Paladar Zen

Contact +351-217950009

Avenida Barbosa du Bocage 107C (at Uptown), Lisbon, Portugal, 1050-031

Features Zen ambiance and all-you-can-eat buffet which includes vegetable soup, several hot meals, veg sushi, and a variey of cold salads. Fresh juices and desserts also available. Directions: Metro at Campo Pequeno, saída Av. Barbosa du Bocage. Mon-Sat 12:00pm-3:00pm, Mon-Sat 7:30pm-10:30pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, International, Western, Buffet, Take-out, Portuguese

First Review by barbarella

meh experience - Edit

This restaurant was disappointing. It is close to the Gulbenkian museum, so if you are in that area and hungry, i guess it would make sense to go there.

I had the dinner buffet, but none of the dishes were individually very good. The apple crumble was alright. The ambiance was nice and relaxed. All of the dishes were under-seasoned.

Pros: close to museum

Cons: food, service

Equilibrado - Edit

Acolhedor, bom atendimento e tem os melhores pratos frios de todos os buffets que já fui. O meu único senão é na pouca variedade e originalidade dos pratos quentes, mas de resto é mesmo óptimo :)

Amazing buffet - Edit

The restaurant was quite crowded, so we had to wait for a free table, but it was definitely worth it. The waiter kindly showed what was vegan, which was the majority of the food. The restaurant looked fancy, but it was cheap, I chose from the buffet plus I had dessert and it cost me €11 :)

Pros: Delicious food, Lots of choices for vegans, Cheap food, tastes expensive :D

Cons: Small so it gets crowded

A good restaurant for a group meal - Edit

The buffet had many dishes on offer and the food was good, even my non-vegetarian friends liked it. The menu for groups includes drinks and a dessert, but not everything is included. The buffet area might get a little crowded since the restaurant is small, probably the only con.

Pros: Food, Variety, Buffet

Cons: Small restaurant

Interesting place - Edit

I know this restaurant is inexpensive, with plenty of options and good food as well, but I didn't love it.

Maybe it was because I kept comparing it to Terra, in Principe Real, but I was expecting something better, due to the reviews I had read about it.

I've always done my birthday dinner at Restaurante Terra and because it is a bit pricey, I decided to do something different and chose Paladar Zen.

I am not saying it wasn't good, still when compared to my previous birthday dinners....I felt something was missing....maybe my cogumelos á bulhão pato that I absolutely LOVE eating at Terra.

Even my guests, who are not vegetarian or vegan like me, thought the same. Needless to say that we returned to Terra the following year!

Still I have read really good reviews about this restaurant, so I believe it is a good place to visit.

Pros: Inexpensive, Nice Vibe, Buffet

All You Can Eat - Edit

This is, right now, the best Veggie place in Lisboa.
All you can eat, really good food with a rich selection of salads, daily soup and vegan sushi.
The warm plates are all described as Vegan/Veggie and there are several daily Vegan choices. Also, the menu changes each day so it can be checked out several days in a row and you'll never eat the same.

Pros: Best food in Lisboa, All Vegan options are marked, All You Can Eat

Cons: Can be expensive, Only 2 Vegan Desserts

Great place for lunch - Edit

Buffet lunch, mainly vegan options and all food was clearly labelled. Generous selection of salads and hot food cooked in a Portuguese style. Plenty to eat and reasonably priced. Would definitely go back again. Staff were helpful and friendly.

Pros: Tasty dishes with a Portuguese twist , Wide selection of mainly vegan dishes, Reasonably priced

Cons: Can't think of any cons!

Good choice - Edit

Great place. We eat there every week.

They have a very decent choice of vegan dishes that go from good to absolutely amazing. Unfortunately, they are not labelled vegan (only the desserts are), and it's unfortunately true that the waiters are not always aware of what is actually vegan and what is not. One tiny thing to improve.

Warning: their hot dishes are mostly inspired by traditional Portuguese cuisine, which is often oily, so you can expect these to be oily as well. Well, this is what most of their Portuguese customers want I guess... One the other hand, it's a rare occasion to have a taste of Portuguese specialities in a veg*n version!

Overall, I highly recommend this restaurant.

