CLOSED: Peace Cafe

Contact 415-864-1978

1665 Haight St (at inside Red Victorian B&B, Upper Haight Ashbury), San Francisco, California, USA, 94117

Serves meat, vegan options available. Formerly all veg, but no longer since 2008. The simple food menu offers some breakfast food, tamales, quiche, beverages, and sweets. Casual laid-back vibe with large round tables. On the ground floor of the Red Victorian historical B&B. AUG 2015 REPORTED SHUT, PHONE NOT WORKING. Mon-Sun 11:00am-7:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, Non-veg

First Review by Baza

Comment - Edit

I had read about this place on HappyCow and decided to stop in and check it out this week. Here's my Peace Cafe commentary, not really a review.

It's a historical building/landmark kind of place, located on Haight Street where there tend to be lots of street kids and wanderers hanging out on the sidewalk.

On the night I visited and was looking forward to get a light bite or a warm soup, I was told that the cafe had closed just before I got there... too bad. I did get to go inside and look at the menu and the wall art.

I felt a bit underwhelmed and even slightly disappointed. On the menu were dishes like eggs and cheese with bacon. The man at the front had told me that the Peace hotel/Red Victorian philosophy was about promoting peace. Well, serving bacon didn't sound like peace to me.

Also the space is a bit older and out-dated, definitely more like a coffee house than a cafe/restaurant -- could use a re-fresh or remodel.

On the positive side, there are some Veg items on the menu which are all marked. So that's good to know.

Hip style vege food - Edit

The vege lasagne was excellent! Right in the Haight, i'd recommend doing the city's walking tour of Haight/Ashbury and then eating here.

The owner is sweet, but the politics are supra left wing. i held my [centrist] tongue and enjoyed the food despite the pacifist hogwash.

There's a bed and breakfast upstairs too...it's all set in a historical home.

Good - Edit

I only live 3 blocks away so I sometimes stop in after shopping to pick up a cookie or a smoothie if im hungry. The food is good but nothing out of this world. Very nice people and nice place to sit if you just want to talk to someone. Also the menu has marks right next to the meal items that can be veganized or are vegan.

nice name - Edit

I liked the `sit here if your want conversation` table. The person who served me was unsure if the food was vegan or not. I had the $2.50 value $7 panini. It was okay. There were no other options.

Pros: nice atmosphere, nice art, cool location

Cons: limited menu, untrained staff, expensive

Return to San Francisco Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Peace Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1335 times since Aug 2007.