Pavlov's Duck

( 1 review )

401 Smith St, Fitzroy, Victoria, 3065

Serves meat, vegan options available. Has a menu offering vegan, vegetarian, as well raw. Eclectic vibe akin to the city itself. Located in the Smith Street outlet shop strip. Change of management in 2014. Open Mon-Fri 7:00am-4:00pm, Sat 8:00am-5:00pm, Sun 8:30am-4:30pm.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, Western, Delivery, Non-veg

1 Review

First Review by Tiggy

Cool space, disappointing food - Edit

I'd been looking forward to checking this place out and we finally got there today. It's in a great warehousey/industrial-style space with heaps of room and an interesting layout. We arrived at a busy time so it was counter service and pay up front, but I'm not sure if this applies all the time. We weren't that hungry, so we shared a Big Vegan Breakfast and ordered two large (fairtrade) soy flat whites. The Sensory Lab coffee was great and served in studiously mismatched mugs and saucers - in keeping with the rustic furniture. After a minor mixup with our order (it was around 1:30pm and busy) the breakfast arrived. Now, I don't have huge expectations of vegan breakfasts: they're fairly standard. However, this breakfast was particularly disappointing and not that big. There was the the usual avocado, mushroom, two pieces of bread (untoasted), capsicum and spinach. The baked beans were sugar-sweet and to top it off there was a couple of piddly squares of soft tofu (neither grilled as the menu stated or prepared in any interesting way). For $19 I didn't really think this was good enough. However, the staff were friendly and the atmosphere interesting enough to tempt me back to try some other vegan options another time. I ended up returning the next day and when I liked at the menu, I realised there wasn't really as much that was vegan as I had thought. I asked and the pancakes were not vegan/isable . My partner ordered the smashed avocado, which was OK (and on toasted bread). Because i fidnt eant a whole plate of the sweet beans I gave the Big Vegan Breakfast another try. This time there was no tofu at all, but they had doubled the mushroom and tomato. Still disappointing. I'll come back for coffee but not for food.

Pros: Large space with interesting decor, Fairtrade coffee

Cons: Disappointing and overpriced vegan breakfast

Return to Fitzroy Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Pavlov's Duck closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.