Pros: You eat as much as you want, Good food, decent price, Lots of vegan choices

Cons: Veagn foods are not indicated , Staff is not always aware what is vegan

Couldn't have asked for more - Edit

This place is awesome. We came for dinner. Food was delicious and fresh tasting. Everything but a couple items was vegan. LOVED the curry and coconut rice. Price was very reasonable. Place was clean, tidy, and well organized. Location may seem a bit out of the way for most tourists, but it's only a short subway ride from the old town and I can assure you it's gonna be worth it!

Pros: very good food, great value, clean modern décor

O buffet mais barato - Edit

o melhor buffet vegetariano da cidade em termos de qualidade-preço. Por menos de 10 euros (e é mais barato ao dia semana) é possível comer, repetir, comer. Bebidas e sobremesas são pagas à parte.

A oferta é variada. Há sopas, várias opções de frios (saladas diversas e com muita variedade) e ainda várias opções de quentes. Nos quentes destaco as almôndegas de vegetais (uma verdadeira delícia) que gostei mesmo muito. Estavam muito bem preparadas, com um sabor interessante (e eu que nem aprecio beterraba). Gostei muito do ratatouille vegetariano e do folhado de vegetais. Havia outras opções de quentes mas sem dúvidas estas foram as que gostei mais. Provei também o panado de tofu que tinha um excelente aspecto, saboroso, mas não me convenceu.

Nos frios destaco a qualidade das saladas - notava-se que eram frescas. Havia também muita variedade e nem consegui provar todas, mas as que provei estavam saborosas.

Fui à hora de almoço e o restaurante estava cheio. Notei que havia bastante comida e mesmo a que acabava era logo reposta. Não notei nenhuma confusão na altura de servir. Achei também que os funcionários eram muito prestáveis e simpáticos.

Como sobremesas (há uma boa diversidade à escolha) escolhemos panacota com frutos silvestres e ananás. Recomendo e espero voltar.

Pros: Preço, Diversidade

Great all-you-can-eat buffet - Edit

"Paladar" is a great buffet-style veggie restaurant.

Its location is a bit remote compared to most of the central places in Lisbon, but it's still very easily accessible.

I went there for lunch, and for 7.80€ took the menu option including the cold/hot dishes buffet + 1 drink + 1 coffee.

Needless to say it's an incredible value, and the food was quite good. The vegan options are clearly indicated.
It seems to be very vegetables/cereals oriented, and maybe it lacked a little variety of legumes.

Also, the atmosphere is ok, but the decoration is quite bland (Ikea-like).

The tea was, unfortunately, a mere Lipton tea bag.

Apart from this, it's a highly recommended place.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday April 07, 2015

Pros: Food, Buffet, Price

Cons: Location

Buena comida en buffet - Edit

Fuimos muchas veces a cenar en nuestro viaje a Lisboa. Lo encontramos por casualidad, ya que estaba muy cerca de nuestro hotel y nos gusto tanto que fuimos varias veces. Muchas opciones veganas, precio muy bueno y un servicio muy atento y rápido. La comida muy rica, con opciones como ensaladas, legumbres, platos con tofu y seitan. Muy recomendable.

Pros: Buen precio, comida rica y buen servicio

Cons: Algunos platos están algo salados

A must go to - Edit

Been to Paladar Zen today for the first time and I definitely want to go back. Very good food (cold and hot), lots of variety and a very cozy environment. The staff are friendly. Advisable to go early otherwise it gets full (because it's so good) and, even though it's not a small restaurant, you would need to wait for a table to be empty. They offer an "all you can eat" buffet so I was really stuffed full because the food was yummy yummy. Who says vegans and vegetarians must starve has never been to Paladar Zen. ;)

Excellent - Edit

Excellent place to eat for vegans. All you can eat buffet with a wide range of food. I particlalurly enjoyed the sushi rolls and the veggie burgers. The place is clean, staff are friendly and the prices are low.

Pros: Great Food, Great Value, Staff are very good

Disappointed - Edit

Bad expericience.
I started by asking one of the waiters wish dishes were vegan, since me and my girlfriend are vegan.
After the waiter told me wich dishes were vegan i was about to serve me (buffet) when my girlfriend suspected that that dish wasn't vegan, but it was one of the dishes the waiter told me it was vegan. I went back and asked again the waiter and this time she told me. "Oh, yes, it has butter in it".
Oooookay, I just lost all my thrust in the dishes that she told me were vegan.
We ate and tried all the vegan dishes (there weren't many) and they were FULL of salt and oil. Even if we wanted to balance the salt and oil with something fresh, we couldn't because even the salad and vegetables were salty and oily.
We left the place with a salty and oily mouth and very disappointed.

