• Papirica

Delivery
Take-out
Honey
Non-veg

Serves meat, vegan options available. Small Japanese restaurant serving homestyle food, specialising in Osaka okonomiyaki. Vegan options include an okonomiyaki, an eggplant sando, a curry and mapo tofu, as well as smoothies, herbal teas and coffee. Open Wed-Sun 10:00am-3:30pm. Closed Mon-Tue.

Venue map for Papirica
© OpenStreetMap contributors

First Review by ddmeow

beancurdled

Points +1475

22 Apr 2023

make a beeline for breakfast

The breakfast menu, unfortunately, is a limited time special. If you see them advertising it on Instagram, don't miss out!

Today there were 2 rice dishes (onigiri set or porridge) and 2 bread options (red bean toast or vegan shokupan with edamame smash). The porridge and toast listed a vegan option and when I asked about the onigiri, was told it was all vegan. We all chose the onigiri set but when the staff member came back to confirm the day's fillings, one had bonito in it. I didn't expect to have to tell them that fish flakes aren't vegan! The solution was to serve me 2 of the same flavour (mustard leaves) which was slightly disappointing.

The dish was delicious though. Apparently they cook the rice on charcoal which gives it a special flavour. The salad was dressed beautifully. A silky square of fried tofu was topped with enoki mushrooms and miso glaze. Pickled red cabbage and miso soup balanced everything out nicely.

Daifuku mochi for desert encased a whole fresh strawberry in rich red bean paste and a thin chewy rice flour skin. Milk coffees looked a bit weak but my long black was nice and nutty.

Tiggy

Points +15165

14 Sep 2022

Handful of OK vegan options.

I don’t think I’d been to Papirica since the pandemic and it fell off my radar for a while. I’m always reminded that this business is in the same cute space of the old Las Vegan Bakery of many years ago, which also had the slightly makeshift feel of the current establishment. We sat in the back room with a couple other groups of diners, and I realised that the lack of music playing in the small space made everybody’s conversations very audible. There’s a handful of vegan options on the menu, including an okonomiyaki (which I’d had previously and found a bit too sweet) and a sando, but this time we chose the curry and the mapo tofu. I had enjoyed the curry once before as I did this time, although it wasn’t brimming with vegetables. The tofu dish was quite tasty too, if not mind-blowing. Meals were very reasonably priced at $15.50 each. I’d be keen to come back and try the sando, as the black and white sesame smoothies.

andreasaysyes

Points +151

14 May 2022

Now serving breakfast

Three brekkie choices - all vegan or with vegan option,

1. Onigiri set (2 onigiri, miso, pickles, enoki mushrooms)
2. Adzuki bean toastie with vegan butter
3. Smashed edamame on vegan shokipan with chili oil and greens.

The food was super delicious, though the coffee we ordered was quite weak. Such a cute shop with lovely staff.

They also had homemade daifuku.

beancurdled

05 Jul 2022

ddmeow

Points +26

23 Apr 2017

Simple, yet delicious

Cafe is super cute with a relaxed atmosphere. QHomestyle Japanese okonomi-yaki is tasty and filling, vegan option is also gluten free. Yet to try the nasu dengaku vegan sandwich.

Pros: Relaxed atmosphere , Good value

Cons: The addition of vegan breakfast item would be cool