CLOSED: Panino Vegano

Contact +39-3338359787

Via Maurizio Bufalini 19r/21r, Florence, Italy, 50122

An organic, gluten-free restaurant that offers sandwiches, fresh bread, burgers, veggie side dishes, cake, dessert and fresh juice, plus coffee with non-dairy milk. Since Apr 2014. Staff speaks Italian and English. A 10-minute walk from Duomo. MAR 2016 REPORTED SHUT. Open Mon-Sat 11:30am-3:30pm.

Category: Vegan, Italian, Organic, Juice bar, Bakery, European

First Review by earthville

Not as good as expected - Edit

A very nice place in Florence, nice seating area, nice stuff, but the food was not very good and kind of expensive.
I had a burger and some potatoes. The burger was not very good and I did not like the gluten free bread. The potatoes were maybe from the day before and covered in a lot of oil.
After those two things I was not really satisfied and still hungry-
I like the concept, but they have to work on the food.

Pros: seating, concept

Cons: food, price

Just OK - Edit

I had the potato al forno and also one of their paninis. The potatoes were potatoes, nothing special. The sandwich was OK. The bread was not the best, but that's to be expected for a gluten free shop. The veggies and patty between the bread slices were pretty thin compared to the paninis I've seen in the USA. In sum, it's just OK.

Prices are good, and it's very close to the duomo for a convenient location. If you like cheap unexciting healthy food at a low price then this is the place for you.

If you have celiac's then this is probably the only place for you in Florence. If you don't have celiac's, well, stop worrying about the Gluten: you're in Italy where they did a study that found 86% of people who think they are gluten-sensitive actually have no reaction whatsoever to gluten.

Pros: If you have celicac's: gluten free., Price., Location.

Cons: If you don't have celiac's: gluten free., Kind of boring.

WOW! - Edit

SO GOOD! My boyfriend is vegan and ceoliac (allergic to gluten) and this was his dream come true! Haha
100% vegan and gluten free! He's never had so many options when eating out! The burgers we're really nice and the service was wonderful!

Pros: 100% vegan and gluten free, Yummy food , Central location

Cons: none!

Great discovery, all vegan food and lovely staff - Edit

Florence is a great place to eat vegan, especially thanks to Cinzia Re, the amazing founder of Panino Vegano and Bioveggy, two all vegan/homemade/gluten free restaurants, each of a very different standing. Panino Vegano is perfect to eat lunch while visiting the city, it is perfectly located near the Duomo. There is a lot of choice, to eat lunch or for a little something during the afternoon. Everything is fresh and homemade so always delicious and trustworthy ;)
Cinzia is lovely, I felt at home. The food was good though maybe too simple if you don't add a few extras (from 5€ to 7 if you add vegan cheese, vegetables etc..)

Pros: all vegan, a lot of choice, lovely staff

good lunch - Edit

We stopped in for lunch in between sightseeing as the location is very close to the Duomo. The staff were very helpful and we ended up with two different burgers along with potatoes and veggies as sides. We also got a slice of pizza and a panna cotta cheesecake. The food was good and solid, filling us up for the afternoon. Dirk was very excited about the iced coffee as it was the first place he'd found that had just plain black coffee on ice. You order at the counter and bus your own table. Good for a quick lunch in a convenient location.

Pros: all vegan, helpful staff, good location

Nice vegan cafe situated in Central Location - Edit

Located near to the Duomo.
The cafe is not only vegan but also gluten free, which made for an interesting meal.
The menu includes burgers and "pizza" and salads and a few cakes.
The burgers seemed to be already prepared (but made by themselves) and the staff then heat them up on the stove.
The soya burger tasted fine, but not quite as expected as there was no gluten in the bun!
The cup of teas was served in a large mug.
The lady behind the counter was friendly and spoke English.
Very good attention to hygene.

Oh, and nice toilets

Pros: Great location, Clean, Friendly

Cons: Limited menu

Very good vegan restaurant - Edit

My husband and I ate here twice during our stay in Florence. The food was very good, there was a good variety, and the staff quite friendly - the server even remembered my name when we went there the second time!

Quite crowded at meal times, but we were lucky enough each time to get a table.