Sugestion - Invest in fresh ingredients so there's no need to hide the bad quality with salt and oil

Ps. I ate there the most ridiculous sushi ever, small, hard and dried rice with 2 little pieces of carrot.

Pros: Friendly staff, Buffet

Cons: Too much oil and salt in the food, Little vegan dishes, Staff doesn't know wich dishes are vegan

A good place to eat - Edit

We enjoyed this place. Everything was tasty and the buffet was plentiful, neat and clean. The manager was careful to show me what was not vegan--maybe 2 dishes. In every way a good place to eat for vegans.
I believe it is not far from the Gulbenkian museums, so can be combined with a visit.

Pros: professional, excellent value, good service

Cons: some dishes may have lacked taste

Wow! - Edit

This is one of the most amazing places that I have ever ate in. If, like me, you love your grub, and appreciate value for money, this is the place to go in Lisboa. I don't usually like buffets but this was stress-free buffeting. It was a nice quiet peaceful place with an amazing variety of dishes. The 'waiter' is a nice friendly guy. The cook is an excellent cook who seems to be able to come out with an amazing array of dishes each night. Even though it was a metro ride out of the city centre, it is well worth the journey, so much show so that we made the journey out to it for most of the nights that we stayed in Lisboa. This is what veggie food should be about. Good value for money and great variety. I'd love to give this place 6* stars for being that extra special.

Pros: Great variety of food, Great value for money, Nice calm place to eat

Cons: A metro ride out of the city centre, Closes a bit early

All We Need Is Here! - Edit

Super nice owner, great buffet (9,95-€ only! / only 2 of 14 plates were not vegan), delicious dessert and nice atmosphere - what else do you need for a nice vegan dinner?

Pros: Variety, Taste, Price

best veggie food in Lisbon - Edit

i love Lisbon for being such a veggie friendly city! this Paladar Zen place is a bit out of the center, but fortunately a 2 minute walk from metro Campo Pequenho on the yellow line. in 2 weeks we came back 4 times to this buffet. the food is definitely the most delicious we tasted on our holiday.

Pros: original & delicious food, great choice, lovely staff

Cons: you need to take the metro a bit

Contributions +23

Wonderful :3 - Edit

A pleasant space with very good food. I recommend.

Quick & Yummy - Edit

Walked in for dinner and was seated right away. Many options cooked and raw. The food was delicious and after a long day the super quick buffet was exactly what we needed. We also ordered fresh carrot juice which hit the spot. Satisfied.

Fantastic Place With A Warm Welcome. English as Well - Edit

This place was fantastic after wandering Lisbon for mediocre veggie options. Most if not all food items are labeled. I found everything to be mostly vegan. The man at the front and the waiters all spoke English. Very moderately priced - about 9 euros for the buffet and a drink. The staff was very efficient - they were very quick to clear plates.

Pros: English, cooked Vegetables, Veggie Sushi

Tasty lunch buffet - Edit

Ate here Saturday lunchtime and was a little worried that there were only 4 other people there.
I shouldn't have been concerned, the food was tasty and had lots of vegan options. The chick pea/tofu curry was good if a little lacking in firepower. The veggie strudel also looked nicefor the veggies.
Desertwas a tasty coconut custard.
Servicewas good, and in english.

Pros: Pleasant modern ambience, Good selection on buffet, Welcoming service

Depends of the day... - Edit

I ate many times in Paladar Zen. Some of them was very good, some of them are just ok. The staff are always very nice. I recomend.

Pros: Friendly Staff, Friendly Atmosphere, Sometimes the food are very good

Perfect restaurant - Edit

Very tasty and nice place with plenty of dishes to pick from. All-you-can-eat approach. Good quality of food.

