companions

Cons: Be prepared to wait for a table

Return to Durham Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Peggy's Pantry - Pop-up closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1966 times since Jul 2013.