First Review by

Eat Here! Die Happy! - Edit

Having eaten at literally hundreds of Indian restaurants all over North America, I can't remember ever having such wonderful food as at Passage To India in Wichita, Ks of all places.

Anytime I know I am heading through Wichita my mouth starts to water and I start to fixate on the wonderful favors I will soon be eating. My journey with Indian food began in my early 20s... My oldest daughters first "ethnic food" was Indian food. Both of them continue to think of passage to India as their favorite food...

How to begin? The most simple pleasures are always an excellent way to begin your emotional connection... A smile... A simple piece of bread... Nan... Imagine every bite of bread you eat as being baked just for you... Prepared in an 800°F wood fired charcoal clay oven (tandoor).

A warm cup of intricate Chai Masala or a frozen Mango lassi

Next imagine delicate puff pastries filled with savory potatoes onions and peas and spice... Complex yet simple and familiar... Drizzle home made sweet tamarind fruit or spicy mint and yoghurt chutneys. (I recommend a mix of both)

Next the main course.

For the carnivore - for the food adventurous might I suggest lamb Karachi or goat roganjosh... But for the most luxurious luscious delectable (I could go on) order the Chicken Tiki Masala... Order it spicy or mild, and your mouth will thank you, and kindly request more and more...

Vegetarians?? Navaratan Korma... "9 gems" might just convert me from carnivorism to vegetarianism... If that doesn't then the palak paneer certainly will...

Desert? Yes please! "I'll have more chicken tiki masala, and an order of garlic naan!"

Passage to India: First Impression - Edit

Cons: I detected none. I must preface this review, however, with 3 important factors that shaped my experience:
1) I have eaten at Passage to India only once
2) I ate in the early evening on a weeknight
3) I visited as a vegetarian - so maybe I should leave a second review based on a vegan perspective!

Pros:
I enjoyed the relaxing ambient lighting and spacious, comfortable booth seating. The waiter acted professional. I found them polite and hands-off (we concentrated mostly on the buffet), which I prefer to hovering waitstaff. As for the food offerings, the omnivore and I found satisfaction with the selection! I adore curry and also like to eat light and low-calorie, whereas my date for the evening likes heavy, meaty foods. The fact that we both enjoyed ourselves suggests its versatility as a dining establishment. Overall, I would recommend dining there and believe that it would work for a date, business meeting, and family gathering place (though I did not pay any attention to whether they had child friendly - I mean, bland and generic - options).

Pros: wide selection, professional setting, spicy options

Impressive - Edit

On my first visit, the manager told me that since everything is made fresh to order, they can leave cream out of all their veggie entrees! Tasty, authentic food, great service, and awesome wine & mixed drink prices. Try the lychee & vodka!

Pros: Vegan baignan bartha, Fast, friendly service, Good drink prices

Passage to India is Great! - Edit

Passage to India is one of my favorite restaurants in Wichita, Kansas, and usually I order the Paneer Palak Masala (#48). At lunch time they also have a buffet, if you are a person who likes buffets. One time my husband and I tried the Indian Restaurant across the street and couldn't eat the food so we left after paying and went and got some real food. Thai food is much different from Indian food, and I do not understand any comparison between the two types of food.

Pros: EXCELLENT FOOD, Kham (pronouned "Cam") is great!

Cons: Mpme

Go Across the Street!! - Edit

I had a spicy curry craving and when I went to this restaurant it was closed and when I was pulling out of the parking lot spotted another Indian restaurant on the other side of 21st street, and that was right next to a Thai restaurant. I had a few days in Whichita and got to try out all three establishments and found the Thai food to be the best prepared and most satifying, and the Indian food on the south side of the street better than "Passage to India"

Pros: dark and warm

Cons: not alot of veg dishes in lunch buffet

Return to Wichita Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Passage to India closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1325 times since Aug 2007.