Pros: Clean and nice place, Big variety of dishes, Friendly and English-speaking staff

Cons: A bit more expensive than average

Its Not Far to The Paladar - Edit

We tried a few restaurants in Lisbon that were either buffet or where you chose 1 or 2 main options accompanied by salads (so virtually buffet without the eat all you want element) - and this was easily the best.
The buffet had a number of varied and very tasty options with equally excellent accompanying hot and salad items. There was sushi on offer also.
The restaurant is really well done out - relaxing but cool too. Service was very professional and friendly.
The food seemed noticably even fresher than in the other places we visited.
Only 5 minutes walk from Campo Pequeno metro station; we were definitely pleased that we made the effort to travel here.
Our best meal in Lisbon :]

Pros: Fresh tasty food, Decor, Service

Amazing vegan food! - Edit

The lunch buffet was really reasonably priced and there was only a couple of things that weren't vegan! They had a delicious salad selection including vegan sushi and then three vegetarian warm dishes with rice and potatoes.
There were three vegan desserts, I had apple crumble and my partner had a sort of vegan panna cotta made from coconut milk. It was really good and we'll definitely go back!

Pros: Good price, Vegan desserts, Great tasting food

Tasty food - Edit

The best vegetarian restaurant I've ever tried! The food was really tasty, everything was well-prepared and with care. And the price is very reasonable. A must in Lisbon, even if a bit off the main areas.

Pros: Tasty, Many options, Reasonably priced

Cons: A bit far from the center

Great Restaurant--lots of great options for vegans - Edit

The manager of this restaurant Nuona was so friendly and accommodating. He was welcoming and friendly. He let us know which of the dishes were vegan (almost all were) and we ate and ate. It is an all you can buffet. They have vegan sushi, seitan dishes, salads, and so on and so forth. I truly recommend it. The deserts are great, I had the apple crumble. We also had great tasting soy cappuccinos. It is a calm atmosphere and definitely worth the visit.

Pros: Fantastic manager, Excellent food and lots of options, Reasonable price

Minimalist Experience - Edit

A true Japanese style minimalist adventure. Great buffet food in a business-like location at the top of the city. Very pleasant seating arrangements, professionally organised and a good option for lunch as well evening dining. The food is of an excellent standard with many vegan options. There is always a hot soup and usually a cold gazpacho. The salads are superb with the aubergine, sushi and tomatoes being stand out for me. On the hot side, things change I am sure, but on the night of our visit on 4 Sept 2013 the choice was impressive consisting of a delectable vegatable puree, a seitan stroganoff, vegetable quiche, soya casserole and spaghetti with oil. Absolutely loved it, another Lisbon veggie buffet banked and thanked

Pros: layout, good food

Cons: location

Convenient, but average quality - Edit

I'm grateful that Paladar Zen exists. For around 8 euro, you can indulge in the all-you-can-eat buffet (when I was there about 3/4 of the offerings were vegan), plus waiters are friendly and service fast. Even still, I just wasn't that excited about the food itself. A tofu dish I tried actually had a strange fishy flavor, and other dishes were just sort of mediocre. Don't get me wrong--I might eat there again [edit by staff- see tos].

Pros: Convenient / fast, Cheap, All-you-can-eat

Cons: Food just mediocre

Interesting food and knowledgeable staff - Edit

A modern, clean lined place where we ate one evening in June 2013. Although not vegan there was a good choice of vegan food, including the vegan sushi! However there was only one vegan dessert. The staff were helpful and knowledgeable.

Pros: Imaginative vegan food, Friendly and helpful staff

Cons: Limited vegan dessert menu

Love it! - Edit

This was my first Vegetarian restaurant and it's my favourite!

Great buffet with a lot of options including Vegetarian Sushi! :)

You can also drink hot or cold tea with your meals and the desserts are perfect for "sweet teeth" people!

Even Moby likes this place! :D

If you visit Lisbon please check this place, you will want to come back! :D

Pros: Great Buffet, Great ambient, Great staff

Cons: Sometimes very crowded

Good option for lunch or dinner! - Edit

My husband and I went to have dinner on Monday night around 9pm. It's a small restaurant, no terrace, it was busy, it has been 7 years its open so I believe the restaurant is going well..
It's a buffet with a selection of soup and bread, salads, grains (it was millet when we went), a selection of sushi, hot dishes such as vegetables, rice, something with eggs.. etc.. It's small but there is enough food. I don't believe it's organic though. They change the menu everyday. They also serve wine. Its not expensive. I would go again but next time would be more at lunch time.. Service was good, people speak portuguese (they understand a little english) and sign of the food is also in portuguese. The waiter told us what was vegan and what was not since Im vegan. Nice place to see and have a quick and healthy meal.

