CLOSED: Panzerotti

03-96623321

Shop 1C/289 Flinders Street, Melbourne, Victoria, 3000

Serves meat, vegan options available. Panzerotti are golden pockets from the Apuglian region of Southern Italy filled with different fillings. Vegan choices include vegan cheese, vegan sausage, tofu, chickpeas, green peas, lentils, pineapple, corn, and other ingredients listed on a separate billboard in store. Call ahead or order in-store. JUN 2015 REPORTED SHUT.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Fast food, Take-out, Australian, Non-veg

First Review by blinki

sometimes food - Edit

After ignoring this place for a long time I had my first "golden pocket" in my lunch break today and was glad I did. There's a pretty extensive list of vegan filling options - ask the person serving. I had vegan sausage, cheese, tomato, onion, capsicum and basil. They also have some kooky ones like baked beans which I'd try if I went back again. Pleasantly surprised to find they weren't stingy on the more expensive ingredients like cheese and sausage. The fillings were a bit unevenly distributed, as previously mentioned, but my panzerotti was pretty well stuffed. The dough is not too thick that it competes with the fillings for flavour, is chewy and seems to be deep fried - all qualities I enjoyed. At $6.50 a pop (I think all vegan ones are the same price regardless of which/ how many fillings you choose) they're a bit pricey for their size. I was satisfied with one for lunch but if I was really hungry, I'd go elsewhere for better value for money. For a quick, small, easy to eat lunch, I'd go back.

Pros: fast food, cooked to order, convenient

Cons: not great value for money, raw onion

Tasteee - Edit

I had a panzerotti with v. cheese, mushroom, spinach, olives & oregano. All vegan ones are made to order so always fresh. I really liked it - lots of olives and delicious crust. It was $6.50. I would eat 2 for lunch but I am a bit of a greedy guts. It was good. I'd go back if I was nearby and wanted a snack.

Pros: Tasty, Made To Order, Plenty Of Vegan Options Including Cheese & Sausage

OK - Edit

Take away place though probably not quite filling enough for a lunch. The owner is friendly and the separate vegan menu means you get to pick what you want- an option I don't think non-vegans get.

I took the owner's advice on how many fillings to choose and found it a bit empty, the sausage was whole so all the areas with no sausage was especially lacking. I assumed he would have put in enough of everything to make it fairly full adjusting for the number of fillings chosen.

However, it was OK otherwise. The novelty value of vegan sausage in pastry is enough for me to want to go back again and pick several more fillings, hopefully that'll result in a fuller panzerotti.

Return to Melbourne Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Panzerotti closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.