Pan Comido Vegetariano - Tonala

Contact 4398-4366

Tonala 91, Colonia Roma Norte (at /between Alvaro Obregon and Chihuahua), Mexico City, Mexico, 06700

A vegetarian restaurant offers many vegan options including tofu burgers (ask for no cheese), hot dogs, falafel, aubergine sandwiches, salads, curry and caponata. Fresh fruit drinks with free refills. Laid-back and friendly atmosphere. Twitter @elpancomido. Free Wi-Fi. Open Mon 9:00am-5:00pm, Tue-Thu 9:00am-9:00pm, Sun 9:00am-5:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, International, Organic, Beer/Wine, Delivery, Take-out

First Review by jacguss

Nice place to eat good fast food. - Edit

We went on saturday lunch time and it was packed. We waited for about 25 minutes for a table (an horizontal door with legs, indeed. Original but not very comfortable). I guess this place is a bit trendy between the vegetarian comunity of the city right now.

We ordered a Nomeolvides as entreé (roasted tortillas stuffed with potato and chorizo in a green hot sauce with several toppings), and two burgers (Big Juan and Bien Gracias). Everything was tasty and creative. Portions were quite good and didn't delay too much, although the restaurant was so crowded. International cuisine with a mexican touch. We had the daily water that was a mix of exotic fruits and were offered a refill. Desserts were available only under request and we didn't ask for, so no idea. The staff was correct.

It is not a cheap place but not overpricey, either. I definetely would come back.

The only complain was that the toilet was out of order. I guess they will fix it soon.

Pros: Original and tasty food., Drink refill.

Cons: Sofas and some tables not very comfortable.

bland - Edit

I had a wrap with tofu and the tofu was made like from some omnivore the never had tofu in his life and doesn't know anything about how to prepare it. it was just the bland tofu block warmed up a bit. that is of course not good and disappointing. it was also fairly expensive for that with 70$. the red juice was quite good but nothing special.

Cons: quite expensive compare to street food

Tasty Food - Edit

We had breakfast/brunch on a Sunday and it was hard to get a seat. Most other places were not open. I had the apple French toast and it was pretty tasty. I wouldn't say this place is very vegan friendly though. I asked for agave nectar for syrup instead of the honey and they said they didn't have any. They did say they could give me vegan mozzarella instead of the mascarpone but it wasn't very tasty vegan cheese. They also only had 1 vegan option in the bakery (out of about 10 different options). I will say that the French toast was good but the place is not that vegan friendly, at least in my opinion. The place has very nice ambiance and the waitress did speak English after she noticed we were struggling in Spanish. I also didn't find it very inexpensive as it is categorized here on happy cow. I paid 65 pesos for the French toast and another 25 for the juice (which even though it says free refills on here, they did not offer free refills). I would consider this place more moderate price than inexpensive.

Pros: Tasty Food, Nice ambiance/well designed

Cons: Limited Vegan options, More moderate prices than inexpensive

Unexpected! - Edit

After being very disappointed that prema had closed down, the owner pointed us down the road and around the corner. Her words were "I go there all the time and think it's better than prema"!!! It's a cute bustling cafe with seating on the street. Great atmos and the menu is excellent. Loads of options clearly outlining vegan and lacto ovo dishes. Assortment of foods from soups, burgers, salads with quirky names for all the dishes. Staff speak minimal English but it was not an issue. I had the soup of the day (garbanzo beans, spinach and mushrooms) for 35pesos which didn't look amazing but actually tasted great. my husband had the gracias bien burger for 100pesos (he was quite impressed but said the pattie was a little dry). We decided to treat ourselves with a soy chai and an americano with a vegan cookie... All of these were great! Would definitely recommend for lunch or an afternoon tea :)

Pros: Vegan!, Great atmos, Free wifi

tasty, simple, no frills - Edit

This restaurant doesn't serve any flesh, which is great, but they do use dairy and eggs :(

They are very friendly and knowledgeable of what is and isn't vegan and there's no need to explain anything.

Last night I had the "Brigitte Bardot"- folded tortillas filled with hibiscus flowers covered in mole. They were divine. Today I had a milanesa (breaded steak) sandwich - it was ok at best.

They offer some vegan treats baked in the bakery next door. Pretty decent.

Pros: vegetarian, outdoor seating, knowledgeable and friendly

Cons: serves dairy and eggs

Homey and cosy place - Edit

I had a lunch and a dinner at this restaurant. Liked everything there from the place itself, the staff, the food, the vegan options (lots), the vegan cookies and the atmosphere. Most of their menu can be made vegan. I had the san juan burger and the falafel. Plus a tofu sandwich to take away. Dont expect to find a gastronomic vegan restaurant here but a honest healthy place which is the best I could find in Mexico City.

Pros: The choice , The fruited water of the day, The vegan cookies

Cons: The potatoe chips , Dishes taste a bit the same, Location

My favorite vegan place in Mexico City - Edit

I have been going there since they opened, every single time I go to Mexico City. They have delicious vegan food (they also have vegetarian options). My favorite is the torta de milanesa, tastes just like the 'real' one, but without harming animals ;) Everyone is super nice, but since it's a small restaurant and it is very popular, they get really busy at times and for obvious reasons it could be slow. But it's worth it! They now opened up another section next door, where you can get vegan milkshakes and desserts! Soooo delicious!