Pros: healthy, gluten free grain, good value

Cons: language

Good buffet - Edit

My partner and I (both vegetarian) visited this restaurant on a Tuesday evening in July 2012. It was pretty quiet but we arrived kind of early (about 7:30) and other people started arriving a bit later, that's just the culture in Portugal.
The food was good, including a large selection of salads and some hot food too. We both thought the salads were excellent and there was vegetarian sushi available too although nothing special.
We paid less than 25 euros in total, which included one drink each. Pretty good value considering it's an all you can eat buffet!

Pros: Good value, Lots of dishes, Nice decor

Cons: Far from city centre, Signs and menu in Portuguese

Clean design restaurant - Edit

Unfortunately this restaurant is not vegan, although it has a vegan offer. When reserved for large (vegan) groups, the food is all vegan.
Good parking and underground nearby.

Pros: Large groups, Vegan when asked (for large groups), central

Cons: Not vegan

all you can eat - Edit

Normally i am not a huuuge eater, but the food at paladar zen was just so amazing, i ate 2 plates and my BF, because everything was so tasty and delicious looking, we had to try as much as we could.:) THE SALADS...a revelation! so good, and so many different ones. the applecrumble...yummy! superfriendly staff and nice athmosphere. its been 6 months since we were in lisbon, and we still sometimes, say how awesome it would be, to go there now and have some allyoucaneat.

Pros: many salads, healthy

Reliable and tasty - Edit

I visited Paladar Zen twice when vacationing in Lisbon in December 2011. I really enjoyed the food and found the staff to be incredibly friendly but the language barrier was a problem because the non-vegan items aren't labelled as such. Both times, we muddled through with our limited Portuguese but it would be easier for everyone if they just made some signs.

Pros: Good selection, Affordable, Nice staff

Cons: Things not labelled as non-vegan

Recommended by vegans - Edit

Fantastic vegan food. We had sushi, soup, warm dishes( with seitan, rice, ...), cold dished ( mixed salads), applecrumble, ...
The best vegan-friendly place in Lisbon. The waiter didn't talk English very welk, but he really tried and we understood each other. He was very friendly and helpful.

Pros: Taste, Price

Cons: Location

Vegan paradise! - Edit

This restaurant is a paradise for vegan people. There are also something vegetarian, but a lot of dishes are vegan! I love it. There is a peacefule atmosphere; you can sit and then you can choose all you want eat! There is a buffet with a different soup every day, there is bread with sauces; cooked and raw vegetables;mix salads; bean, chickpeas, peas; cooked cereals; lasagne; potatoes gateaux; cous cous....
The price is 9.95 euro for the dinner and is "all you can eat". Beverages and cakes are not included in the price.
Everything is very good and well cooked!

Pros: Good food, Price, Location

Cons: Not in the city center, but near metro

Convenient - Edit

I first went to Paladar Zen about 3 years ago, and it was so bad I swore never to go back, but when it became my local veggie restaurant I decided to give it a second chance, and I'm glad I did.
It's not the best restaurant around, but they do have a nice selection of dishes - always soup, always a large selection of salads, and some alright sushi (not Japanese standard, but definitely nice as an extra on your plate). The hot dishes are a bit hit and miss for me. I love their mixed vegetables, but they tend to use too much soya for my liking, and as it's not all vegan, the non-vegan options can be a little disappointing.
Still, it's a 10-minute walk from home, and it's good to get a lot of variety on days I'm too lazy to cook! If you're in the area, I'd definitely recommend it, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get there otherwise.
Staff are friendly, the decor is nice, and the price is relatively reasonable.

Pros: wide selection, sushi and salads, cheaper than city centre

Cons: can lack flavour

The best in Lisbon! - Edit

Paladar Zen is centrally located near o Metro - Campo Pequeno - and is worth the trip if you are anywhere in Lisbon! The food is outstanding, reasonably priced, with a good mix of options in a buffet style. The vegetables and fruit are fresh and, if you feel like "sobremesa" - dessert, I recommend the Chocolate Mousse! The Wait staff were friendly, the restaurant decor was modern and clean. Paladar Zen is a "must stop" restaurant for any vegetariano/vegetariana - vegano/vegana who is in (or visiting) Lisbon.