Pros: Good food, Friendly staff, Good value

Cons: Not much place to sit

nice interior, food ok - Edit

It really looks nice and it's a nice concept, however, the display of food could me more appealing.
It would be easy to make it much better.
The burger was ok, but nothing special, the fruit salad was disappointing - just apples and pear.
The choice of tea is without structure. But ok.

nice - Edit

Nice food, and people working there very nice and welcoming. Pet friendly!!!

Pros: 5 minutes walking from Duomo, very well located

Cons: opening time for breakfast...a bit late

Vegan Burger Lunch - Edit

A short walk from central Florence. 5 choices of vegan burgers with a variety of fillings & sauces. Flat gluten bread roll. Nice flavoured special burger. Nice apple cake. not many seats, but can takeaway. Nice shakes.

Pros: vegan, near by, cheap

Cons: not many seats, service was a bit slow

Nice atmosphere, OK food - Edit

A nice all vegan eatery, with lots of gluten-free choices. Sometimes their hot dishes are not reheated properly, but the food is nice and the place is lovely albeit rather casual and low-key. Could be a tad cheaper for the kind of canteen-style service they provide. I have been a few times and will go again since it is the closest vegan outlet to my workplace, but I am glad there are alternatives nearby as well.

Pros: good, central location, offers organic wine as well, many choices of bread for burgers

Cons: no real kitchen, just reheating, no service

perfetto - Edit

Savory and delicious vegan burgers, sides, and pizza near Duomo. This is the first time I have seen soy (and rice milk) lattes (coffee) in Florence. The other vegetarian restaurants I've been to don't offer soy milk, and its nice for vegans with latte addictions to have options. Though not open at 8:00 when I like to have espresso.

Unrelated, I'd like to say I've eaten quite a lot of bread in Florence, and find the flower to be less harsh than breads typical in the US. I usually avoid bread in the US because I'll have to lay down from stomach cramps 30 minutes after eating. This restaurant is gluten free, so you don't have to worry about gluten ailments. But I would suggest to take in the culture, not fear gluten when possible.

Pros: accept credit cards, coffee service (latte, espresso)

burgers, sandwiches primarily - Edit

We ate here the first night we were in Florence, simply because it was the nearest to where we were staying, and we were exhausted from our trip.
The atmosphere is very casual. Serve yourself when it is ready, bus yourself. The proprietor (or worker - don't know) was helpful in explaining the choices, even searching on the Internet to find the translation for the type of flour used in the buns (buckwheat).
For the type of place and type of menu, the burgers were tasty. I also wanted a cup of tea herbal and some cookies. He had barely any choice of tea left - a bunch of empty Yogi Tea boxes on the shelf. The cookies were simple, and tasty enough. I do appreciate the value placed on healthy food, and this place is fine if you want a casual bite of lunch or dinner (which was our case, because it was late already).

Pros: vegan, helpful staff

Cons: not if you want to be served, teas should have been better stocked

Great vegan gluten free hamburgers - Edit

A very casual small place with counter ordering.
They serve different veg patties on a panini.
They have different toppings that you can choose like roasted veg, grilled onions , zucchini , and a bunch of salads.
It was a delight to find this place for a quick light lunch.
The staff were very friendly and spoke English.
I recommend this restaurant.
The owner also owns Bioveggy which is an excellent choice for a more upscale delicious meal .

Pros: Reasonable price, Tasty

Excellent burgers - Edit

Excellent burgers and super friendly staff. Had the chickpea burger w special Mayo (olive and caper). Sooooo good. Omnis I was with loved them too. And very well priced for smack in middle of tourist and historic centre.

Pros: Delicious, Centrally located and friendly, Well priced

nice spot for a good lunch - Edit

I've been there several times and it has been always a good experience. The menu is not very extensive but with a nice variety of burgers, salads and sweets. Good coffee and nice atmosphere, friendly staff.

Pros: 100% vegan, nice atmosphere, THE CAKES !!!

Cons: none

I - Edit

I have eaten here 3 times so far and it's AWESOME!!!!

