Papaya's Natural Foods and Cafe

Contact 808-823-0190

4-831 Kuhio Highway (at Safeway shopping ctr, on Kauai), Kapaa, Hawaii, USA, 96746

Serves meat, vegan options available. Juice bar, hot foods, and salad bar inside the health food store. Food bar is pay-by-weight, and you can eat outside in courtyard. Mon-Sat 8:00am-7:00pm, Sun 10:00am-4:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Juice bar, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by Chia

Dinner and groceries - Edit

Went here 3 or 4 times during our trip because it was right across the road from our hotel (Waipouli). Has grab n go sandwiches and wraps for takeout, I had a vegan "B"LT which was really good. They also have hot foods you can order and wait ~10 mins for (my mom had a vegan taro burger). They also have an excellent make-your-own salad bar (pay by weight - I had a huge salad with lots of tofu that was under $10), with many veggies, chickpeas, tofu, etc. Salad dressing ingredients are posted, with vegan options clearly marked. The ginger-tahini dressing was fantastic. Really great for grab-n-go option, or there's a couple small tables to sit outside.

Pros: Ginger-tahini dressing - I would eat it by itself!, Good options and prices at salad bar, Hot takeout foods available

Cons: Limited seating on-site

Taro Burger - Edit

Amazing fully vegan taro burger! I could eat them all day long. Multiple vegan options on the menu, inside a very well stocked health food store. You've definitely got to try this place during your stay!

Pros: fully vegan options

Cons: smaller portions

I could eat here every day! - Edit

For a relatively small place, Papaya's has a great selection, friendly staff, and lots of great vegan & gluten-free stuff at the cafe. Love the hot/cold bar and salads! I would give it five stars, but Happy Cow only allows four for non-vege places.

Convenient and reasonably priced - Edit

My friend and I were pleasantly surprised how reasonably priced this place is, considering how most health food stores are pricey. We even found some things cheaper there than Safeway. I was able to pick up my favorite vegan cheese at a discount and grab a hot meal lunch. We stayed in Kapa'a so this was a very convenient location for us. It's also right next to Safeway and Longs Drugs. The outdoor setting for eating is also a nice little courtyard.

Pros: Convenient location, Inexpensive, Nice setting

Cons: Little hard to find on 1st visit, Not completely vegetarian

Reliable place to go - Edit

The store and the food bar is a reliable place to get vegan and vegetarian food on the island. It's in Kapaa town, which is centrally located. Good stop for grab and go and stocking up on groceries.

The food bar and juice bar is simple, not fancy.

Return to Kapaa Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Papaya's Natural Foods and Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1069 times since Dec 2012.