Pros: Quality of Food, Price, Decor

Excellent food, very nice location - Edit

We were in Lisbon for 4 days...and we had 3 dinners at Palader Zen.
The food is definitely fresh and "yummy". Almost everything is vegan. I tried 3 types of seitan and all 3 were delicious.
Plus the staff was very friendly and kind.

Pros: Excellent food, Good location, Friendly staff

Good, fresh, inexpensive - Edit

The staff was very friendly and helpful. There are good choices of vegan meals and 8,50 € for a Saturday's lunch menu (all you can eat) is very good. The food was fresh and I will definitely stop by again at my next visit to Lisbon. Even though the place is a bit far from the city centre, you can easily get there using the metro (0,90 € a ride) and there is a nice mall/cinama/event place and a few nice places to take a look at, so it is definetly worth the small effort of the ride.

Pros: Fresh, tasty food, Good vegan options, Nice staff

Good buffet and great service - Edit

Good buffet and almost everything is vegan. Also some Portuguese specialities made vegan. Manager(?) of the restaurant was very helpful, friendly and spoke good English.

Pros: Food, Service

Cons: Location, Deserts

A happy surprise - Edit

I was happy to find this restaurant through the Happy Cow on my first and recent visit to Portugal. It was the first vegetarian buffet I have ever been to or even heard about (and I seek them out vegetarian places in the U.S.). I appreciate it's existence!

The food is a good sized buffet; not huge, but quite enough, and the menu changes daily, as I recall. The food was good healthy vegetarian fare, which I enjoyed, though I would have preferred a few some stronger flavors (spices, sauces, etc.). That said, what I ate for the main meal was quite good, and included seitan, vegetables, brown rice, several mixed grain salads, tofu, and other vegetarian/vegan standards. The dessert was remarkably good: I had a passionfruit mousse that was simple and yet incredibly enjoyable.

The price, which I think was 7.50 euros, was quite reasonable for a buffet. My only complaint might be that it was warmer inside than I prefer, to the point where I was sweating a bit during my meal, though still better than the very hot day in Lisbon; on cooler days, I'd guess the temperature inside the restaurant would be fine. And even with a bit of warmth, I'd eat there like that again.

The person at the counter (the owner, I think) seemed to be a nice and approachable fellow who cared about how the restaurant ran. It's clear from the elegant decor of the place, the name, design style, etc., that some thought has gone into Paladar Zen. I'm glad it has. If I were a Lisbon resident living or working downtown I would eat there probably once a week or more. It's too bad I could only go once, since the buffet offerings would be different on other days.

Pros: good value, friendly staff, fabulous dessert

Cons: too warm

Dinner at Paladar Zen in February 2010 - Edit

The food was terrific and the dinner atmosphere was quiet and enjoyable. I am a strict vegan so I was happy to find several good hot dishes for me and many salad offerings at the buffet tables as well. Others at my table were vegetarians, so we all had many choices. The prices are reasonable, especially for vegans in Europe. Go there if you are in Lisbon. The owner knows the rules of a vegan diet and is happy to tell you about preparation of the food. The restaurant is located in Lisbon's financial district. I was told the lunches are busy, but it is quiet during dinner hours. There are about 10 tables in the restaurant. They also offer takeout - a big plate for 9 euros. Again, the food is great, well-prepared, the ingredients are good quality, and fresh too. I would go there again. Wish I could find a restaurant like that in every city in Europe.

Pros: Good food, Vegan offered, Good hours

friendly - Edit

this restaurant have a great decoration a nice desserts but the buffet is very simple and you dont have many choice.the price is expensive for what you have, but its nice to try it once if you want to change a bit.

Cons: buffet , price, location

All you can eat at the heart of Lisboa - Edit

Paladar Zen is and all-you-can-eat buffet in the heart of Lisboa's business centre.
The place is very elegant and if offers a wide choice of vegan options. The price is very reasonable as well.

Pros: quality of the food, good location, nice price

Return to Lisbon Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Paladar Zen closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 12083 times since Aug 2007.