Classic Rock - Edit

I came here twice during my stay in Mexico city. First time i arrived i sat at the bench seating indoors and they were playing some Hendrix, followed by Beatles and Beach Boys, so i liked the place immediately.

The waitress was helpful in describing which parts of the menu were vegan or could be made vegan. I ordered the 'paquete' for 95 pesos. It included a main, a hot drink and a choice of fruit juice or fruit salad. I went for the burrito with tofu, spinach and mushrooms, a fresh mint tea and a fruit salad. The service was fast and friendly and the food was great.

The second time, i brought a couple of friends and we sat outdoors. Unfortunately, the service was a lot slower. My friends had nearly finished their dish before i received mine. My menu choice wasn't as interesting either. I had black beans, veg chorizo and tofu (which was a cheese substitution) on a white baguette. It was pretty bland.

Overall though, i liked the place. The decor was simple and stylish and the atmosphere was relaxing.

Pros: helpful staff, inexpensive, good music

Cons: variable waiting time, variable tasting vegan options

Best Vegan Restaurant in Mexico City - Edit

This was my chosen spot while in Mexico City. The location is very charming, nice staff, vegan-friendly menu options, great breakfast options, amazing dinner options and great vegan dessert options.

The restaurant seems to get a significant amount of hipsters and vegetarian/vegan tourists.

Pros: Vegan Options, Fantastic Coffee/Chai, Ambiance

SO SO GOOD! - Edit

Seriously, this place was amazing.

Great location. Servers all friendly and helpful. While not everything is vegan they are more than happy to make it vegan and accommodate for the missing ingredients. FOr instance if you leave out eggs from the burrito you can get tofu to fill their place.

The waiters and waitresses are friendly and explain everything. Also the food is SO reasonably priced. Great for breakfast or dinner or lunch. I had all three meals there on different days. Good hours. Very cute decor and nice neighborhood.

Cute hipster clientele frequent the spot. They also have free wifi, just ask for the password. And amazing vegan desserts. If you are veg or vegan you MUST visit this spot while in town.

Pros: Great service, Great food, Good prices

Cons: None!

Good for vegans! - Edit

This is an nice place, the location is not that noisy and the staff is really great. If you tell them that you are a vegan they are well aware what you are talking about. As a vegan you can get almost every thing that is listed in the menu. They serve breakfast with optional breakfast package or just a plate or basket with a sandwich. Around 13 in the afternoon they will change to the menu when they start serving hotdogs and falafel and other stuff.

Pros: Good for vegans, Nice staff, Nicely decorated

favorite restaurant in mexico city so far - Edit

They have vegan milkshakes! Excellent vegan options. Tried a vegan strawberry almond milk smoothie-scrumptious! Saw they have vegan cookies, other baked goods but did not taste them. The vegan portabello tofu burger I got really hit the spot. The mint cucumber water was adictive. The atmosphere of this place is remarkable. Love it.

Pros: vegan milkshakes! and baked goods, wonderful atmosphere, reasonably priced

Cons: not all vegan, somewhat difficult to find, i wish they had more locations

Super delish! - Edit

Had a great sandwich at Pan Comido yesterday. I think it was called the Sabrina. It was a veggie cutlet on some very nice bread with lots of veggies. Served with some very nice potato chips. Great space too, tables made from reclaimed materials for example. Friendly staff.

Pros: Food, Casual

Cons: Limited menu, mostly sandwiches

A Gem In Mexico City :) - Edit

As a vegan traveling to Mexico for the first time I was very skeptical about how well I would eat. On my first day we came across this gem in the heart of the city.
and all I can say is I ate VERY well for the rest of my trip!
Pom Comido is very modern and quirky, with interesting touches, Ike serving drinks in jam jars and beautifully hand written menus.
Everything is vegetarian but almost all dishes can be adapted to vegan if requested.
The first meal I tried was the veggie burger. Being a vegan and not eating cheese, the cheese in my burger was replaced with Tofu, which worked really well. It was served in a nice basket with crisps on the side. I also tried the "Burritos" I had mine with black beans and mushrooms with Tofu. again it was delicious!
As for deserts I really wasn't expecting to be able to order one at all, but to my suprise there was at least 3- 4 vegan options. I had the vegan chocolate cookie. Here in the U.K. I actually bake professionally as a vegan, and I honestly could not have made this cookie better myself. It was amazing!
The staff were nice and keen to help, despite some of them having limited English.
They were very accommodating too. As I arrived in Mexico City from Cancun where everyone accepts dollars. I naively thought that this was the same for the whole of Mexico, but to my suprise. No. The owner manager? was very kind to exchange my $50 note for Pesos on the condition we changed it back with her the following day. This was very trusting of her and showed very good customer service.
All I can say is that any Vegan or Veggie traveling to Mexico City much try Pan Comido.

Pros: Almost every dish can be made vegan, It's in a great central location, Food is delicious

Cons: No food marked as "vegan" , A lot of cheese is used

Vale la pena - Edit

Completamente de acuerdo con la primera reseña en cuanto al personal de este lugar. Lo he recomendado a amigos vegetarianos y de lo mismo se han quejado. Es una lastima ya que la comida es realmente buena, tienen mucha variedad y originalidad en el concepto.

Return to Mexico City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Pan Comido Vegetariano - Tonala closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.