Passion for Food

Contact 0477-401714

Philipstockstraat 39, Bruges, Belgium,

Serves meat, vegan options available. Lunch and dinner restaurant with a few vegetarian salads (including a pasta and a Mediterranean salad), at least two soups, and a vegan tajine. The owner makes sure that the vegetarian dishes are nutritionally balanced (proteins, carbs, etc).

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Mediterranean, Egyptian, Non-veg

First Review by magnolily

Wonderful meal - Edit

We found this place due to it having vegetarian options. We are vegan, and the owner/operator of the restaurant happily accommodated us. We had two wonderful vegan soups and the main dish was a nice surprise. Very tasty and healthy! We asked him about life in Bruges and he was happy to converse with us. We highly recommend Passion For Food. We will go back the next time we are in Bruges.

Pros: Excellent food, Great value, Vegan friendly

Super friendly guy and delicious food - Edit

We were here last winter and the both the carrot (?) soup and (vegan) vegetable tajine were delicious. The latter had surprisingly many different ingredients (if remembered correctly: aubergine, potato, parsnip, stewed pear, potato, carrots, tomato, with wheat and lentils on the bottom). The staff/owner was super nice. He treated free guava fruit juices.

Pros: friendly staff, excellent food, nice vibe

Lovely - Edit

I went with a meat eating friend and had such a lovely meal. The owner helped me out with the vegan items there 3 soups to start and a vegan tagine. The tagine was delicious and so filling, such good service as well! Definitely worth a visit.

Pros: Amazing service & food

Cons: Not that many options but they have a small menu a

Completely Delicious! - Edit

After so much fried nonsense, this place is a godsend! So friendly, the vegan tajine was one of the most delicious, and nutritious things I've eaten in a while! I wasn't expecting it to be quite as tasty as it was, and it was so filling. My belly was very happy and satisfied! I would definitely eat here regularly.

Pros: Nutritious, Delicious, Location

Few but good vegan dishes! - Edit

We tried this place for a dinner and are in line with previous reviews. The staff is really friendly, helpful and cares for vegans. We said we were vegans and he showed us what are the vegan dishes on the menu. We took a small salad with wheat and a ginger sauce and a red lentil soup as a starter and the vegan tajine as the main course. Every of them was tasty and full of flavours. We paid 46 euros for all this (two people) and two drinks which makes this restaurant not cheap but at least not too expensive. Note that portions of the tajine are generous. We recommend this place to vegans in Bruges!

Pros: good food, generous portions, very friendly staff, care for vegans, pleasant place

Cons: few vegan options

Delicious - Edit

The food was very, very good - we had the vegan tajine and the vegetarian couscous (its made with butter). But the lentil-soup was just perfect. The owner was very nice, also to our small children. It would definitely be 5 cows if it was a complete vegetatian restaurant.

Pros: excellent food, very friendly staff

Wonderful - Edit

This was such a breath of fresh air in Bruges (& Belgium in general). I was so sick of having pizza & pasta as my only vegetarian options in most of Belgium (There were fancy vegetarian restaurants that I came across, but I was on a budget and definitely couldn't afford them!). When I came across this restaurant I was so happy! I had the special of the day, and it was absolutely delicious. The owner was so friendly and catered to every special request my friend and I made. There wasn't a huge variety of vegetarian dishes, but the dishes that were on the menu all sounded really great. My friend was really happy with her meat dish as well. Overall a great place. Go check it out!
Updated from previous review on Tuesday July 15, 2014

It Hit the Spot - Edit

I'm a low-oil vegan, had the vegetable special and was totally pleased and satisfied with all aspects of my experience at Passion for Food. I'd give it five stars were I not prevented from doing so by Happy Cow cause it's not a vegetarian restaurant.

Pros: Sherif,the waiter/owner and his wife Zahira, the c

I agree with the above reviews - Edit

Sherif (server) and Zahira (cook) are a great combo! Just bring cash. I just want to add: If you flash a credit card, Sherif will send you out looking for an ATM machine. I now know where they are after searching in the rain for 20 minutes to find one.

Pros: Generous portions, Multiple veg. choices, Friendly service (owner)

Cons: Cash only, Not many tables

Great option for Vegansin Brugge - Edit

I would definitely recommend this restaurant to hungry vegans. The owner is delightfully kind and thoughtful. He feels personally responsible for making you a “complete meal” that includes all dietary requirements — especially protein. The stew-like dish that he prepared for me included root vegetables, chickpeas and lentils and it was delicious. At my request, he even prepared a special hummus for me despite not having it on the menu. My colleagues were quite satisfied (meat eaters) with their options, and we all agreed that this was the best meal of our time in Brugge.

Pros: Excellent food, Great portions, Great service

Cons: Limited selection

We really enjoyed eating at Passion for Food - Edit

We ate at Passion for Food on a week day evening (a plus in itself as some vegetarian (friendly) places in Bruges only open during the day). The proprietor was very friendly, but not intrusive. Although the restaurant is not vegetarian he definitely understood being vege. I had vegetarian cous-cous and my girlfriend the recommended special. Both were excellent and very generously sized (despite the special being described as small!). The establishment itself was bright, comfortable and very clean. I'm not sure why we walked past the first time when looking for it - I think the sign in the window might be quite small. As a hint, there is a brightly lit shop (looks like a chemist in my picture) next door to the left. Very much recommended.

Pros: Food quality, Friendly, Open in the evening

Delicious food - Edit

This is a nice place with a lovely small inner garden. I am vegan and I had a Black Lentil Soup which was really delicious and than for the main dish the owner suggested me to try the Veggie Special. It was very very delicious and I got full completely although it doesn't make your stomach heavy. It tastes healthy, too.
The owner is really kind, he is not pushy but he is very friendly and a good conversation partner. We were talking about nutrition and health.

Pros: Delicious, excellent food, Reasonable price, good value, Friendly staff

Return to Bruges Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Passion for Food closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4449 times since Nov 2010.