I've had:
-the lentil burger with eggplant and peppers, with carote sauce (AWESOME).
-the chickpea burger with eggplant and peppers, with carote sauce (really good, but I prefer the lentil burger).
-the lentil burger with eggplant and peppers (see an eggplant/pepper theme?), this time with the basil mustard sauce (MY FAV SO FAR!!! that sauce is DELICIOUS)
-rice milk cappuccino (yum!! they have really nice coffee here :D)
-HONORABLE MENTION: oh man--- their chocolate/pear torte is SPECTACULAR!!!!!

Also, the place is bright and colorful and cheery and the girls who work there are SUPER cool and sweet :)

I just LOVE this place!!!!!

Pros: DELICIOUS everything!!!, sweet and kind staff :) :) :), well priced

Cons: none

Great Lunch spot - Edit

Offers a variety of veggie burgers, toppings, sauces - both of which that I tried were quite good. Also bought two of their desserts - only one is no longer with us: the apple cake - and it was delicious!!! Also, the whole menu is SENZA GLUTINE!! Go. Enjoy. Be vegan.

Pros: Good food, Very friendly staff

Delicious!!! - Edit

Excellent food, excellent location! So happy to find a gluten-free végan panino shop in the center of Florence! We could even buy some of their delicious breads.
Updated from previous review on Friday September 05, 2014

Pros: Central Location, Great Food, Atmosphere

Tasty and filling! - Edit

I had a soy burger with eggplant, onions, lettuce, ketchup, and mayo. Was super satisfying. I also had a side of potatoes that were nicely seasoned. There were a lot of drink options (wine, beer, sparkling soda type drinks, different coffees). I tried both of the cake options cause I like to live dangerously xD one was a chocolate with a "cream" sauce drizzled over it and another was a chocolate pear cake. Because they are gluten free they have a slightly chewy texture. But still very good. A nice place to eat if you don't want typical Italian food. The staff was very friendly as well and shared a bunch of other vegan places around for me to try :)

A quick bite with many options - Edit

Most of all resembling a snack bar more than a restaurant, Panino Vegano offers different types of burger (i had seitan) plus two pieces of veggies and a dressing for 5 euro. If you're more hungry there's several side dish options, most of which are grilled veggies or salads. A small selection of cake plus vegan caffé latte are also availible. I had all the previous mentioned things, totalling 15 euro. Not too bad for Florence, but a little pricey considering i was still hungry when i finished. So was my travel mate, who's two heads shorter than me and not a living organic waste dispenser.

But luckily the food tasted fantastic, and the burger bun was completely home made - great! The salads where original and not totally cliché-filled - no boring potato or pasta salads here.

The room is nicely decorated, and has a "high-end" feel to it. So does the menu card.

I'd go again, but not for dinner.

Pros: Everything is home made, Nicely located, Many choises

Cons: Not enough food

Meraviglioso! - Edit

I walked by the restaurant during lunch and it was packed-- rightfully so! I decided to come back for a late lunch and was very pleased. Everything looked wonderful! The food was great (vegan and gluten-free) and the atmosphere was lovely. The owner was incredibly nice and told me they have another restaurant on Via Erbosa called Bioveggy so I will have to stop by there too. I can't wait to go back again!! Grazie mille!

Amazing - Edit

We came for lunch and it was packed and for good reason.
Dish of the day was raw zucchini pasta which was excellent, the one year old loved it too!
Burgers with grilled veggies also great and their blend of slow juice was a treat (the cake less so).
All the family was happy with this wonderful place.

Pros: Tasty, Inventive

Cons: Cake, Packed

Healthy food and happy vibes - Edit

Dining at Panino Vegano is a very positive experience all around: tasty and salubrious food, friendly and helpful people, a pleasant environment, and eco-friendly practices (such as compostable utensils).

The food is freshly homemade, organic, and gluten-free, without additives or preservatives, so you're getting genuine health food here, but not at the cost of flavor (everything was quite tasty).

I had the "Panino + contorno + dolce" (burger, veggie side dish, and dessert) and was very pleased with everything i ate — and found it to be good value at 10 euros. There are several options for the veggie burger that allow you to tailor it to your tastes. The strawberry cake was delicious.

Central location is very convenient.

Recommended!

Pros: organic & gluten free, warm and friendly service, eco-friendly practices

Return to Florence Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Panino Vegano closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5519 times since May 2014.